Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

Just finished a book called Ireland Awakes it was an eye opener to the reasons for the founding of such order. Economic factors in an earlier time brought Catholic Protestant unity as in working together to break yoke of England who controlled the finances. Guess what the Ulster protestants (immigrants from Scotland who were in the Linen trade objected on religious grounds because they would be collaborating with those supporting the anti Christ (thus they formed the orange order) catchy music hides the underbelly of hate and ignorance of those who don't believe we are all jock Ramsons burns

A&E thread for that sort of pish

Harsh on himself if he is still there.

Fear not, fans, I made it back relatively quickly considering the circumstances. It was grim though. I made the mistake of parking on Howard Street just outside the horrible St Enoch car park, just opposite that shitty looking Winds pub (formerly "The Whistling Winds").

I got to the Saltmarket and the road was blocked totally while the idiots marched past. I grabbed a passing policeman and asked how long it would be, and fortunately it was only 5 mins or so to go, so I went to the comic shop on Parnie Street to pass the time.

Aside: I love Parnie Street. Just about everything on it is great... but on the topic of comic shops, I used to love Kollectables, which sold back issue comics and old football programmes. I don't think any women ever went in there, because on one occasion my ladyfriend came in to get me out of there, and the guys running it looked at her fearfully. Sadly Kollectables and Plan B Books are both now closed, and Glasgow is poorer for their loss.

Anyway, the march had passed when I came out and I made my way to the Fish Plaice. I got a whole lemon sole for my dinner. I'm roasting it over a bed of baby tomatoes, red onion, garlic and celery, with sprigs of tarragon, basil, thyme and parsley, and in a bit of white wine. Got some mussles to chuck around it.

Also got 3 oysters which I ate earlier. Really good ones, especially one in particular that was that perfect shape that you know will hold a big 'un with loads of juice around it. Finally got to use my oyster knife I bought about 6 months ago, and it was a lot less dangerous than my usual haphazard wrist-slashing attempts to open shellfish safely.

Got a massive French rabbit for tomorrow. No idea why they had French rabbits. We have enough of the buggers. Anyway it looks lovely. Going to make a Basque stew I like tomorrow.

I came out with my purchases feeling quite at one with the world and delighted as I always am at the cheapness of that shop. The value is ridiculous. Got back to the car and my spirits sank as I assessed the traffic jam around me. The Bridgegate was shut off to traffic between Saltmarket and King Street. Because of the bigotathon. 

It took me 25 minutes to circuit the car park and get on to Stockwell Street. Where I realised, d'oh, that the traffic arrangements wanted to send me back round where I'd come from.

Luckily at this point a friendly First Bus employee, who had been dispatched to try and assist their poor drivers at negotiating this mess, pointed out to me that when the lights went green I could (illegally) have the opportunity to ignore all signs and just cut across the whole junction to head West along Clyde Street and to freedom.

This I did with the wind in my hair and images of Thelma and Louise in my mind. It was quite a ride, my friends, quite a ride. I might make a short film about the day sometime. 

Fear not, fans, I made it back relatively quickly considering the circumstances. It was grim though. I made the mistake of parking on Howard Street just outside the horrible St Enoch car park, just opposite that shitty looking Winds pub (formerly "The Whistling Winds").

I got to the Saltmarket and the road was blocked totally while the idiots marched past. I grabbed a passing policeman and asked how long it would be, and fortunately it was only 5 mins or so to go, so I went to the comic shop on Parnie Street to pass the time.

Aside: I love Parnie Street. Just about everything on it is great... but on the topic of comic shops, I used to love Kollectables, which sold back issue comics and old football programmes. I don't think any women ever went in there, because on one occasion my ladyfriend came in to get me out of there, and the guys running it looked at her fearfully. Sadly Kollectables and Plan B Books are both now closed, and Glasgow is poorer for their loss.

Anyway, the march had passed when I came out and I made my way to the Fish Plaice. I got a whole lemon sole for my dinner. I'm roasting it over a bed of baby tomatoes, red onion, garlic and celery, with sprigs of tarragon, basil, thyme and parsley, and in a bit of white wine. Got some mussles to chuck around it.

Also got 3 oysters which I ate earlier. Really good ones, especially one in particular that was that perfect shape that you know will hold a big 'un with loads of juice around it. Finally got to use my oyster knife I bought about 6 months ago, and it was a lot less dangerous than my usual haphazard wrist-slashing attempts to open shellfish safely.

Got a massive French rabbit for tomorrow. No idea why they had French rabbits. We have enough of the buggers. Anyway it looks lovely. Going to make a Basque stew I like tomorrow.

I came out with my purchases feeling quite at one with the world and delighted as I always am at the cheapness of that shop. The value is ridiculous. Got back to the car and my spirits sank as I assessed the traffic jam around me. The Bridgegate was shut off to traffic between Saltmarket and King Street. Because of the bigotathon.

It took me 25 minutes to circuit the car park and get on to Stockwell Street. Where I realised, d'oh, that the traffic arrangements wanted to send me back round where I'd come from.

Luckily at this point a friendly First Bus employee, who had been dispatched to try and assist their poor drivers at negotiating this mess, pointed out to me that when the lights went green I could (illegally) have the opportunity to ignore all signs and just cut across the whole junction to head West along Clyde Street and to freedom.

This I did with the wind in my hair and images of Thelma and Louise in my mind. It was quite a ride, my friends, quite a ride. I might make a short film about the day sometime.

That is a lovely story, told with real feeling, film adaptation should surely happen.

Ps- Any chance of the recipe for the Basque stew?

Afghanistan are back in Stockbridge today looking to repeat last summer's T20 victory over Scotland in the ODI format

Scotland won the toss and put the visitors in to bat at the Grange

It's due to get going in 20 minutes but I reckon the weather will defeat both of them.Hopefully the partnership of Duckworth and Lewis can allow some kind of result

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)