The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

On 28/06/2024 at 12:00, KnightswoodBear said:

I've quite enjoyed The Acolyte.  Don't get the hate for it at all.

It was ok.

Just feel like its a total scattergun approach. Put as much SW content out & maybe something will be good.

Take Andor for example.

Give a shitty spin off to a minor character who was literally only a questgiver to Jyn Erso in R1.

7 hours ago, Venti said:

It was ok.

Just feel like its a total scattergun approach. Put as much SW content out & maybe something will be good.

Take Andor for example.

Give a shitty spin off to a minor character who was literally only a questgiver to Jyn Erso in R1.

Its like they also try to force (no pun intended) too much into the shows as well

The acolyte had potential, back in the pre skywalker days, lots of jedi, sith pulling strings in the background, but they try and over complicate it with shit like witches and creating the twins blah blah blah

Its not the worst storyline granted, but what made star wars enjoyable (with regards to jedi, sith, the force etc) is the use of these magical looking things, lightsabers for example were originally known as THE weapon, nothing could stop it, now we have two differing types of armour that can, its lost its magical appeal

We hardly see the force being used even though its this amazingly powerful thing that only certain people can manipulate and wield, 

For me, what made the clone wars animated series so good, was its absolute basics in stories, the war between republic and separatists, granted there was a few dodgy stories woven into the whole thing, but overall its basic "good vs bad" with a little bit of grey thrown in made it an easy and enjoyable watch

The battle in the forest in the acolyte was bloody good imo, but waiting till ep 5 for that was ridiculous, give us more fight scenes like that 

• 4 weeks later...

Well finally got to binge watch the rest of the Acolyte now it's finished its drip feeding weekly episodes. Got to say, not sure what the point of it all was, is it heading somewhere in another series that will have some significance. I mean Andor tied in with the films, and other spin offs had links too, but the Acolyte just seems pointless.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

6 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Well finally got to binge watch the rest of the Acolyte now it's finished its drip feeding weekly episodes. Got to say, not sure what the point of it all was, is it heading somewhere in another series that will have some significance. I mean Andor tied in with the films, and other spin offs had links too, but the Acolyte just seems pointless.

It does kind of tie in with the films.  Anakin was a virgince in the force and was created.  The twins likewise by the witches.  The creepy cave dweller you see in Episode 8 is Darth Plagueis the Wise.  Who was of course Palpatine's master.

The fight scenes in The Acolyte were pretty good, but there wasn't much else there to keep me interested.  it had such a negative reaction online I can't see them going with a second series, although with the introduction of Darth Plagueis it would very interesting to see where they would go.

36 minutes ago, Loki said:

It does kind of tie in with the films.  Anakin was a virgince in the force and was created.  The twins likewise by the witches.  The creepy cave dweller you see in Episode 8 is Darth Plagueis the Wise.  Who was of course Palpatine's master.

The fight scenes in The Acolyte were pretty good, but there wasn't much else there to keep me interested.  it had such a negative reaction online I can't see them going with a second series, although with the introduction of Darth Plagueis it would very interesting to see where they would go.

Aye and Yoda was there at the end too, but it still doesn't seem like it goes anywhere, just pointless really. 

You always need a good guy to get behind, but everyone in it was guilty of some wrong doing, and the twins were annoying arseholes who i was wishing death upon*, can't really say i got behind any of them, even when the Jedi were dropping like flies, i didn't really care.

*which would've been fine if there was a good guy i could get behind fighting against them, i didn't like Anakin (even before he was Darth Vader), or Kylo Ren either.

The Acolyte reminded me of the DC shows on The CW. The occasional good scene, but otherwise something playing in the background while I flick through my phone.

I really enjoyed Andor and Rogue One because they explored other stories in the SW universe away from the Jedi.  Same reason I liked the Battlefront: Twilight Company novel.

Pretty much Disney is now hoping the wee cameos and Easter Eggs will keep people interested.  Acolyte was largely shite apart from Episode in the middle with all the fighting.

