The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

10 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

completely agree. its a mystery that nothing comes even close in the next five SW movies - all seem like rehashes of the main score from eps 4,5 and 6 and have been dialled in. 

I think both complemented each other brilliantly, the fight was good and the music was good, combined they produced an iconic scene, 

John williams really knew his stuff 

I think the best piece of music since Duel of the Fates was "The Spark"  which had Luke walk out on to the field of Crait.

If you skip ahead to about 2:15

I also like "Battle of the Herores" from Revenge of the Sith but that has shades of Duel of the Fates through it.

The music helped that massively, duel of the fates is one of the best scores ive ever heard in films 

Everything about it. The music, the choreography, the tension as they have to wait on the gates opening.

The fighting once Qui-Gon is down is amazing. They are so tight and the speed they do it at is amazing.

On 23/12/2019 at 15:50, accies1874 said:

, but it's a shame (yet interesting) to have watched how the public's opinion of the franchise has changed so much in four years and five films, from mass hysteria in the buildup to TFA, to rage after TLJ, then, from what I can tell, apathy around Solo and TROS. 

I genuinely find it baffling that the hype that Star Wars still manages to generate tbh, by all accounts the original trilogy was well received, maybe with it being before my time I'm not quite as emotionally invested but the two subsequent trilogys have been absolutely garbage, f**k knows how people are falling over themselves to make excuses for it. The last decent film was in 1983!

7 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Everything about it. The music, the choreography, the tension as they have to wait on the gates opening.

The fighting once Qui-Gon is down is amazing. They are so tight and the speed they do it at is amazing.

I think the whole fight, i know its choreographed that way but watching maul hold off obi wan and qui gon really grabs you into it, the lightsaber action is fantastic 

I genuinely find it baffling that the hype that Star Wars still manages to generate tbh, by all accounts the original trilogy was well received, maybe with it being before my time I'm not quite as emotionally invested but the two subsequent trilogys have been absolutely garbage, f**k knows how people are falling over themselves to make excuses for it. The last decent film was in 1983!
You're a feisty little one. But you'll soon learn some respect.

23 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Yeah the last jedi kinda screwed things up, almost like they wanted to tell a new story but disney wanted to milk the old guard one last time

Think they wanted to continue the darker more morally ambiguous themes that added a bit of depth to Rogue One with TLJ, but the fanboys didn't like it because they wanted Luke to be a Marvel style superhero rather than a washed up hasbeen who redeems himself with one last blast from the past. The problem for Disney is that the same fanboys don't seem to like having Rey as the Marvel style superhero, so one last desperate trundle out for the old guard is all that's probably holding this episode up at the box office and stopping it from being an outright flop like the Han Solo film. The last nostalgia card they have left is Ewan McGregor as Obiwan but how do you turn his hermit years on Tatooine into something worth a big budget trilogy? JJ Abrams may have done to the Star Wars franchise what he did to Star Trek on motion pictures by going for regurgitated image over substance and leaving it with no obvious way ahead in terms of a narrative.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

28 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think they wanted to continue the darker more morally ambiguous themes that added a bit of depth to Rogue One with TLJ, but the fanboys didn't like it because they wanted Luke to be a Marvel style superhero rather than a washed up hasbeen who redeems himself with one last blast from the past. The problem for Disney is that the same fanboys don't seem to like having Rey as the Marvel style superhero, so one last desperate trundle out for the last guard is all that's probably holding this episode up at the box office and stopping it from being an outright flop like the Han Solo film. The last nostalgia card they have left is Ewan McGregor as Obiwan but how do you turn his hermit years on Tatooine into something worth a big budget trilogy? JJ Abrams may have done to the Star Wars franchise what he did to Star Trek on motion pictures by going for regurgitated image over substance and leaving it with no obvious way ahead in terms of a narrative.

Cant argue with that, star wars as box office might be fucked now that chewie and lando is all thats left, 

Only thing they can do is maybe go back to proper jedi and sith times, KOTOR style, 

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think they wanted to continue the darker more morally ambiguous themes that added a bit of depth to Rogue One with TLJ, but the fanboys didn't like it because they wanted Luke to be a Marvel style superhero rather than a washed up hasbeen who redeems himself with one last blast from the past. The problem for Disney is that the same fanboys don't seem to like having Rey as the Marvel style superhero, so one last desperate trundle out for the old guard is all that's probably holding this episode up at the box office and stopping it from being an outright flop like the Han Solo film. The last nostalgia card they have left is Ewan McGregor as Obiwan but how do you turn his hermit years on Tatooine into something worth a big budget trilogy? JJ Abrams may have done to the Star Wars franchise what he did to Star Trek on motion pictures by going for regurgitated image over substance and leaving it with no obvious way ahead in terms of a narrative.

Can't argue with any of that.  The Last Jedi developed the new characters, and gave them depth, and then in the third act it wasn't built upon.  They should have had JJ do all three, or given IX to Rian Johnson.  Disney too worried about box office receipts and fan boys in the end.

Ewan McGregor is going to be Obi-Wan in a TV show in Disney Plus., I think six one hour episodes.  I can see them making a Mandalorian film in the future too, once the a couple of seasons have aired.

I'm surely not the only one who would like to see Palpatine's rise as a Sith? And the story of the Sith in general tbh
Id love to see more on Darth maul to be honest.
Where did he go after phantom menace
How did he get back together for his appearance in solo?
Who trained him. What's his light sabre origin...

That would be more interesting than an obiwan show

6 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

Id love to see more on Darth maul to be honest.
Where did he go after phantom menace
How did he get back together for his appearance in solo?
Who trained him. What's his light sabre origin...

That would be more interesting than an obiwan show

Darth mauls recovery was shown on the clone wars animated series