Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

Shame Ireland and nethlerands avoided each other then we could have finally decided weather orange or green kit makes you better at cricket(that is what this is all about isn't it?)

The current tally in all forms of the game is Ireland 6, Netherlands 0, 1 game abandoned.

The dutch also lost all 4 of their meetings with Pakistan

So it would appear that Green is the way to go. Which makes sense as it's going to be easier to read the field if they're all in dayglo jerseys.

In summary Dirty Dave has made a thundering c**t of himself on this thread by

(a) claiming the orange order is not sectarian despite it being an explicitly sectarian organisation,

(b) claiming county down hibbee made up a story about an orangeman being reprimanded for attending his daughter's first communion party (which is more believable, co down hibbee telling porkies or the orange order objecting to their members fraternising with "ta1gs"? I know which one I'd have my money on),

© claiming the orange order are down with their members attending catholic ceremonies despite clear evidence of orangemen being reprimanded for doing just that and

(d) the coup de grace, in an utterly desperate but sadly all too common attempt at deflection, accusing celtic and hibs fans who dare point out the sectarianism of the orange order of being IRA supporters!

So after all that his argument boils down to "yous support hibs/celtic so shut up!" So basically if I supported stenhousemuir the lad would be left bereft of arguments.

To be fair I may have unnecessarily escalated things by comparing the orange order to the kkk. I now realise this was grossly unfair. One is an ethno-religious hate group whose entire reason for being is based on half-baked theories of ethnic and religious supremacy, whose political ideas have scarcely evolved from the far off century in which they were first spawned and whose main supporter base is derived from uneducated redneck white trash scumbags.

The other is the ku klux klan.

To be fair I may have unnecessarily escalated things by comparing the orange order to the kkk. I now realise this was grossly unfair. One is an ethno-religious hate group whose entire reason for being is based on half-baked theories of ethnic and religious supremacy, whose political ideas have scarcely evolved from the far off century in which they were first spawned and whose main supporter base is derived from uneducated redneck white trash scumbags.

The other is the ku klux klan.

It's "entire reason for being" was to protect those in rural areas from attacks by Catholics way back when, but don't let that get in your way.

It's "entire reason for being" was to protect those in rural areas from attacks by Catholics way back when, but don't let that get in your way.

Admittedly I don't know too much about the formation of the KKK Twentytwenty cricket league Orange Order, but from a quick glance at wiki you appear to have given us a very rose-tinted gloss on the whole thing.

Admittedly I don't know too much about the formation of the KKK Twentytwenty cricket league Orange Order, but from a quick glance at wiki you appear to have given us a very rose-tinted gloss on the whole thing.

Not at all. There was all sorts of sectarian conflict on both sides back then, and that is how/why the OO was supposed to have been formed.

"Throughout the 1780s sectarian tension had been building until boiling point in County Armagh.[12] Here the number of Protestants and Catholics in what was then Ireland's most populous county were of roughly equal number and competition between them to rent patches of land near markets was fierce.[12] Dr. William Richardson stated in a detailed analysis of the situation in 1797:By 1786, drunken brawls in the Markethill area of County Armagh between groups known as the Bawn Fleet, Bunkerhill Defenders, and the Nappach Fleet had become openly sectarian,[12] despite originating in a quarrel between two Presbyterians.[13] They then reorganised as the Protestant Peep o' Day Boys and the Catholic Defenders.[12] The next decade in County Armagh was marked by a raging sectarian conflict between both groups.[12]

"much offence had lately been taken because the Catholics in the general increase in wealth had raised the price of land by bidding high when it became vacant. This was the real cause of our ill-humour: [not] the relaxation of the popery laws but the pretence."[12]

Lord Gosford observed of the Peep o' Day Boys that they were a "low set of fellows who with guns and bayonets, and other weapons break open the houses of the Roman Catholicks, and as I am informed treat many of them with cruelty".[12] Some Protestant gentry gave weapons to Catholics so that they could defend themselves.[12] Soon, however, guns were also being given out to the "Protestant Boys" to defend them from attacks by Catholics.[12]

The sectarian violence soon spread to south Armagh where Catholics were a majority and turned on the Protestants "with a ferocity not seen for more than a century".[12] The point of no return occurred on 28 January 1791, when Catholics cut off the tongue and fingers of Mr Barkeley, a popular schoolmaster from Forkhill, and his wife.[12][14] As "the same hereditary enmities handed down from generation to generation" raged to the fore, violence spread to neighbouring counties.[12]"

Not at all. There was all sorts of sectarian conflict on both sides back then, and that is how/why the OO was supposed to have been formed.

I'd really rather not be dragged down into this quagmire, but you've cut it off before they drove 7000 Catholics out of Armagh and beat every Catholic they came across without provocation or distinction, in addition to the fact that you originally made it sound as though the poor Protestants were being victimized as opposed to the 'all sorts of sectarian conflict on both sides' you now refer to.

Edited by The OP

Show me where I appeared to play the victim card please?

Both sides suffered greatly and always have, but the simple fact is that the OO were founded out of this strife with a view to protecting themselves. The moralities of either side are of no interest to me, and this thread will soon get bogged down by all sorts of warped views, so I intend keeping my input to a minimum. I just wonder at the vehemence of some posters on here, although I am not referring to you.