Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

So I took the plunge and got a Huawei Mate 20 Pro on contract. Pricey but thinking I might just sell my camera and switch to a phone only for photos, which should soften the blow a bit. Can sell my old phone as well.

Quite excited to get it tomorrow as the reviews it's received have been pretty phenomenal.

40 minutes ago, S7C said:

So I took the plunge and got a Huawei Mate 20 Pro on contract. Pricey but thinking I might just sell my camera and switch to a phone only for photos, which should soften the blow a bit. Can sell my old phone as well.

Quite excited to get it tomorrow as the reviews it's received have been pretty phenomenal.

That is a nice phone

18 minutes ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:
5 hours ago, Mr X said:
Well, I did it. I caved and took advantage of the black Friday deal to get a Note 9.

I hate to say it but its so much nicer than my elephone.

For the price difference it should be.

Yeah, I realise Im comparing a flagship phone with a sub £200 one. I guess my point was that I was quite happy with the last couple of chinese phones I had and didnt think I was missing out on anything. Turns out, I kinda was

Yeah, I realise Im comparing a flagship phone with a sub £200 one. I guess my point was that I was quite happy with the last couple of chinese phones I had and didnt think I was missing out on anything. Turns out, I kinda was
Fair enough! Can't see me going back to flagships, unless I come into some money. Quite happy with the Chinese ones I've had. They do the job well enough at a fraction of the price. Just a matter of doing some research and choosing wisely.

• 1 month later...

Asked for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 Pro for Christmas after smashing my Note 4 a few months ago and refusing to replace it. What a difference,  so nice and phone is so sharp with a great screen (my old screen was a replacement, so dull in comparison to the original!). I can already see the prices for the new Xiaomi branch in the UK are higher than gearbest, so no surprises there. But glad I bought this before they really kicked in, hopefully they continue to sell the global versions elsewhere for cheaper. Camera is much better and for £150, it really is an absolute steal and tbh I'm starting to realise why the apple c*nts that I've slagged for years could sort of fall in love with a tech brand as I absolutely love Xiaomi's products. Initially had the fear about buying this as it wasn't getting great reviews, but I think that was more in comparison to the Note 5 Pro where there isn't that much of a difference so my step up from the Note 4, including the increase in storage and memory, I definitely saw a huge difference. Would recommend! 

Asked for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 Pro for Christmas after smashing my Note 4 a few months ago and refusing to replace it. What a difference,  so nice and phone is so sharp with a great screen (my old screen was a replacement, so dull in comparison to the original!). I can already see the prices for the new Xiaomi branch in the UK are higher than gearbest, so no surprises there. But glad I bought this before they really kicked in, hopefully they continue to sell the global versions elsewhere for cheaper. Camera is much better and for £150, it really is an absolute steal and tbh I'm starting to realise why the apple c*nts that I've slagged for years could sort of fall in love with a tech brand as I absolutely love Xiaomi's products. Initially had the fear about buying this as it wasn't getting great reviews, but I think that was more in comparison to the Note 5 Pro where there isn't that much of a difference so my step up from the Note 4, including the increase in storage and memory, I definitely saw a huge difference. Would recommend! 
Just got this phone yesterday after an upgrade from Maya Max. Very good so far.

I didn't go through Gearbest on this occasion as was able to get a good deal from Amazon (Gearbest would have been £20 or so cheaper but have taken longer to come).

20 minutes ago, punk_dfc said:

Just got this phone yesterday after an upgrade from Maya Max. Very good so far.

I didn't go through Gearbest on this occasion as was able to get a good deal from Amazon (Gearbest would have been £20 or so cheaper but have taken longer to come).

It's a great phone - the only things folk might complain about is no NFC (but I have a phone case that has my card in it anyway, so no worries for me), the charger not being type C (again, I don't know why people get their knickers in a twist about this so much?) and no face unlock (but I've never had a phone with that and the finger print works like a dream).

It's a great phone - the only things folk might complain about is no NFC (but I have a phone case that has my card in it anyway, so no worries for me), the charger not being type C (again, I don't know why people get their knickers in a twist about this so much?) and no face unlock (but I've never had a phone with that and the finger print works like a dream).
Aye, nothing there I miss. Looking forward to seeing how it goes once the new phone novelty wears off

On 04/01/2019 at 09:58, Big Fifer said:

USB C not to do with fast charging? Which a must.

Wife has the note 4, loves it, but tiny battery and no fast cherge.

For your info, Xaomi have shelved the Redmi into a separate brand, to make it more palatable for Angleeesh.

Tempted but I'm gonna go with umi F1, $199 for the next week on presale, specs are great.

14 hours ago, Waspy said:

Anyone got the pocophone f1?

Here's a few reviews that may help;

The specs seem good for the price. I don't like the latest trend with large screen smartphones, having the large notch that eats into your notification bar.  Seemingly it's to house all the sensors but I've heard of it causing problems with certain apps and games.

41 minutes ago, energyzone said:
14 hours ago, Waspy said:
Anyone got the pocophone f1?

I'm tempted by it but the only thing putting me off is the size. I've rarely seen a bad review but I don't really see the need for a phone over 6". My current one is 5" which is manageable with one hand and suits me fine.

My last two phones have been 6". I don't think I could go back to a smaller screen. I get why they're not for everyone though.

Edited by YER SISTERS YER MAW