Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

So, a few thoughts on the Doogee Y6 Max...

Firstly, it is more of a tablet than a phone. It has a 'one hand mode' which shrinks the screen size. Camera seems pretty good and so far the battery is lasting easily over a day between charges. The viewing quality (1080p?) is a noticeable upgrade.
Apart from that it feels pretty much the same as a Maya Max, which is no bad thing!

I got it for £120 on eBay, needed a phone asap. Arrived within 4 days brand new and boxed.

GearBest refunded me £80 for my OnePlus 5 because of the broken charger. I'd only asked them for £30 so i'm quite chuffed with that. I spoke to OnePlus support to see about ordering a new UK dash charger and they've sent me one out for free so it's been a bit of a winner all round.

So my impressions on the Bluboo S1 aren't too good. Probably should have done more homework on it before I ordered one. My biggest gripe is with charging. The cable Bluboo supply has a slightly longer head on it compared to the standard run of the mill type C cables. When you have the  protective cover on it like the one supplied with the Maya Max, even using the charging cable that Bluboo supply, you have to force it in quite a bit to get it to start charging, which is going to cause problems after a while. With the other type C cables I have, it just wont charge with the cover on and with the cover off you still have to use some force to get it to charge.  Definitely a design fault.  And as I tended to use a  longer 3 metre cable for charging  my phone at night, so that I could place it on my bedside cabinet, as I don't have any sockets nearby a longer cable is necessary.  Also had problems with the sim tray. Had to get a smaller nano sim from 3 as apparently all new models now use these. I couldn't activate the 1st one I got from my local 3 store for some reason, so went back to get a replacement sim, but  I couldn't get the sim tray to open to swap sims over. I had to take it to a repair shop nearby and after several attempts they eventually managed to open it.  TBF, they said the micro SD card had slipped out of place and that was why it was jamming, so maybe that could have been down to me. I didn't expect there to be a massive difference between the 5.5" screen of the S1 and the 6" screen of the Maya Max but it is certainly more than I thought it would be. The camera is a bit better than the Max but not as good a loudspeaker.  The sharp FHD display is really nice and I like the feel of Android 7.1.  The mediatek Helio P25 chip has plenty of power for operating several apps at once and is pretty fast, and I haven't experienced any lag with heavy gaming. 

Charging the phone worries me with the force you have to use on the plug to get the device to charge. It's not something I should be having to do with a new phone and would most likely become a major problem after a while and with my Maya Max dying due to charging issues I'm not prepared to take the risk. I would send the phone back to Gearbest but I don't want to be left without a phone for a long period of time, so I have ordered another phone and will sell the S1 when my new one arrives.

I have ordered  this one.  It's a bit more expensive than the S1 but the spec for the money seems really good, especially the 2k display. The reviews I've seen have been positive too, so fingers crossed!

9 hours ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

So my impressions on the Bluboo S1 aren't too good. Probably should have done more homework on it before I ordered one. My biggest gripe is with charging. The cable Bluboo supply has a slightly longer head on it compared to the standard run of the mill type C cables. When you have the  protective cover on it like the one supplied with the Maya Max, even using the charging cable that Bluboo supply, you have to force it in quite a bit to get it to start charging, which is going to cause problems after a while. With the other type C cables I have, it just wont charge with the cover on and with the cover off you still have to use some force to get it to charge.  Definitely a design fault.  And as I tended to use a  longer 3 metre cable for charging  my phone at night, so that I could place it on my bedside cabinet, as I don't have any sockets nearby a longer cable is necessary.  Also had problems with the sim tray. Had to get a smaller nano sim from 3 as apparently all new models now use these. I couldn't activate the 1st one I got from my local 3 store for some reason, so went back to get a replacement sim, but  I couldn't get the sim tray to open to swap sims over. I had to take it to a repair shop nearby and after several attempts they eventually managed to open it.  TBF, they said the micro SD card had slipped out of place and that was why it was jamming, so maybe that could have been down to me. I didn't expect there to be a massive difference between the 5.5" screen of the S1 and the 6" screen of the Maya Max but it is certainly more than I thought it would be. The camera is a bit better than the Max but not as good a loudspeaker.  The sharp FHD display is really nice and I like the feel of Android 7.1.  The mediatek Helio P25 chip has plenty of power for operating several apps at once and is pretty fast, and I haven't experienced any lag with heavy gaming. 

Charging the phone worries me with the force you have to use on the plug to get the device to charge. It's not something I should be having to do with a new phone and would most likely become a major problem after a while and with my Maya Max dying due to charging issues I'm not prepared to take the risk. I would send the phone back to Gearbest but I don't want to be left without a phone for a long period of time, so I have ordered another phone and will sell the S1 when my new one arrives.

I have ordered  this one.  It's a bit more expensive than the S1 but the spec for the money seems really good, especially the 2k display. The reviews I've seen have been positive too, so fingers crossed!

Hello, my next phone :) 

I've spent all morning resisting ordering one of these [emoji38]
It even comes in a lovely QOS blue

I'm not cool or young enough to get the blue one, plus I'm too old fashioned anyeay. Black or silver only for my tech gadgets. Couple of good reviews on YouTube;

41 minutes ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

I'm not cool or young enough to get the blue one, plus I'm too old fashioned anyeay. Black or silver only for my tech gadgets. Couple of good reviews on YouTube;

Neither am I :lol: I dont think I'd go for a different colour other than blue.

Stop posting videos of people saying how great it is, dont you know you're making it harder and harder to resist :lol:

Neither am I [emoji38] I dont think I'd go for a different colour other than blue.
Stop posting videos of people saying how great it is, dont you know you're making it harder and harder to resist [emoji38]

Don't be "accidentally" dropping your Maya Max now Mr X.[emoji23]

5 hours ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Don't be "accidentally" dropping your Maya Max now Mr X.emoji23.png

Hey, if I want one I'll just buy one 8)

Having watched the reviews properly now theres a good chance I'll be doing just that. Bit odd that the special offer runs out tomorrow for the blue one but the black is for another week

Hey, if I want one I'll just buy one 8)
Having watched the reviews properly now theres a good chance I'll be doing just that. Bit odd that the special offer runs out tomorrow for the blue one but the black is for another week

If you do decide to order one, download the gearbest app and order it on there as it's cheaper on there @ £180.72 and you will probably have points to use from your Maya max order, so another few quid off if you use your existing account, plus I think there's an extra couple of quid off if you use Paypal. Also says on app shipping between 23rd-29th September.[emoji4]

1 hour ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

If you do decide to order one, download the gearbest app and order it on there as it's cheaper on there @ £180.72 and you will probably have points to use from your Maya max order, so another few quid off if you use your existing account, plus I think there's an extra couple of quid off if you use Paypal. Also says on app shipping between 23rd-29th September.emoji4.png

Showing as £40 more expensive on the app and discountinued :unsure2:

Found it now. I had clicked "search" and Eliphone S8 was listed under popular searches. When I clicked that I got the £220 page.
I tried just typing Eliphone S8 into the search and it gave two results - the £220 discontinued one and the £180 one that you'd found :rolleyes:

Aye it's doing that with me too.[emoji23]