Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

How old is Gauld - 21, 22? He's still so young. Suggesting his career is over, at that age, because "I huvny heard of him daein onythin in 18 month" is absolutely ludicrous. Please go and throw yourself in the sea. Thank you.

I don't think that's 'young' for a footballer really, just over 10 years left of his career with 3/4 behind him already.

I think what we should be considering is, how many quality players are not first team regulars by the time they're 21? I'd wager not many.

It's a shame about Gauld , I really hoped he would make it but Ollie Burkes meteoric rise has put his 'development' into perspective.

Edited by Tommy Nooka

I don't think that's 'young' for a footballer really, just over 10 years left of his career with 3/4 behind him already.

I think what we should be considering is, how many quality players are not first team regulars by the time they're 21? I'd wager not many.

It's a shame about Gauld , I really hoped he would make it but Ollie Burkes meteoric rise has put his 'development' into perspective.

Totally agree re the contrast with Burke. While Burke's rise has been freakishly fast, Gauld's has been torpid. Can expect a year of familiarisation but 3 years is a looong time in football terms.

Nobody is writing him off, just saying that things haven't really gone the way everybody hoped. Even if he was just making the Sporting bench every now and then that would be promising. But he's nowhere near their plans and doesn't look like he features much in Setubals either.

While I'm not suggesting Gauld won't make it I do think Scots and English need to stop continually bracketing players in the "he's still young" pigeon hole, countries like Germany(comfortably better than both) always appear to have young guys with loads of caps,if they're good enough they're old enough IMHO.

I'm sure the Bundesliga at least has a rule where they have to play a certain amount of u21 players each week. I could be wrong and have nothing to back it up, I heard it or seen it on here somewhere.

4 hours ago, ayrmad said:

While I'm not suggesting Gauld won't make it I do think Scots and English need to stop continually bracketing players in the "he's still young" pigeon hole, countries like Germany(comfortably better than both) always appear to have young guys with loads of caps,if they're good enough they're old enough IMHO.

Key part bolded.  You mention Germany having loads of young players with loads of caps, and that's because they're good enough to do that.  Is Gauld really good enough to be on double figures in terms of caps?  

Could it be a physique issue? I'm pretty sure he is technically sound but he is a bit smallish.

Of course, we all know there are exceptions that blow that suggestion to smithereens but we do know that managers prefer their players to be physically strong.

Oliver Burke's rapid progression I think has been big time aided by the fact he can handle himself in the physical confrontations. He probably is not has skilled as Gauld.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

Key part bolded.  You mention Germany having loads of young players with loads of caps, and that's because they're good enough to do that.  Is Gauld really good enough to be on double figures in terms of caps?  

I've no idea if Gauld is good enough to have double figure caps but I'm fed up with us using players age as some sort of excuse, if they're not progressing from 18 to 19 to 20 to 21 to 22 to 23 to 24 to 25 then perhaps someone needs to offer them guidance on how to progress a bit more and a bit faster.

Could it be a physique issue? I'm pretty sure he is technically sound but he is a bit smallish.

Of course, we all know there are exceptions that blow that suggestion to smithereens but we do know that managers prefer their players to be physically strong.

Oliver Burke's rapid progression I think has been big time aided by the fact he can handle himself in the physical confrontations. He probably is not has skilled as Gauld.

I'm sure this is a factor

As someone has said earlier it's fine to question if he's good enough for Scotland. To suggest his career is over though is crazy.

I hope he gets out of Sporting soon. It looked promising at first but it's not gone to plan. Hopefully he can get a new club soon and bring back with him the experience he will gained in Portugal.

In his interview with the Daily Record, dated 11 September, he claims he's short of match fitness and says "it's going to take me time to get a place in the team". So I think we should only worry if he doesn't get in the side over the next few months. 

12 hours ago, RobbieD said:

Only 6 games into the season.  Calm down.

That's almost 20% of the season, they only play 34 games.

46 minutes ago, Slacker said:

In his interview with the Daily Record, dated 11 September, he claims he's short of match fitness and says "it's going to take me time to get a place in the team". So I think we should only worry if he doesn't get in the side over the next few months. 

If he's not getting into the team due to lack of match fitness and the manager actually wants to play him wouldn't it make sense to at least give him a few subs appearances?

No game time. Their line up and substitutions don't seem to change at all from week to week but they got beat again so hopefully the manager starts to change things.

Only one of five loans they have that has yet to start a game, apparently. Can't help his confidence, can it?

Something in news last week saying he is good technically, but "lacks intensity".

Maybe if he got a reasonable chance he would be able to demonstrate some " intensity".

Last under 21 games against Macedonia, he looked a shell of the player I saw against NI earlier in the year (didn't stand out at all)

Maybe in desperation they will give him a chance now, but won't hold my breath...

23 hours ago, haggisbeastie said:

Only one of five loans they have that has yet to start a game, apparently. Can't help his confidence, can it?

Something in news last week saying he is good technically, but "lacks intensity".

Maybe if he got a reasonable chance he would be able to demonstrate some " intensity".

Last under 21 games against Macedonia, he looked a shell of the player I saw against NI earlier in the year (didn't stand out at all)

Maybe in desperation they will give him a chance now, but won't hold my breath...

Maybe because they played him as sweeper in that game ?    

Maybe because they played him as sweeper in that game ?    

I think he was doing pretty much the same role in both games that he has been doing for Sporting.

In my opinion, against Macedonia I feel he played the simple ball most times and was in the periphery a lot.

Against NI, i thought he really went for it and tried to make things happen (second half, in particular).

Maybe fitness is a big factor, as he was playing regularly for Sporting B at the time of NI game...?