Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

On 08/12/2023 at 13:30, iron mike python said:

No unfortunately my yield farming days are behind me, I just use Aave, Curve and Synthetix (contracts that have lasted a long time on Ethereum therefore have more reliable security) these days.

Even though it means less airdrops and yield, its just naturally what happens after being through a few cycles. I wouldn't be surprised if by next cycle I am only exposed to ETH.

I did get a Lil Pudgy though a while back which is a nice little airdrop currently 1 ETH

How are you getting on? You probably do more crypto researching than me these days, what are the main trends you are noticing? 

On 09/12/2023 at 02:36, Fraser Fyvie said:

I've pretty much just been farming airdrops since March, should have listened to you before Arbitrum but missed out. Should be well positioned for ZRO, Zksync, Starknet and a heap of others though, obviously not expecting all to deliver. 

Added a decent chunk of SOL near the lows so thats going well. Seems like the next year could be fun.

This is like a different language to me.

On 12/12/2023 at 13:09, Jives Miguel said:

AVAX is up 80% this week. Shot right to the top of my asset list by dollar price. Pleasing.

I had a load of thorfi nodes that I just let deactivate, would've had 100 nodes by now if I kept them going. 

How's everyone been getting on with their coins? I've still got a few NFTs but no coins now as cashed all out to buy a house with profits. 

• 3 weeks later...

Chairman of the SEC has a massive go at her own organisation after the Bitcoin ETF is finally approved:

We squandered a decade of opportunities to do our job. If we had applied the standard we use for other commodity-based ETPs, we could have approved these products years ago, but we refused to do so until a court called our bluff.

…Today’s order does not undo the many harms created by the disparate treatment of spot bitcoin products.

First, our arbitrary and capricious treatment of applications in this area will continue to harm our reputation far beyond crypto. Diminished trust from the public will inhibit our ability to regulate the markets effectively. This saga will taint future interactions between the industry and our staff and will dampen the rich, informative dialogue that best protects investors.

Second, our disproportionate attention on these filings has diverted limited staff resources away from other mission critical work. Over ten years, likely millions of dollars of staff time has gone toward blocking these applications.

Third, our actions here have muddied people’s understanding of what the SEC’s role is. Congress did not authorize us to tell people whether a particular investment is right for them, but we have abused administrative procedures to withhold investments that we do not like from the public.

Fourth, by failing to follow our normal standards and processes in considering spot bitcoin ETPs, we have created an artificial frenzy around them. Had these products come to market in the way other comparable products typically have, we would have avoided the circus atmosphere in which we now find ourselves.

Fifth, we have alienated a generation of product innovators within our space. Our unreasonable approach to these applications has signaled that regulatory prejudice against new products and services can lead us to sidestep the law and unreasonably delay product launches. The industry has logged hundreds of meetings, has filed submissions, withdrawals and amendments, and ultimately had to resort to a costly legal battle to get us to today.

Although this is a time for reflection, it is also a time for celebration. I am not celebrating bitcoin or bitcoin-related products; what one regulator thinks about bitcoin is irrelevant. I am celebrating the right of American investors to express their thoughts on bitcoin by buying and selling spot bitcoin ETPs.[10] And I am celebrating the perseverance of market participants in trying to bring to market a product they think investors want. I commend applicants’ decade-long persistence in the face of the Commission’s obstruction.

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Chairman of the SEC has a massive go at her own organisation after the Bitcoin ETF is finally approved:

We squandered a decade of opportunities to do our job. If we had applied the standard we use for other commodity-based ETPs, we could have approved these products years ago, but we refused to do so until a court called our bluff.

…Today’s order does not undo the many harms created by the disparate treatment of spot bitcoin products.

First, our arbitrary and capricious treatment of applications in this area will continue to harm our reputation far beyond crypto. Diminished trust from the public will inhibit our ability to regulate the markets effectively. This saga will taint future interactions between the industry and our staff and will dampen the rich, informative dialogue that best protects investors.

Second, our disproportionate attention on these filings has diverted limited staff resources away from other mission critical work. Over ten years, likely millions of dollars of staff time has gone toward blocking these applications.

Third, our actions here have muddied people’s understanding of what the SEC’s role is. Congress did not authorize us to tell people whether a particular investment is right for them, but we have abused administrative procedures to withhold investments that we do not like from the public.

Fourth, by failing to follow our normal standards and processes in considering spot bitcoin ETPs, we have created an artificial frenzy around them. Had these products come to market in the way other comparable products typically have, we would have avoided the circus atmosphere in which we now find ourselves.

