Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

Reported that gauld has over 30 clubs offering him deals.

I cant imagine the likes of Christie being coveted the same.

If as reported braga is one of them, I can see him going there. And doing well.

He seems pretty comfortable in Portugal. Wherever he goes he just needs to keep playing.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

36 minutes ago, jake. said:

The Liverpool article directly quotes Coates and clears the rumours about his background. His Dad isn't Scottish but has Scottish ancestry. Simple as that. Besides, I'd imagine international managers are constantly trying to make lines of inquiries with players who they think might be eligible for the country.

It does, but if you read it he says the Coates family, not necessarily his family, just the Coates in Uruguay. Which I'm assuming there's more than one of. 

Steve Clarke and Craig Levein both are also quoted in the articles I posted, both state he is eligible but already capped by Uruguay. I would imagine the chances of them having decent information and probably having spoken to the guy are quite high.

48 minutes ago, dysartrovers said:
4 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:
I'm just trying to explain how it works. Some people get offended when you try to explain things to them. Do you think he expects about thirty Scottish players to basically forego their holiday just incase, the ones who had fit for duty notices sent out are the ones he will choose from. That's a reserve list, whether you call it that or not, that's what it is.

Do you know for a fact that 31 of these were sent out or is this just made up shit?

Actually you're right, I take it back

It was 30 not 31

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/19312012.ryan-gauld-not-picked-steve-clarkes-scotland-squad-euro-2020-misses-30-man-preliminary-list/

Yeah but there is nothing there as far as I can see where Clarke is quoted on this. It coukd just be paper talk. I can't see them sending out anymore of these than is necessary to start with.

To be fair when I click that link I can't get the actual story

4 minutes ago, dysartrovers said:

Yeah but there is nothing there as far as I can see where Clarke is quoted on this. It coukd just be paper talk. I can't see them sending out anymore of these than is necessary to start with.

To be fair when I click that link I can't get the actual story

That's cause you don't know what you're talking about, its standard practice to send out more than you plan on taking. What if you send 26 then four people get injured?

That's cause you don't know what you're talking about, its standard practice to send out more than you plan on taking. What if you send 26 then four people get injured?
Love how you jump straight to insults. I literally asked if this was a genuine thing or paper talk. For me you send the 26 you want and then if Injuries come up then you deal with it

Just now, dysartrovers said:
3 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Love how you jump straight to insults. I literally asked if this was a genuine thing or paper talk. For me you send the 26 you want and then if Injuries come up then you deal with it

What can I say if you're talking pish should I just pretend you're not?  You need to know who's fit and who's not. Players also need to know as clubs might want to schedule minor ops at the end of the season to clear up injuries, such as Ter Stegen just had.

That's how it works. Its absolutely standard practice to send out more than you plan on taking. Its lucky you're not in charge or we'd end up calling up someone ten days into a lads holiday who's put on a stone and been shitfaced for a week.

A friend of a friend moved from a big Scottish club to a big Championship club once. 7k a week he was getting. Deal finally went through halfway through a lads holiday at the end of the season in Magaluf or wherever.

He went outside a pub, where they'd been drinking all day, speaking to a bunch of fans from the club he was signing for, to speak to his agent on the phone. Agent told him deal was finalised, 7k per week.

He reacted by running back into the pub, doing a Klinsmann along the ground, crashing into the tables and chairs they were sitting at, and lay face down on the floor pissed as a fart basically passed out drunk.

His friends took that moment to inform the people they were speaking to that that guy lying down there was their new signing.

Can you imagine if the next phone call he got was so and so got injured report to Hampden tomorrow morning you're playing in the Euros in four days? 

That's why they do that.

Charlie Adam famously went on not one but two lads holidays before reporting for pre-season with Liverpool for the first time and turned up about two stone overweight and breathing out of his arse.

A friend of a friend moved from a big Scottish club to a big Championship club once. 7k a week he was getting. Deal finally went through halfway through a lads holiday at the end of the season in Magaluf or wherever.
He went outside a pub, where they'd been drinking all day, speaking to a bunch of fans from the club he was signing for, to speak to his agent on the phone. Agent told him deal was finalised, 7k per week.
He reacted by running back into the pub, doing a Klinsmann along the ground, crashing into the tables and chairs they were sitting at, and lay face down on the floor pissed as a fart basically passed out drunk.
His friends took that moment to inform the people they were speaking to that that guy lying down there was their new signing.
Can you imagine if the next phone call he got was so and so got injured report to Hampden tomorrow morning you're playing in the Euros in four days? 
That's why they do that.
Charlie Adam famously went on not one but two lads holidays before reporting for pre-season with Liverpool for the first time and turned up about two stone overweight and breathing out of his arse.
The guys who were on the edge of selection will have been spoken to by Clarke incase of injury. Things don't always need to go through official channels, I'm sure he has their numbers

1 minute ago, dysartrovers said:
6 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:
That's why they do that.

The guys who were on the edge of selection will have been spoken to by Clarke incase of injury. Things don't always need to go through official channels, I'm sure he has their numbers

But he has to tell them, and that's how they do it. There's probably legal requirements too.  Its not your local boys club, you're talking about very highly paid athletes with lucrative contracts with large businesses that you're going to borrow for a month.