Andor was brilliant. Obi-Wan I really liked for the most of it. Mandalorian seasons one and two were good, season three shite.  Book of Boba Fett was decent until it got high jacked by the Mando story and went shite.  Ahsoka was reasonably good, I would certainly watch season two.  Acolyte wasn’t very good.

i bought into the Force Awakens hype, but generally hate it now, it’s just a reboot of A New Hope.  Nothing original in it.

I actually liked The Last Jedi mainly as it ripped up what the first film did, it certainly has flaws but enjoyed it more than the other two.

Rise of Skywalker must be the shittest film I’ve ever seen.  Certainly worst of the franchise and I’m including Battle for Endor and Caravan of Courage in that.

Rogue One was brilliant, really cool film.

Solo was a very enjoyable heist movie.  Alden and Donald were not too bad as Han and Lando.

Overall Disney haven’t done very well with the franchise, lots of cool bits but not enough substance to most of it.

They should just go to Christopher Nolan with a bucket of money and say make some Starwars films.  Each one would be guaranteed to generate £1bn.  You could sell the first one out without even needing a trailer. 

13 hours ago, Loki said:

i bought into the Force Awakens hype, but generally hate it now, it’s just a reboot of A New Hope.  Nothing original in it.

JJ Abrams really isn't the master film-maker people thought he was 15 years ago. 

He's had a crack at both Star Wars and Star Trek and fallen short in both.

Hopefully the Taika Waititi "Star Wars" movie has been cancelled permanently.

I can just see it: "Star Wars: Jar Jar Begins".

If Joss Whedon wasn't a Hollywood pariah he would be the perfect candidate to breath new life into the franchise.

"Serenity" and "Firefly" are better than every "Star Wars" incarnation (apart from the original trilogy and "Rogue One") combined.

4 hours ago, Chripper said:

If Joss Whedon wasn't a Hollywood pariah he would be the perfect candidate to breath new life into the franchise.

I used to love Joss Whedon’s stuff. I even continued reading the Buffy and Angel comics once the series ended. 

Back around 2018, Whedon co-wrote a spin-off comic about Giles. At first, I thought it was someone doing a pastiche of Whedon-isms (I felt the same about his Justice League re-shoots). But the worst part was the actual story. Giles, still an adult mentally but now in the body of a teenager, goes back to high school and becomes besotted with a fellow student. There’s some throwaway explanation that it’s due to teenage hormones, but it just felt off to me. Especially as Whedon has used self-insert characters previously (eg Zander). It felt even worse when the allegations broke about his behaviours around women and the claim that he was banned from being alone around Michelle Trachtenberg. 

1 hour ago, Laid Back Maverick said:

I used to love Joss Whedon’s stuff. I even continued reading the Buffy and Angel comics once the series ended. 

Back around 2018, Whedon co-wrote a spin-off comic about Giles. At first, I thought it was someone doing a pastiche of Whedon-isms (I felt the same about his Justice League re-shoots). But the worst part was the actual story. Giles, still an adult mentally but now in the body of a teenager, goes back to high school and becomes besotted with a fellow student. There’s some throwaway explanation that it’s due to teenage hormones, but it just felt off to me. Especially as Whedon has used self-insert characters previously (eg Zander). It felt even worse when the allegations broke about his behaviours around women and the claim that he was banned from being alone around Michelle Trachtenberg. 

Wow. Really? Respect! When those shows were over I just left. I downloaded the ecomics, but never really got round to reading them.

Are they worth it?

Interesting. I've not heard of the Giles spin-off. It sounds like a strange premise. Talk about putting a creepy vibe to the "Freaky Friday" thing.

Yeah. I heard about the not being allowed alone with Michelle T (I'm not even sure I want to know why).

As far as his insistence that Xander was based on him. No chance. Xander was brave and he had values. I doubt very much that Joss would've rebuffed a hot blonde who was under a love spell ("Betwitched, bothered and beeildered"), let alone be willing to sacrifice his life to save the world ("Grave")

The only thing Joss has in common with Xander is their sarcastic humour.

I think that's why the "BtVs" fans hate Xander. They associate him with Joss. Which is totally unfair. I love Xander.

