Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

12 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Vancouver is the only place I've seen someone inject Heroin into their penis, although I appreciate I've perhaps led a sheltered life.

For lifestyle he should be going to Toronto FC or Melbourne Victoria.

It was nearly 20 years ago I lived in Melbourne to be fair, but I've never seen a city with such a visible heroin problem as it had at the time. Walking to work stepping over needles and comatose bodies every morning and you couldn't go for a piss in the city centre without needing to get a key off someone.

I expect it's been cleaned up by now tbf.

On 28/11/2013 at 22:36, Broken Algorithms said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/25146585#asset

BBC Interview link above, have to say he seems like he's got a very sensible head on his shoulders. Nothing seems to be phasing the lad and he's content that he's getting first team chances at United. Like everyone else, I'm looking forward to seeing how he progresses and will try to get along to watch United play at some point. He genuinely does look rather astonishing, almost like Iniesta in some ways.

On 11/11/2013 at 10:07, Kyle said:

He really does look a wonderful talent. Such a clever player who can finish (as we found in our chase for top 6 last year). Destined for great things if he keeps progressing the way he is. He's probably in the right place with the U21s just now, but should be allowed his chance in the next round of fixtures if he continues to play to the standard he has so far this season.

Maybe the Evening Telegraph linking him to Real Madrid wasn't as daft as a decent number of posters in the SPL forum were saying ;)

On 28/11/2013 at 20:30, ISON said:

People can easily get over-excited about young players coming through but as others have said, I genuinely believe Gauld could be something very special.

He would probably be more suited to La Liga or the Bundesliga than the EPL though should there be a big move for him in the future. It would be very refreshing seeing a Scottish player of his talent playing in one of those two leagues.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

If relegation holds clubs back, then what does being unable to get promoted do to "second tier" clubs in the USA?

Absolutely nothing, given they're founded and operated as second tier clubs with no expectations of moving. The entire sporting and cultural structure in North America is set up in a way which makes it incomparable with European football. 

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Absolutely nothing, given they're founded and operated as second tier clubs with no expectations of moving. The entire sporting and cultural structure in North America is set up in a way which makes it incomparable with European football. 

Indeed.

I understand that, I just don't think folk can go on about a lack of sporting integrity and clubs being held back when they're comparing it to a total closed shop league where only billionaire consortia need apply.

21 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I understand that, I just don't think folk can go on about a lack of sporting integrity and clubs being held back when they're comparing it to a total closed shop league where only billionaire consortia need apply.

Isn't it? Aside from things like basketball or baseball which have soft caps and a luxury tax, the North American system means that regardless of the personal wealth of the persons owning teams, they've all got the same playing field to build from. You can obviously argue that teams can be and are limited, but you'd have to wonder then whether it's worse that a few teams can become unfathomably rich or that a few teams suffer no consequences for losing. 

I don't think the American model works when more than one country is involved, for what it's worth. I also don't think European football would be improved if it moved to that system, or in an alternate universe where it had always been that way.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

What is even the point in being a second tier side in America then - no promotion, no relegation - sounds fascinating!

On 09/11/2013 at 17:09, DC92 said:

Ryan Gauld is the best prospect I've seen in my time watching football in Scotland by some distance, and that's not just a reaction to his goals today. We've had plenty of young players who can ping a goal into the top corner or beat a man, but I've not seen any young players with the same level of intelligence and close-control as him. That's without mentioning that he's regularly scoring great goals and playing killer passes in the SPL at 17 years old.

You can never be sure a young player will fulfill their potential, but I'm very confident with Gauld.

On 17/07/2021 at 14:30, 2426255 said:

🤭

Thanks for reminding me of this post, 2426255.

I actually agree with my past self in that no teenagers I'd seen in Scottish football looked as good as Gauld did at that time, and very few (if any) have since. Despite rating his chances highly (something that was vindicated by Sporting paying £3m for him a few months later), I did also acknowledge that you can never be sure a young player will fulfil their potential. Therefore I see very little wrong with my post in hindsight.

On top of that, I'm not a dweeb who's been dredging up ancient posts I'd probably have agreed with at the time, so all in all I feel pretty good about myself.

13 hours ago, DC92 said:

Thanks for reminding me of this post, 2426255.

I actually agree with my past self in that no teenagers I'd seen in Scottish football looked as good as Gauld did at that time, and very few (if any) have since. Despite rating his chances highly (something that was vindicated by Sporting paying £3m for him a few months later), I did also acknowledge that you can never be sure a young player will fulfil their potential. Therefore I see very little wrong with my post in hindsight.

On top of that, I'm not a dweeb who's been dredging up ancient posts I'd probably have agreed with at the time, so all in all I feel pretty good about myself.

Oh don't take it to heart you lunatic. if that even has any potential to affect the way you feel about yourself then you've got issues. 🤭 

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Is this a fair statement? To date John Fleck has had a more successful career than Ryan Gauld.

He has played more top level football than Gauld, so his career has went better in that regard.