Shite Local Festivals

Gaz

It was the Leith Gala Day on Saturday, from what I was told about it, it's probably a good thing I decided to watch the Scotland game elsewhere.

Next up is the Linlithgow Marches tomorrow, where I'll be catching up with a few mates and trying to avoid all the utter cu[test][/test]nts I can't stand, as well as wondering how anyone can get up to go to the pub at 5 in the morning. That said, I'll probably start at about 10 and make a feeble attempt at pacing myself.

Woodhorn Mining Festival (or whatever it was really called) on Saturday. Wife wanted to take the kids. Alarming number of hi-vis jobsworths telling us exactly which space to park in, in what could generously be described as an unkept field. Entertainment comprised some morris dancing, a brass band and an utterly bizarre act that I can't even describe (it had a man wearing a kilt, I'm not sure if it was supposed to be traditional Scottish or something, it certainly wasn't). The kids seemed to enjoy it though. They had a display all about mining and my 3 year old son decided to dash off inside the model mine. Cue hilarity as I had no idea if he was even allowed to do that or where the other end of it came out, if indeed it came out anywhere at all.

Next up is the Linlithgow Marches tomorrow, where I'll be catching up with a few mates and trying to avoid all the utter cu[test][/test]nts I can't stand, as well as wondering how anyone can get up to go to the pub at 5 in the morning. That said, I'll probably start at about 10 and make a feeble attempt at pacing myself.

First Tuesday after the second Thursday - happy days. I'm riding for the first time (fnar fnar)so will report back on my experience of the day.

First Tuesday after the second Thursday - happy days. I'm riding for the first time (fnar fnar)so will report back on my experience of the day.

No doubt I'll be quite buckled by the end of it, but I'll be heading up to a mate's house for a barbecue, and while I said I'd start drinking at 10, if I'm up there earlier I'll probably have a can at about 9 or so, and my plan for pacing myself will go out the window.

It'll probably be early afternoon before I head into town to take in the procession, and I'll probably eventually end up spending a few hours in the Swan, bumping into a load of folk my dad drank with while he was still a regular.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Met a girl from there once, pretty tidy looking with the worst accent I've ever heard.

Met a girl from there once, pretty tidy looking with the worst accent I've ever heard.

Did you take her up the oxo tower?

Never beat the Carmunnock Highland Games in the 1980s

One mile away from Castlemilk.

But back then a million miles regarding general lifestyle choices.

The local anarchist group put a leaflet through every door in Castlemilk inviting the locals to a free day out.

And bring your own carry out.

It wasn't free of course and since there was a paying beer tent no one mentioned carry outs.

Usual attendance 2,000.

That day 22,000 turned up.

Think there was 98 arrests on the day.

One of the funniest days of my life watching the local Tory farmers doing a runner.