Joss is more like Warren with a dash of Jonathan: a social outcast like Jonathan and an amoral sociopath like Warren.

When news broke of Joss's behaviour I struggled with my conscience. I think all of his fans did. It was a shocker. From a feminist to a serial cheat and a toxic boss.

Have you watched the "Angel" pilot on DVD? Early 2000s I watched it with the commentary. Remember the scene when Angel saved the blonde and gave her a place to say and Angel said something like "You've had enough men taking advantage of you".

Then on commentary, Joss let his good guy mask slip when he said "You've probably read about this type of man in books". Translation "I would take advantage of her".

I noted at the time that it was a really weird thing to say. Talk about red flags.

After a year or two I came to the conclusion that it's important to separate an artist from their art.

Why should we miss out just because the person who made them is a megalomaniac bullying creep.

8 hours ago, Chripper said:

Wow. Really? Respect! When those shows were over I just left. I downloaded the ecomics, but never really got round to reading them.

Are they worth it?

Interesting. I've not heard of the Giles spin-off. It sounds like a strange premise. Talk about putting a creepy vibe to the "Freaky Friday" thing.

Yeah. I heard about the not being allowed alone with Michelle T (I'm not even sure I want to know why).

As far as his insistence that Xander was based on him. No chance. Xander was brave and he had values. I doubt very much that Joss would've rebuffed a hot blonde who was under a love spell ("Betwitched, bothered and beeildered"), let alone be willing to sacrifice his life to save the world ("Grave")

I think that's why the "BtVs" fans hate Xander. They associate him with Joss. Which is totally unfair. I love Xander.

Joss is more like Warren with a dash of Jonathan: a social outcast like Jonathan and an amoral sociopath like Warren.

When news broke of Joss's behaviour I struggled with my conscience. I think all of his fans did. It was a shocker. From a feminist to a serial cheat and a toxic boss.

Have you watched the "Angel" pilot on DVD? Early 2000s I watched it with the commentary. Remember the scene when Angel saved the blonde and gave her a place to say and Angel said something like "You've had enough men taking advantage of you".

Then on commentary, Joss let his good guy mask slip when he said "You've probably read about this type of man in books". Translation "I would take advantage of her".

I noted at the time that it was a really weird thing to say. Talk about red flags.

After a year or two I came to the conclusion that it's important to separate an artist from their art.

Why should we miss out just because the person who made them is a megalomaniac bullying creep.

They say never meet your heroes, i loved his work, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Serenity, didn't know anything about his personal life though, sounds a creepy b*****d. 

15 hours ago, Chripper said:

Are they worth it?

The comics are hit-and-miss. Without the limitations of film, they often go big with varying results. The personal relationship can feel problematic, Xander and Dawn are a couple for example.

As Liviforever said, never meet your heroes…

7 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

They say never meet your heroes, i loved his work, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Serenity, didn't know anything about his personal life though, sounds a creepy b*****d. 

Yeah. I was thinking that, too.

Sounds like he has Narcissist Personality Disorder. The fact that he's never apologised, or even admitted any wrongdoings, paints a person with NPD.

1 hour ago, Laid Back Maverick said:

The comics are hit-and-miss. Without the limitations of film, they often go big with varying results. The personal relationship can feel problematic, Xander and Dawn are a couple for example.

As Liviforever said, never meet your heroes…

Yeah. I read about the Xander and Dawn relationship.

As per usual, fans made a big hoopla into that on Reddit, but I don't really see it as much of an issue.

There's only 6 years of an age gap between Dawn and Xander.

Ironically, these are the same people who are cool about the 225 year age gap between Buffy and Angel. 😛

That's at least three BtVs fans here. It's nice being in such good company. :)

Edited by Chripper

Make that 4... Delighted to see the chat about Buffy. It is easily my favourite ever TV show.

Once queued up at Forbidden Planet in Edinburgh to meet Amber Benson ☺️

Never got into the comics, tried listening to the Slayers audio drama but didn't manage to finish it despite it bringing my fave Cordelia Chase, front and centre. 

I liked Xander when the show came out originally, but watching it now I'm older l, he really gets on my nerves.