Car advice

6 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Any electric car owners on here? Mrs is self employed and think based on car use for tax purposes the ‘greener’ a car the more she can write off etc.

Had a shot of an i3 BMW the other day. Pretty space age inside and really quick too around town. No use for me as don't have a drive/dedicated parking space.

My 12 year old astra diesel may on it's way out there's a grinding from the clutch bearing in neutral and it's a cdti so cost of a new clutch and probably flywheel as well is probably as much as the cars worth.

Finances are a bit tight at the mo so may be buying a cheap shitter to get around for a few months or bite the bullet and get financed up.

4 minutes ago, pub car king said:

My 12 year old astra diesel may on it's way out there's a grinding from the clutch bearing in neutral and it's a cdti so cost of a new clutch and probably flywheel as well is probably as much as the cars worth.

Finances are a bit tight at the mo so may be buying a cheap shitter to get around for a few months or bite the bullet and get financed up.

Plenty of dealers will give you way more than it's worth as a deposit on a finance deal. Probably be a help cash-flow wise if you know you'd got something new and reliable that's only going to cost you the fuel each month.

I work for a car dealership, not as a salesman of course, and I got £5000 p/x for my 14 plate Corsa and a staff discount on a 16 plate Mazda 3.  Only paying £148 a month.  Great  wee car too.  It's a 2 litre straight petrol, but still nippy enough.

Most places are desperate for your business so will take the value of your car as a massive deposit.  As Shandon Par says, what a difference it can make to your monthly payments.

Had a shot of an i3 BMW the other day. Pretty space age inside and really quick too around town. No use for me as don't have a drive/dedicated parking space.

Yeh i like the i3 but shes seen a couple of those tesla 3’s in the states and seems happy to wait etc so maybe be getting one of them, just seen that the government will give you an interest free loan of £35,000 to buy a car also, win!

I know what I’d rather have for £35Kish.
I just found a great car on Auto Trader:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808229758056

The tesla wont be £35k, it’ll be closer to 27k. I like the audi a8 but we wouldnt get much tax relief off that and would cost a fortune to fuel, thats why we’re looking at electric cars.

18 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The tesla wont be £35k, it’ll be closer to 27k. I like the audi a8 but we wouldnt get much tax relief off that and would cost a fortune to fuel, thats why we’re looking at electric cars.

Think you'll struggle to buy a basic Tesla with no add ons.

27 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Dunno about others but I was referring to the Focus ST from around 5 years ago. Definitely wasn’t “an absolute fucking bucket” though.

If it's this shape..

Ford_Focus_ST_(11).jpg.4789b8dd2a98632222f9039ccab2f467.jpg

Its a fucking bucket.

New shape is a lot better but it's hardly a thrilling ride. You'd be better spending £20k on an older rs6.

If it's this shape..
Ford_Focus_ST_(11).jpg.4789b8dd2a98632222f9039ccab2f467.jpg
Its a fucking bucket.
New shape is a lot better but it's hardly a thrilling ride. You'd be better spending £20k on an older rs6.

There were far better looking/better made cars than the old ST and the same goes for the current one, but the old ones were a helluva lot of fun to drive and “a fucking bucket” is harsh.

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

There were far better looking/better made cars than the old ST and the same goes for the current one, but the old ones were a helluva lot of fun to drive and “a fucking bucket” is harsh.

I've never said there's anything wrong with one, but they're cheap and nasty to sit inside, like a bucket.

The cheaper the car the more fun you'll have, I reckon. Best fun I've had in a car is my first one, a shitty wee rusty thing you could treat like a go kart, current one is far quicker but harder to have that much fun in.