NFL London

Sloop John B

From my own perspective, I had no interest in going to a game until the Raiders finally came over. The cost was ridiculous when you factor in spending money, travel and somewhere to stay to the extent that it's really not something I'd consider doing regularly. In addition, I met a lot of folk from continental Europe doing the same - a one off trip to finally see the team they support. Having supported the Raiders for over 30 years, why would I go and change to a new team?

I just think the whole prospect is ridiculous.

edit to add: especially as I've had to wait fecking long enough for them to start showing signs they could be good again

I'm sure most people in Carolina and Jacksonville had a team before they got their own, too.

You'll still get people coming over for the odd game but will get a core crowd of season ticket holders. People with no previous interest will watch how they get on and some will decide they love the sport and want to go and watch.

They may also be able to tap into the darts/cricket crowd of people going for a night on the piss (possibly in fancy dress) while a sporting event goes on.

Why would I want to do that when Croy is the nearest station?

Need to go up again, haven't been since last season.

Might bump into you at Queens Street if Celtic are at home?

Haha I'd check the thread on here before that, looks like the clubs in meltdown maybe better staying at home. :P

And I usually drive down and stay at my aunties before home games, I'll be along the Gallowgate at that time soaking up the pre match atmosphere. ;)

Lots of chat about cost. I managed to get travel, ticket & 2 nights accom for £200.

It costs me circa £70 to get to an Aberdeen game.

Pretty much this. Have many people on this forum have went to an nfl game?

Games aren't cheap. Drinks and snacks aren't cheap. Certainly not from my experience. Support a popular team and touts will be asking for upwards of £200 a ticket.

The cost was ridiculous when you factor in spending money, travel and somewhere to stay to the extent that it's really not something I'd consider doing regularly. In addition, I met a lot of folk from continental Europe doing the same - a one off trip to finally see the team they support.

This team will be a London team, not an English team or a British team therefore the regulars will be those who have easy access to the games ie London and the surrounding area with a chunk of the attendees being day-trippers.

This team will be a London team, not an English team or a British team therefore the regulars will be those who have easy access to the games ie London and the surrounding area with a chunk of the attendees being day-trippers.

Maybe, but I would argue that the majority of the current attendees are NOT from the London area, so I don't see how that would be sustainable if they based any plans on a London-centric attendance.

The majority are from the London area. Read an article about it somewhere. That said, a sizeable chunk will come from elsewhere so may as well call the team "British..." whatever rather than "London..." thingybobs to appeal to as many people as possible.

I'd quite like the idea of playing the odd game outside London too, even if it was just a pre-season game a year.

I reckon that's unlikely though.

The NFL have the postcode data of everyone who has bought a ticket so will know where people come from rather than relying on people they meet in the green man.

In the US people come from all over a state to attend games. It's only 8 games a season, people make the effort. Hotels do deals, as do airlines for season ticket holders.

God knows how much of the crowd of Chelsea, spurs and arsenal is now made of day trippers and tourists.

If I didn't absolutely hate the idea of it I could see myself doing the sleeper or a cheap flight to London 8 times a year. You don't even need to stay over.

The majority are from the London area. Read an article about it somewhere. That said, a sizeable chunk will come from elsewhere so may as well call the team "British..." whatever rather than "London..." thingybobs to appeal to as many people as possible.

I'd quite like the idea of playing the odd game outside London too, even if it was just a pre-season game a year.

I reckon that's unlikely though.

I'm sure I read that too, actually was it not an interview with the head of NFL UK during the Sky NFL32 thing in August?

I'm sure I read that too, actually was it not an interview with the head of NFL UK during the Sky NFL32 thing in August?

I didn't watch that so won't have seen it there. As NFLUK are, presumably, keen on a London franchise no doubt they'll have ensured that information appeared in a number of print stories too.

Did some digging and from, an a admittedly year-old article:

"88 percent of the fans who attend the International Series are from the U.K., 6 percent are from elsewhere in Europe and 6 percent are American ex-pats or fans who flew in from the U.S. for the game. Of the 88 percent from the U.K., about 60 percent live within a three-hour drive of London."

Actually that sort of contradicts what I was saying as "within a three hour drive" easily includes Birmingham, Bristol, Southampton maybe even Sheffield and Manchester if you drive fast!

Did some digging and from, an a admittedly year-old article:

"88 percent of the fans who attend the International Series are from the U.K., 6 percent are from elsewhere in Europe and 6 percent are American ex-pats or fans who flew in from the U.S. for the game. Of the 88 percent from the U.K., about 60 percent live within a three-hour drive of London."

Actually that sort of contradicts what I was saying as "within a three hour drive" easily includes Birmingham, Bristol, Southampton maybe even Sheffield and Manchester if you drive fast!

But again in the grand scale of things, a 3 hour drive to the game is nothing when you compare it to the states.

60% of the attendance is roughly 50,000. If the future franchise is to be based at the new White Hart Lane then that leaves 10,000 day-trippers per game to reach capacity (assuming those 50,000 buy season tickets).

I don't think that's unachievable.

Games aren't cheap. Drinks and snacks aren't cheap. Certainly not from my experience. Support a popular team and touts will be asking for upwards of £200 a ticket.

I have been to a couple in Atlanta. The NFC Championship game against San Fran cost me $108 and for the Jets game that I went to tickets could be bought for about $30 on Stubhub.

I've been to three Seahawks games, think the tickets we had were just over $100. Way up in the Gods though.