Fifth, we have alienated a generation of product innovators within our space. Our unreasonable approach to these applications has signaled that regulatory prejudice against new products and services can lead us to sidestep the law and unreasonably delay product launches. The industry has logged hundreds of meetings, has filed submissions, withdrawals and amendments, and ultimately had to resort to a costly legal battle to get us to today.

Although this is a time for reflection, it is also a time for celebration. I am not celebrating bitcoin or bitcoin-related products; what one regulator thinks about bitcoin is irrelevant. I am celebrating the right of American investors to express their thoughts on bitcoin by buying and selling spot bitcoin ETPs.[10] And I am celebrating the perseverance of market participants in trying to bring to market a product they think investors want. I commend applicants’ decade-long persistence in the face of the Commission’s obstruction.

An ETF on this.

Lipstick on a turd.

I'm not sure if 100% of cash inflows to the BTC ETFs must legally be spent on buying actual bitcoin, or if the fund uses some sort of fractional reserve model. If the latter, it opens it up to abuse as seen in the precious metals markets, essentially creating paper derivatives of the underlying asset. Would make a mockery of the hallowed 21 million supply cap.

• 2 weeks later...

On 04/12/2023 at 07:51, Fraser Fyvie said:

We are so back.

image.png.9442a79cd2bc62ba046e69e3a9c5802c.png

On 31/01/2021 at 17:03, Fraser Fyvie said:

I've got decent holdings in $AAVE and $SUSHI too. Pretty well invested in $FTT now as well, the token of the FTX exchange which I reckon will be a top 3 exchange by the end of the year and eventually pass Binance as no.1. A step ahead of the rest in terms of new offerings and ideas and ran by very sharp traders. They just bought blockfolio there in an attempt to attract more mainstream customers as they are still mainly used by professional traders.

Wish $BTC would just f**k off to new ATHs again tbh.

image.png.c924a41aaf274badb999d18f0b387340.png

You'll have to forgive me if I don't take investment/gambling advice from you, good sir.

edit: but unironically - I'm not a total ghoul, hope you were able to absorb the shock for whatever you entrusted FTX with. I'm risk averse, and more than happy to keep it that way.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

On 11/01/2024 at 17:40, Zetterlund said:

I'm not sure if 100% of cash inflows to the BTC ETFs must legally be spent on buying actual bitcoin, or if the fund uses some sort of fractional reserve model. If the latter, it opens it up to abuse as seen in the precious metals markets, essentially creating paper derivatives of the underlying asset. Would make a mockery of the hallowed 21 million supply cap.

The whole ETF market relies on shadowing a commodity without actually needing to own the underlying asset.  The 21m supply cap is now toast.

Edited by strichener

16 hours ago, strichener said:

The whole ETF market relies on shadowing a commodity without actually needing to own the underlying asset.  The 21m supply cap is now toast.

I know the ETF buyers don't actually buy the bitcoin, but the fund itself needs to use the customer funds to buy it.

Whether they need to buy 100% of the inflow value is another matter.

I remember reading the silver market has something like 200 paper claims for each physical ounce. It'd be a bit of a farce if BTC went down this route.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Bitcoin's dropped 15% since the ETFs got approval. Looks like the big boys cashed in while the mugs bought in to the hype.

Classic "buy the rumour, sell the news".

Edited by DiegoDiego

On 06/10/2021 at 14:28, iron mike python said:

I finally cracked.... I bought a Pudgy Penguin for >2 ETH the other day. 

Bitcoin has the monopoly on uncensorable hard money.

Pudgy Penguins have the monopoly on Cuteness.

Cuteness > Hard Money IMO

I can't believe idiots are still spending money on Bitcoin when they could hold Penguin NFT's instead. 

Pudgy Penguins now 18 ETH.

😐 

edit: genuinely scares me that there are people out there willing to talk to you straight faced about how God wanted him to buy a nice new conservatory with your money, and also that he had a discussion with Him about liquidity where the Lord sayeth "trust me bro lmao".

I mean leaving aside shitting on crypto the fact that there are utter psychopaths like this out there that you're going to have to deal with in life is worrying. The damage these people do to society is immense.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/10/2022 at 12:23, welshbairn said:

That's the scam, invent a load of jargon to persuade people it's complicated and you have to take the advice from clever people if you don't want to be left behind while they make millions, mostly from mugs like you.

Why did you make this post calling Bitcoin a scam?

I sold all my crypto because of it and Bitcoin is now 3 times the price of that day. I shouldn't have believed you 🥲

Congratulations to those of you who bought Bitcoin and Ethereum outside of the Spring and Winter of 2021 because you are now in profit.

Shame on those in this thread who denied other peoples financial wellbeing by proposing that the British Pound was a better option.