Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

Gauld shouldn't have gone to Lisbon he's stagnated in their b team. Too many of our "prospects" have moved elsewhere thinking they'll hit the big time only to be shoved into a reserve team then end up back here a shadow of themselves.

That's bollocks. 

I'll quote the player himself from a recent article

' i think my development has slowed down a little bit,’ said Gauld, who scored eight goals in 38 first-team games in his final season with Dundee United in the Scottish Premiership.

It’s nearing the end of my second year in the B team. To be perfectly honest, it’s not what I hoped for. It has slowed down in the last few months and that’s why I was hoping to go out on loan and play first-team games as that would accelerate my development again.

‘Sporting said: “No†when I asked about the possibility of a loan move. There was a bit of interest but Sporting said they wanted to keep me and that’s how it went.'

Four years left on his contract with a £48 million release clause.

I hope he can kick on and be the player we can all enjoy watching in a Scotland jersey but whether that happens remains to be seen.

Decided to look at the first season that players currently involved with the Portuguese National Team made their "breakthrough" season (10 league games) with Sporting...

Jose Fonte, Beto, Silvestre Varela, and Rui Fonte never managed to play ten games for Sporting before being papped out.

Cristiano Ronaldo was 17

Ricardo Querasma and Joao Moutinho were 18

Rui Patricio, Nani and Adrien Silva were 19

Daniel Carrico and Miguel Veloso were 20

Cedric Soares, William Carvalho, Joao Mario and Danny were 21 (Danny played 9 games before January then was sold off to Dynamo Moscow)

So taking away Ronaldo, Querasma and Moutinho, who were all exceptional talents, he's on course. If he played ten games next season he'll be starting the season at 20 years old same as, or younger than, six current Portuguese internationals. Everyone needs to calm the f**k down.

Gauld shouldn't have gone to Lisbon he's stagnated in their b team. Too many of our "prospects" have moved elsewhere thinking they'll hit the big time only to be shoved into a reserve team then end up back here a shadow of themselves.

some of the comments on this thread prove why we are a useless nation..........What gets to me and it is probably an argument for another thread is that the likes of Wales and Northern Ireland in particular, probably through lack of choice you could argue, thought nothing of blooding the likes of Bale for example when they they were 17/18 and not getting a game at big Clubs yet they were in and around the big team, getting experience, playing games and learning yet we are too scared to do the same with a lad who COULD be just as good as Bale...before I get jumped on I am not saying he will, just saying he could, there is no way of knowing unless he is given the chance to get experience however all we do is continue to call up people coming to the end of their careers who have failed miserably before.......

some of the comments on this thread prove why we are a useless nation..........What gets to me and it is probably an argument for another thread is that the likes of Wales and Northern Ireland in particular, probably through lack of choice you could argue, thought nothing of blooding the likes of Bale for example when they they were 17/18 and not getting a game at big Clubs yet they were in and around the big team, getting experience, playing games and learning yet we are too scared to do the same with a lad who COULD be just as good as Bale...before I get jumped on I am not saying he will, just saying he could, there is no way of knowing unless he is given the chance to get experience however all we do is continue to call up people coming to the end of their careers who have failed miserably before.......

spot on.

Gareth Bale was a £7m player at 18 years old.

I'm fairly certain he wasn't selected through 'lack of choice'.

Yeah, not like he was comfortably one of the best possible talents in a generation for Wales or anything.  It's just because they were one short from their Teamer list.

Ryan Gauld is not as talented as Gareth Bale was.  He could still be a very important player for Scotland, but not important enough to do what they did with him.  And they haven't.  Quite rightly.

Bored at work again. Gonna check out this ridiculous idea of Wales and Northern Ireland being better because they play teenagers before they're ready to give them experience to see how the other home nations have done.

Top 5 youngest Wales players this millenium

Harry Wilson
Gareth Bale
Lewin Nyatanga
Chris Gunter
Dave Cotterill

3/5 going to Euros

Northern Ireland

Johnny Gorman
Shane Ferguson
Josh Carson
Carl Winchester
Liam Donnelly

1/5 going to Euros

Republic of Ireland

Aiden McGeady
Paul Murphy
Anthony Stokes
Stephen Gleeson
James McCarthy

2/5 going to Euros

England

Theo Walcott
Wayne Rooney
Raheem Stirling
Micah Richards
Marcus Rashford

3/5 going to Euros

Scotland

Kieran Tierney
Danny Wilson
Garry O'Connor
Oliver Burke
James McFadden

2/5 played for Scotland recently.

We're sitting about average. That wee list should show there's no guarantees about calling up teenagers for "experience". They get that week in/week out with their clubs. Not on a four day training exercise and half an hour at the end of the friendly v Estonia.

We should defo blood them young. I don't see an issue with playing a 14 or 15 year old if he is rated, Samuel Eto'o made his debut at 15. John Fleck is the best Scottish player in 20-30 years, and he was ruined by Scotland and Rangers neglect.

Clearly we should just put the U16 team all into the Senior squad. It'll give them plenty of time to develop and get them ready at that level for our Euro 2028 campaign. They'll turn into superstars aswell, as the more games you play under the age of 18, the better you'll turn out.

Clearly we should just put the U16 team all into the Senior squad. It'll give them plenty of time to develop and get them ready at that level for our Euro 2028 campaign. They'll turn into superstars aswell, as the more games you play under the age of 18, the better you'll turn out.

Exaggeration of course, but what do we have to lose? Our high current world standing as "warm up" fodder for other nations?

Do you really think we are likely to qualify for next World Cup as it stands? I bet Slovakia are VERY confident they will turn us over....

Exaggeration of course, but what do we have to lose? Our high current world standing as "warm up" fodder for other nations?

Do you really think we are likely to qualify for next World Cup as it stands? I bet Slovakia are VERY confident they will turn us over....

Very true. We should just lose every game for the next ten years, as we'll be world beaters by the end of it so being bottom seeds won't matter in the slightest.