So they absolutely do have to go through official channels, the players probably need to submit that to their club in writing so the club knows about it or they may be entitled to refuse to release them. There's also insurance implications, as the national team would probably then be liable for their insurance while they're with them. Its not jumpers for goalposts just drop us a text and I'll get my mum to drop me off at Hampden.

They even need to think about flights etc if they're going to go on holiday they need to consider that, the SFA isn't going to charter a jet to bring them back from Dubai.

35 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

It does, but if you read it he says the Coates family, not necessarily his family, just the Coates in Uruguay. Which I'm assuming there's more than one of. 

Steve Clarke and Craig Levein both are also quoted in the articles I posted, both state he is eligible but already capped by Uruguay. I would imagine the chances of them having decent information and probably having spoken to the guy are quite high.

Both the Levein quote and the Clarke quote are basically "he's already been capped." It just seems pretty unlikely his Dad is Scottish because you would assume Coates would have said as much in the Liverpool article - he just mentions that his family can't speak English.  He may have qualified for Scotland through a grandparent, or maybe he didn't. It doesn't matter either way now.

It's ridiculous he hasn't been capped already or at the very least called upto a squad. He's got an interesting choice on the club front, dies he staybin Portugal and move to a bigger club or dies he try somewhere else like Spain or Italy. It would be disappointing in a way if he ended up back in the UK. 

1 minute ago, jake. said:

Both the Levein quote and the Clarke quote are basically "he's already been capped." It just seems pretty unlikely his Dad is Scottish because you would assume Coates would have said as much in the Liverpool article - he just mentions that his family can't speak English.  He may have qualified for Scotland through a grandparent, or maybe he didn't. It doesn't matter either way now.

It doesn't matter, but you'd also imagine if he wasn't actually eligible one of the two Scotland managers to comment on it might have mentioned that too. Anyway as you say it doesn't matter.

1 minute ago, pub car king said:

It's ridiculous he hasn't been capped already or at the very least called upto a squad. He's got an interesting choice on the club front, dies he staybin Portugal and move to a bigger club or dies he try somewhere else like Spain or Italy. It would be disappointing in a way if he ended up back in the UK. 

I would hate him to come back to the UK and don't think he will.

I think Clarke clearly just doesn't fancy him for whatever reason. Forget even this squad, the games in March were the perfect opportunity to call him up. Bigger squad, three games, if you were really keen to get a look at him given you can't attend his games and can only watch on TV there was the perfect chance. He was playing great at the time too.

But no call-up, and an insulting lie about his 'mate' keeping an eye on him. I think that tells its own story.

He's not Maradona and he wouldn't revolutionise our team but it must be tough to take that he just isn't in the picture when he really couldn't have done any more this season. And technically he's better than most of our players so its a bit of a kick in the teeth and he must be wondering what he has to do.

54 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Reported that gauld has over 30 clubs offering him deals.

I cant imagine the likes of Christie being coveted the same

If you are reading the same report as me then I am pretty sure Christie would also be coveted by the likes of Inter Miami, Brighton, Swansea, Norwich and Stoke.

1 minute ago, Chewing Taffies said:

If you are reading the same report as me then I am pretty sure Christie would also be coveted by the likes of Inter Miami, Brighton, Swansea, Norwich and Stoke.

True, but he's been pish this season, scored less goals than Gauld in a vastly inferior league and been garbage in Scotland's last few games. So it must be galling for Gauld to look at that and see he's undroppable whereas Gauld isn't even in consideration.

They're slightly different styles of player for the same position but of a pretty similar standard imo. Hard to separate them, but they get very different treatment from Clarke.

So as I say I think Clarke clearly just doesn't rate Gauld, and will have his own reasons for that. But he isn't going to share them publicly.

Just now, Chewing Taffies said:

Also braga.

Brighton, Norwich and possibly Swansea will be playing premier league next year. So could offer alot more than celtic could.

With 6 months on Christie's contract let's see what happens

1 minute ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Also braga.

Brighton, Norwich and possibly Swansea will be playing premier league next year. So could offer alot more than celtic could.

With 6 months on Christie's contract let's see what happens

Not sure why you keep on picking out Braga who are miles behind the top 3 in Portugal. Norwich would be a good move for Gauld. I hope that happens and we get to see him in the EPL. He is obviously a good player but it's just unfortunate we have a lot of good players in the same position. 

1 minute ago, Chewing Taffies said:

Not sure why you keep on picking out Braga who are miles behind the top 3 in Portugal. Norwich would be a good move for Gauld. I hope that happens and we get to see him in the EPL. He is obviously a good player but it's just unfortunate we have a lot of good players in the same position. 

They're 4th and play in Europe every year. I think that would be a much better move than Norwich.  The EPL is the fastest, most physical and aggressive league in the world it doesn't suit some players. I would imagine Gauld could do okay but he would flourish much more somewhere slightly less physical and slightly more technical so Portugal is a much better fit.

Plus can you imagine moving from the Algarve to Norwich?  f**k that