Shite Local Festivals

Gaz

Strangely no.

This is a recurring theme though,

The only time there was a pong over the town was about nine years ago when some sprats were trapped in the cassoon at the dockyard and perished.

the smell was with us for over a month.

Maybe the smell has just been there so long that you don't notice it anymore.

I see that it's Lanimer Day in Lanark coming up over the next week or so. Closer to home we have the Bo'ness Fair (in which Tesco shut, because the staff refuse to work), the Grangemouth Galaday, Linlithgow Marches, Camelon Mariner's Day and so on.

Each of these festivals, from what I've seen, are just used as an excuse for a bunch of folk to get steaming drunk from 8am in the morning and seem to inevitably turn into bigoted song-fests in local pubs.

Anyone from P&B ever taken part in a shitey local festival and ended up in a dive of a local pub for a bigoted sing-song?

When I was in the Cubs I marched in the local Gala Day. I can confirm that I didn't take part in a bigoted sing-song in the local pub. The bigoted sing-songs didn't happen until High School.

Went to the Caithness fair last year, local shite that's treated like the highlight of the year by locals. It was like something out of Father Ted, they had a best Cow/Sheep/Chicken. There were tractors on display and got voted on which farmer had the best.

The cake competition is so competitive they have had to break it down into styles of cakes so diverse someone actually won a best "chocolate rice crispies".

Everyone drinks too much then settle it with a dust up outside the tents. And i'm not talking wee neds, farmers and businessmen rolling on the ground.

Fucking Caithness.

One of my mates is from Lanark, and the way he goes on about it, you would think Lanimer day is basically the greatest thing in the world.

As I live in civilisation, I've never had the misfortune of suffering one of these days.

One of my mates is from Lanark, and the way he goes on about it, you would think Lanimer day is basically the greatest thing in the world.

As I live in civilisation, I've never had the misfortune of suffering one of these days.

Its scabby as f**k, lassies I went to school with would turn up with tramp stamps the Monday after it.

Accidentally came home on Carluke gala day. I'm out of here.

Went out for it once years ago and it was like a warzone. Got a taxi back to Berwick and some local came up and kicked my mate in the back and into the taxi as we were getting in. haha. Totally unprovoked.

arrrrhhhh the old Berwick/Eyemouth lovefest lol. Been here nearly 30 years and I'm still telt on a weekly basis to "f**k off back over the border where I belong you Berwick cnut"

Its well into the common riding season here in the Borders, thinks its galashiels braw lad week next month. I just stay indoors for a few days and avoid all the pish. Still arguing with the mother in law about taking my sons down to the river tweed to see about 40 horses crossing the river at 6am. Aye right over my dead body.

Bo'ness Fair is a gala day IMO.

:lol: I remember calling it a Galla Day once to a Bo'nesser. I thought she was going to give me my head in my hands to play with. Christ they take it seriousily.

My faither in law is on the Straiton Fun Day committee, this means that we all have to troop up there to participate and applaud the locals as they run up to the monument and back.

The highlight was definitely the sheaf tossing. I did it for the first time last summer and got through three or four rounds which wasnt bad. I didn't get my "I'm the biggest tosser in Straiton" T-Shirt which was a source of great sadness to me.

The best thing about the whole day is my kids watching "Grandpa" in his high viz vest, deer stalker, wellies, kilt, engineers glasses and his Sherlock Holmes style pipe grabbing the microphone to bellow at some poor unfortunate who parked in the wrong bit of the fucking field. The waltzing off with the legend "fun day committee" displayed on the back of his vest.

I wonder if Magic Malky will be there this year? He is appearing in court soon accused of some sort of sex offence.

:lol: I remember calling it a Galla Day once to a Bo'nesser. I thought she was going to give me my head in my hands to play with. Christ they take it seriousily.

I'm surprised they haven't arrived here yet to deal with lanky ffc!! I missed Linlithgow Marches for a number of years but I'm back into it now. I catch up with guys I haven't seen for years. There's always a tension around the shows as a result of stupid wee boys trying to get their tongue down someone else's stupid wee lassie (who is in no fit state to tell who's trying to bite her tonsils) and then there's local ned rivalries on top of that. But for the most part it's not bad. Folk get a bit pished, walk round the streets waving like fvck at everyone and then ignore each other for another 12 months. Braw!

Been to the Girvan Folk Festival a few times... seemingly it used to be a big event in the folk music calander but now is more like the Girvan 'I have a guitar and can play the first three bars of Freebird' festival... Always guaranteed to see some sort of altercation between local smackheads and earthy hippy types - most surreal

Aye bad move, she probably wasn't picked for 'Fair Queen' becuase of her mustache. I'm from Bo'ness and proud of not attending the fair for years as the it's just an excuse for the neds (local and otherwise) to get all fucked up. As a child it didn't seem that bad but as a teenager it was shit and even worse as an adult. It was probably better when the pit and docks used to employ everyone.

I see that it's Lanimer Day in Lanark coming up over the next week or so. Closer to home we have the Bo'ness Fair (in which Tesco shut, because the staff refuse to work), the Grangemouth Galaday, Linlithgow Marches, Camelon Mariner's Day and so on.

Each of these festivals, from what I've seen, are just used as an excuse for a bunch of folk to get steaming drunk from 8am in the morning and seem to inevitably turn into bigoted song-fests in local pubs.

Anyone from P&B ever taken part in a shitey local festival and ended up in a dive of a local pub for a bigoted sing-song?

I'm gonnae be working in Bo'ness the day of the Fair and I'm not happy about it.

If you've ever tried to get out of Bo'ness on fair day, you will know its a challenge.

I do enjoy asking them when the gala day is.

I'm very sad like that.