Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

Had the Umidigi One Pro for a couple of months now. Smashed my old Umi Super three days before heading abroad so got it off Amazon for about £150. Can get it as low as £120, but I needed it urgently. Can't fault it for the price. Decent battery life and charges quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help, I'm definitely getting a xiaomi but would like to get a hands on feel first. I'm visiting Germany soon and media Markt have started stocking xiaomi. They are usually good at having stuff set up so you can have a play about. I'm assuming if I purchased a handset over in Germany it would work in the U.K.?

• 5 weeks later...
On 19/02/2019 at 11:04, Mr X said:

This looks a decent phone for the price, particularly if anyones lucky enough to snap up one at the offer price

https://www.gearbest.com/promotion/CUBOT-X19-special-42.html?utm_source=mail_api&utm_medium=mail&utm_campaign=GB_regular_190219_1550571887_i18&eo=9ZP6HE4E2S4AKLTB

I'm looking for a new phone, how do you think it compares to the Maya Max? 

Having problems with my Maya Max just now particularly that it doesn't show as an external drive when connected to my laptop so can't transfer files. Going to do a factory reset but not sure how to check if all my contacts have saved to my SIM, any idea how to check? I've been looking and have no idea tbh. 

4 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Having problems with my Maya Max just now particularly that it doesn't show as an external drive when connected to my laptop so can't transfer files. Going to do a factory reset but not sure how to check if all my contacts have saved to my SIM, any idea how to check? I've been looking and have no idea tbh. 

Slightly smaller screen and battery but pretty much an upgrade on everything else, although the CPU is almost the same

https://www.pdevice.com/compare/E24VwFWLb1

Back up/sync contacts to your Google account.
You can also transfer files to Google drive or Dropbox etc then reset the phone

16 minutes ago, scoobles said:

Back up/sync contacts to your Google account.
You can also transfer files to Google drive or Dropbox etc then reset the phone

managed to get that sorted and did a factory reset.  Issue with transferring files seems to be driver related imo. I've downloaded CDC driver but don't have Device manager software to install it! Tried downloading microsoft Office Starter To Go Device manager but the download has stopped half way through. Do you have ideas for a solution?

29 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Slightly smaller screen and battery but pretty much an upgrade on everything else, although the CPU is almost the same

https://www.pdevice.com/compare/E24VwFWLb1

I see there's only about a day left on that sale.  I know very little about these types of things however I trust your advice! my maya max is almost 2 years old now with a cracked screen so could use a replacement so I'll get that Cubot you recommended.  Is there much difference between the delivery options?  EU Express at $1.03 (10-20 days) is the default, there's also UK Priority for free (7-12 days) and EU Priority at $2.54 (15-25 days ) and finally DHL at $10 (3-8 days). There's also the option of Shipping Guarantee for $5. What would you recommend?

I see there's only about a day left on that sale.  I know very little about these types of things however I trust your advice! my maya max is almost 2 years old now with a cracked screen so could use a replacement so I'll get that Cubot you recommended.  Is there much difference between the delivery options?  EU Express at $1.03 (10-20 days) is the default, there's also UK Priority for free (7-12 days) and EU Priority at $2.54 (15-25 days ) and finally DHL at $10 (3-8 days). There's also the option of Shipping Guarantee for $5. What would you recommend?
To be honest, I don't remember which postage option I picked. Sorry!

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:
12 minutes ago, Boostin said:

To be honest, I don't remember which postage option I picked. Sorry!

No problem! What would you suggest out of those, I've literally no idea.  

Thinking UK Priority with Shipping Guarantee looks best.  The asterisk below the Shipping Guarantee says the following "Note: For safer delivery, please buy the tracking & guarantee fee. In cases of verified shipping loss/damage GB will resend for free."

managed to get that sorted and did a factory reset.  Issue with transferring files seems to be driver related imo. I've downloaded CDC driver but don't have Device manager software to install it! Tried downloading microsoft Office Starter To Go Device manager but the download has stopped half way through. Do you have ideas for a solution?
If using Windows 8/10 press Windows key + X simultaneously. Choose device manager from list and look for a yellow exclamation mark next to USB.
Right click and choose uninstall (keep driver software)
Restart with phone unplugged. Windows should pick up USB again and install the drivers.

When you plug the phone in to computer it should give you options to charge, file transfer etc. Make sure its file transfer.
Some devices work best on USB 2 ports on laptop/desktop so check its not connected to the blue USB.

If you're on a Mac, I'm nae use.

10 minutes ago, scoobles said:

If using Windows 8/10 press Windows key + X simultaneously. Choose device manager from list and look for a yellow exclamation mark next to USB.
Right click and choose uninstall (keep driver software)
Restart with phone unplugged. Windows should pick up USB again and install the drivers.

When you plug the phone in to computer it should give you options to charge, file transfer etc. Make sure its file transfer.
Some devices work best on USB 2 ports on laptop/desktop so check its not connected to the blue USB.

