Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

My OnePlus 5 arrived from Gear Best the other day and after booking an appointment with online support they installed the UK version of the OS for me last night via remote assistance. The phone itself seems absolutely brilliant so far but i'm having a bit of an issue with charging. When I use the dash charger supplied the phone will charge extremely quickly, but seems to stop entirely at 85%. If I switch the USB charger in to my own fast charger that I have here the charging will resume and it will go right to 100% relatively quickly. I'm wondering if there might be a setting somewhere that stops the dash charging at a specified point? I'm a bit paranoid now too about this being a genuine OnePlus, are Gear Best 100% legit? 

18 minutes ago, bopolopoluss1 said:

My OnePlus 5 arrived from Gear Best the other day and after booking an appointment with online support they installed the UK version of the OS for me last night via remote assistance. The phone itself seems absolutely brilliant so far but i'm having a bit of an issue with charging. When I use the dash charger supplied the phone will charge extremely quickly, but seems to stop entirely at 85%. If I switch the USB charger in to my own fast charger that I have here the charging will resume and it will go right to 100% relatively quickly. I'm wondering if there might be a setting somewhere that stops the dash charging at a specified point? I'm a bit paranoid now too about this being a genuine OnePlus, are Gear Best 100% legit? 

That's normal for smartphones with the new fast charging feature. To help extend battery life it slows down when it get to 75-90%, then charges even slower between 90-100%. My Bluboo Maya Max was the same.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/dash-charging-problem.559373/

Nah, it isn't just slowing down, it completely stops. I left it for over an hour earlier and it didn't move from 85% to 86% and when I look on ampere (or the phone's own battery checker) it tells me that the phone isn't charging. From scouting around online it appears as though there is a particular issue with the charger Gear Best are sending out to customers based in Europe. Best solution I can see so far is to order myself a new one online but it's going to cost £25. 

13 hours ago, bopolopoluss1 said:

Nah, it isn't just slowing down, it completely stops. I left it for over an hour earlier and it didn't move from 85% to 86% and when I look on ampere (or the phone's own battery checker) it tells me that the phone isn't charging. From scouting around online it appears as though there is a particular issue with the charger Gear Best are sending out to customers based in Europe. Best solution I can see so far is to order myself a new one online but it's going to cost £25. 

Do you need a new fast charging charger? Its got a USB-C connector, so you could get a generic charger for less.

On 8/23/2017 at 03:12, energyzone said:

Let me know.  I'm waiting on a Redmi 4X arriving from Gearbest.

Ordered on 10th August and still hadn't heard anything 10 days later so sent them an e-mail indicating I would be cancelling the order if there was going to be a significant hold-up.  Lo and behold I received an e-mail back about an hour later telling me it was being shipped immediately.

Very pleased with the Redmi 4X so far. Was a bit concerned by what the Miui OS would be like, but its not noticeably different to Android. Battery life is great, would say probably better than the Umi Super, even though the battery is smaller. Really suprised at how thin the phone is given that it is a 4000mah battery, its about half the thickness of the Umi. Had a call go silent half way through, but dont know if that was the phone or the connection. But all in very pleased indeed, but haven't had a chance to have a proper test of it yet though

Have ordered the misses an Oukitel C3 (she was whinging she couldn't get face filters on instagram as hers was so old!!) at less than £50 for 16gb memory, 1.3Ghz processor and Android 7 it looks a bargin!

9 hours ago, Mr X said:

Do you need a new fast charging charger? Its got a USB-C connector, so you could get a generic charger for less.

Nah, not really. I've got a tartantech fast charger here that I bought a few months ago. That being said, if i've paid £400+ for something, i'd expect everything to work as it should. I'll get in touch with Gear Best and see what they'll do for me.

11 hours ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

I know you like your big screens Mr X., so how about a smartphone with an 8" screen?:lol:

https://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_663823.html?currency=GBP&vip=759979&gclid=CI-K7MaijNYCFc637QodZyQKlg

I was looking for an 8" screen before I bought my Maya Max.

Just got my Bluboo S1 through in the post this morning after a month & a day wait. Was all chuffed up until I went to install my sim and micro sd card in it, only to find it takes the smaller nano sim card rather than the micro sim card the Maya Max takes. Another 3-5 day wait for a new sim from 3. :bairn

Just got my Bluboo S1 through in the post this morning after a month & a day wait. Was all chuffed up until I went to install my sim and micro sd card in it, only to find it takes the smaller nano sim card rather than the micro sim card the Maya Max takes. Another 3-5 day wait for a new sim from 3. :bairn

If there is a 3 shop near you then you get it for free. Only takes a few minutes