Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

7 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Sadly, if we want him to play for Scotland it seems we have to hope he’s good but not too good. 

Agreed.

That's why I'm surprised that Hackney switched back to England.

Really?

Gotta admire his optimism and self confidence... but... no.

Kinda surprised that Miller Thomson isn't in the u21s. He looks like a great prospect. Very lightweight, though. A gust of wind and he'll end up at Den's park.

Edited by Chripper

8 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

If our young players were better then more of them would get game-time. The environment is perfect for good players to thrive and grow, but unfortunately they're mostly just shite no-hopers.

Is this the first tongue-out-of-cheek post from you, ever?

Shame on you!

On 21/08/2024 at 14:55, Butters Scotch said:

Of course it is a factor, the homegrown rule has (being at an English club for three years minimum between 16 and 21) has changed the way English clubs have looked at youth players and a lot of them are now shopping in Scotland more than ever before. It's well highlighted in media.

Getting in a player from Scotland who is from the UK, speaks the language, similar culture etc is more likely to stay at the club for three years or more than someone from Spain for example. Also, Brexit has made it more difficult for clubs to qualify players as homegrown because they can't sign foreign-born players under 18 making it even more likely for English clubs to target Scottish players.

Furthermore, in the Premier League, you are required to have at least eight homegrown players in your season squad so it makes total sense for these clubs to look at Scotland for youth players.

Being generous, there are maybe 10 ‘high profile’ youth players moving to England each year. It’s probably less than that. Either we only produce 10 players a year in this country potentially worthy of professional football, or we are exceptionally poor at youth development and the 10 or so who go are simply scratching the surface of the talent available. I am an optimist and think the latter is more likely. Get the systems in place and we should be capable, in this football mad country, of producing many more professional footballers of a decent standard every year.

I hate to reference them but England seem to have got their shit together big time. Their academies are stuffed full of exceptional talent and they are now bringing through multiple international to world class players every year. They have facilities and coaches we can only dream of, but they don’t have a higher percentage of football loving kids to train than we do. Comparatively we are nowhere near them, or even smaller countries like Denmark, Croatia, Austria etc. we need to do better and pointing at a few going to England each year as an excuse to absolve our poor performance isn’t going to help.

15 hours ago, Londonwell said:

Forsyth (Norwich) and Kelly (Millwall) starting in the EFL Cup tonight. Be interested to see how they get on. 

Forsyth did ok I believe, hit the post in the first half. Got about 6p mins.

kelly did not do well I hear, hooked at half time.

I didn’t watch either game, that’s only what I’ve read.

1 hour ago, A Diamond For Me said:

There's a kid who is going to make it big.  Rudi can't fail.

Not in Darren Young's eyes obviously. We had him on loan for the second half of last season and Darren never gave him a sniff.....obviously a player that got us relegated was more suited.

Good luck to the lad, certainly looks a handy player from what I saw, and so far in his games for Hibs. 

10 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Not in Darren Young's eyes obviously. We had him on loan for the second half of last season and Darren never gave him a sniff.....obviously a player that got us relegated was more suited.

Good luck to the lad, certainly looks a handy player from what I saw, and so far in his games for Hibs. 

He was very good in the league cup pumping of Queen's Park earlier this season.

40 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Lennon Miller not starting for the 21’s is pretty wild. 

Especially as Leon King is playing in central midfield

Plus Daniel Kelly who is the same age but hasn't really played much first team football

26 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Especially as Leon King is playing in central midfield

Plus Daniel Kelly who is the same age but hasn't really played much first team football

From what I've seen, King's done pretty well in midfield this campaign and that might be where his future lies. I know next to nothing about Kelly (is this his u21 debut?), but that's who I was surprised to see ahead of Miller.

Watched the 21s on Friday night.   Making allowances for some of the call ups to the full squad really hampering the selection, you -as always- have to wonder what Gemmill's remit is.  For Lennon Miller not only to not start ahead of Kelly,  who was anonymous, but not even get off the bench is ridiculous.

As far as the game - the spells after we went behind both times were the best we played all night.   The tactics were the usual 9 men behind the ball and knock it long dross he always comes up with in important games

17 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Watched the 21s on Friday night.   Making allowances for some of the call ups to the full squad really hampering the selection, you -as always- have to wonder what Gemmill's remit is.  For Lennon Miller not only to not start ahead of Kelly,  who was anonymous, but not even get off the bench is ridiculous.

Could he have been carrying a knock or some kind of injury?? Quite easy to jump to conclusions, we all do it.