NFL London

Sloop John B

They think they'll make more money there, that's it.

Every year there are LA relocation rumours and, often, owners use them as a means to blackmail their respective local councils (or whatever the American equivalent of councils are) into paying for them to having a bigger and better stadium.

This just feels a bit different, and the league seems keen.

I think LA will have two NFL teams between 2016 and 2020.

Cheers. By far my favourite American city. Will keep an eye out for any further news. :)

He said he's only been into the game for six months so it's unfair to chastise him for not knowing about the Colisseum.

FWIW, attendances across the league are generally a lot higher than in the eighties/nineties and I assume that any interested party would've done some preliminary market research to look into the viability of having a team/teams in LA.

I'm not saying I want it to happen, btw. Just saying that having crap crowds twenty years ago doesn't necessarily mean they shouldn't have a team ever again.

I'd rather they did it via expansion than robbing a couple of cities of their teams though.

You kidding? Look how empty the Colliseum was when the Raiders weren't winning.

Exactly how Tottenham's new stadium will be when London aren't winning IMO

Watched that Straight Outta L.A the other week. It was rather strange seeing how many people just totally deserted them after they stopped winning.

Would like to see LA given another chance though.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

I'm not an expert but is the Colisseum not slap bang in a really really rough area, beset by crime/riot problems? Might have been something to do with the poor crowds in the same way that English football attendances plummeted during the worst of the hooligan years.

I'm not an expert but is the Colisseum not slap bang in a really really rough area, beset by crime/riot problems? Might have been something to do with the poor crowds in the same way that English football attendances plummeted during the worst of the hooligan years.

There were definitely loads of riots at the time. Not sure if the stadium itself is in a bad area but it's not far away from a relatively well known crime riddled place in the States. :P

post-14721-14440736035295_thumb.jpg

You kidding? Look how empty the Colliseum was when the Raiders weren't winning.

Exactly how Tottenham's new stadium will be when London aren't winning IMO

It'll be like that anyway, you'll probably manage a couple thousand people who can afford season tickets but after that you wont get 40,000+ people spending £40 or more every other week to go and see them. Think of the number of people who travel to see the IS games, are they going to travel all the time? £100 a fortnight is more than a lot of people can afford to spend on luxury

Wasn't sure if I was going to put it here or in GD but London not only port of call next season for the International Series. Mexico (largest fan base outside USA supposedly) and Germany been mentioned but nothing confirmed

So does this mean the Germans will now want a franchise? The Bayern München Luftwaffe's?

Forgot about this thread. Had a great time.

The QPR v Bolton game was a nice way to warm up for the main event. Not a classic by any means, but one of those games you can't take your eyes off for a second and a couple of cracking goals to boot! Almost worth the ticket price to see Lennon doing his nut in again. Wouldn't be surprised to see him out of Bolton before Christmas if they can't get some wins together.

My first NFL game was a fantastic experience. I felt the atmosphere was a bit "neutral" at times, but thats probably a combination of the huge number of neutrals in the stadium and also that the Jets led from the start and the dolphins were pish. It's easy to get a sense of how the big games in the US are as an experience. I paid £75 a tickect and given it was almost 4 hours of entertainment and the view was excellent despite being on the top tier thats pretty good value.

The fan rally on the saturday was good. A bit smaller than I expected. The stuff on stage was pretty decent and the banter with various other fans was great. Everyone was good value unlike the merchanising! There were loads of Jets fans in town ahead of the game, but as mentioned already here at the game it was 4-1 Dolphins at least. I think this is because the Jets bought more US fans to the game, whereas the Dolphins have a big legacy fanbase in the UK from when they were doing well in the 80's and Channel 4 had NFL on UK TV for the first time.

The game wasnt a classic, but great to see the Jets mix up the play and get a solid win. Ivory is a beast, pretty much won it single handed and with Decker in my fantasy team was delighted to see him pick up a TD as well. All round couldn't have asked for more and if the Jets can keep this rolling a decent showing in the play offs is possible. Like the other poster I'm now keen to see a game in NY soon - they should stick with the international series TBH. The big appeal is seeing US teams play. A London franchise has zero appeal for me.

Overall a great way to spend a weekend whether you are a big fan of US Football or not. The early kickoff is a winner in my eyes. I easily managed to get back to Gatwick after the game for a late flight to Edinburgh. Apart from a slow running train from Victoria the travel was super smooth.

Didnt see the Scottish drunk either... everyone was dead on, even the slightly drunk Dutch Dolphins fans I was sat next to!