If you're on a Mac, I'm nae use.

I'm on Windows 7. Can't see an exclamation mark next to USB tbh.  Got the maya max driver installed earlier but  ithasn't helped.  Looks like my phone's the issue, the reset hasn't helped the charging problem either.  New phone on the way soon though so will get by with this one in the meantime.

17 minutes ago, scoobles said:

Did you plug it into another port?
Each USB channel is treated separately and 1 sometimes gets confused.
Alternatively try a system restore if you have it enabled on pc. Just rollback to a date it was working

I'll give it a try, thanks.

I'm having problems with Gearbest.  When I ordered the Cubot phone the site said there were several hundred left in stock.  Now they're saying there wasn't any as it sold too quickly and they don't know when they can send one out to me.   I've tried sorting it on chat but got nowhere and want to take it further.  Does anyone know the best way to do this?

I'm having problems with Gearbest.  When I ordered the Cubot phone the site said there were several hundred left in stock.  Now they're saying there wasn't any as it sold too quickly and they don't know when they can send one out to me.   I've tried sorting it on chat but got nowhere and want to take it further.  Does anyone know the best way to do this?
You should be able to emial them.

16 hours ago, Mr X said:
16 hours ago, Boostin said:

You should be able to emial them.

Having a tough time with Gearbest regarding this phone.  They're now saying it could be up to 8 weeks before I receive it.  I can replace it for something else.  Is there anything similar spec/price wise you'd recommend?  Don't mind paying a bit extra.

Hoping you can help with another issue? The maya max I have is on it's last legs. I hoped doing a factory reset would solve the problems  It's not showing as an external hard drive when connected to my laptop which isn't a big deal but have a problem launching apps because of a screen overlay issue e.g. when I try to open a text message I get a screen message saying "Allow messaging to access photos, media and files on your device?" with the options to deny or allow.  When I choose allow I then get a Screen overlay detected message saying " to change this permission setting you first have to turn off the screen overlay from Setting > Apps" however when I follow the link to Draw over other apps the messaging app isn't there.  

Even if I could see it there it might not make any difference e.g. I downloaded Textra app which I used for messaging, I choose "allow" to allow Textra to send and view sms messages and then get the Screen overlay detected message which takes me to the Draw over other apps settings page and no matter whether I permit Textra to draw over other apps or not the app still won't launch and gets stuck in the same cycle.  I also get the same problem with Poweramp app. 

Bit of a long explanation, do you have any idea how I can fix this Screen overlay issue?  That would help a lot whilst waiting for the delivery of a new phone.

On 28/02/2019 at 11:03, Boostin' Kev said:

Having a tough time with Gearbest regarding this phone.  They're now saying it could be up to 8 weeks before I receive it.  I can replace it for something else.  Is there anything similar spec/price wise you'd recommend?  Don't mind paying a bit extra.

Hoping you can help with another issue? The maya max I have is on it's last legs. I hoped doing a factory reset would solve the problems  It's not showing as an external hard drive when connected to my laptop which isn't a big deal but have a problem launching apps because of a screen overlay issue e.g. when I try to open a text message I get a screen message saying "Allow messaging to access photos, media and files on your device?" with the options to deny or allow.  When I choose allow I then get a Screen overlay detected message saying " to change this permission setting you first have to turn off the screen overlay from Setting > Apps" however when I follow the link to Draw over other apps the messaging app isn't there.  

Even if I could see it there it might not make any difference e.g. I downloaded Textra app which I used for messaging, I choose "allow" to allow Textra to send and view sms messages and then get the Screen overlay detected message which takes me to the Draw over other apps settings page and no matter whether I permit Textra to draw over other apps or not the app still won't launch and gets stuck in the same cycle.  I also get the same problem with Poweramp app. 

Bit of a long explanation, do you have any idea how I can fix this Screen overlay issue?  That would help a lot whilst waiting for the delivery of a new phone.

Not come across any screen overlay issues, sorry. I assume you've tried googling it? Sounds like a general android issue rather than something on the Maya Max

I went back to a contract phone last year, so not really up on the newer chinese models. Theres a few other posters who are, though, Im sure someone has some recommendations. Or have a look through the last few pages of the thread

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

Not come across any screen overlay issues, sorry. I assume you've tried googling it? Sounds like a general android issue rather than something on the Maya Max

I went back to a contract phone last year, so not really up on the newer chinese models. Theres a few other posters who are, though, Im sure someone has some recommendations. Or have a look through the last few pages of the thread

Spent a lot of time reading up about the overlay issue, think my phone is just finished tbh.  Going to have a read through the recent pages, see what's been recommended and then check if they're in stock, tempted to go bigger than a 6 inch screen.  GB said they're expecting another delivery of the Cubots on the 5th although I might not get one shipped until the end of the month. Will leave it until the 5th and take it form there.