Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

I think in the case of Odegaard, he's a truly unique talent. Gauld no doubt has bags of talent, and could potentially be a top player for Scotland. I'd have him involved with the squads and maybe run him out against the likes of Gibraltar. In a couple of years he'll probably be looking at regular caps if he can keep up his current rate of progress.

On the contrary, would it not be beneficial to integrate him into a successful squad as early as possible? Not as a starter, but as someone who can play a part at the right time in the right games. What does he or Scotland have to gain by waiting till he's 22/23 to get a cap?

Belgium stuck with their most talented youths, capping them early, and look at guys like odegaard and Christian eriksen too.

Gaulds just turned 19, I'm not advocating waiting 4 years to cap him ffs. The facts are that until about a week ago, he hadn't played a first team game this season. By his own admission the final few months of last season his form had slipped and wasn't getting a regular game for United. Playing regular first team football increases his chances of a scotland call, same as any other player looking to get into strachans plans. It's hardly outlandish to suggest this is it?? I rate Gauld highly, I just believe his inclusion must be on merit. Edited by supermegs

Gauld has to be in squad for NI and Gibraltar. He was a regular Scotland U21 and Dundee united first team player.

He's made his move and is now in or around the first team of a top european side.

We need to get these types of players in now. Look at the hazards and neymars of this world.... (yes they're a different league) but both have over 50 caps for their national sides and they are only 24 and 22. Start him now and in 5 years who knows.

Gibraltar and especially Northern ireland game are opportunities to get these players game time to see if they sink or swim at this level.

We're looking to bring one 19-year old into the team, not a squad of them.

He's likely the future of our team - hopefully alongside Jack Harper. Bring him into the squad, alongside Stuart Armstrong and let him have some game time either again NI or Gibraltar.

Waiting another few years is no help to either party.

I don't get the "I don't think he's ready for a call up yet" line. It's International football here FFS, we're not talking about a move to Real Madrid. Get him in the squad and give him the experience he'll need, his talent is clearly there - do we think calling him up now is going to damage his progression? It's a nonsense line.

Think it's a no brainer to get I'm involved in the next two games tbh. One is a friendly and one might as well be given the standard. Perfect opportunity to get him in. As had been mentioned plenty of times above, we seen to be one of the only countries afraid of giving then a chance when their young. Even looking across the water to teams like Ireland. Guys like McGeady (boo, hiss etc) are on about 80 caps while the guys we have near that age are maybe on the 40s at most (Hutton, brown etc)

Need to be able to instil that kind of experience and the upcoming matches are perfect to get him his first caps

Think it's a no brainer to get I'm involved in the next two games tbh. One is a friendly and one might as well be given the standard. Perfect opportunity to get him in. As had been mentioned plenty of times above, we seen to be one of the only countries afraid of giving then a chance when their young. Even looking across the water to teams like Ireland. Guys like McGeady (boo, hiss etc) are on about 80 caps while the guys we have near that age are maybe on the 40s at most (Hutton, brown etc)

Need to be able to instil that kind of experience and the upcoming matches are perfect to get him his first caps

Tbf Broony must of got his 1st cap about 19? Mind him coming on right wing with a Mohawk type haircut looking like a wee mental b*****d. Had a decent game from memory.

Tbf Broony must of got his 1st cap about 19? Mind him coming on right wing with a Mohawk type haircut looking like a wee mental b*****d. Had a decent game from memory.

USA was it not? He had a goal ruled out for offside I'm sure

Yeah just used him as an example. We just seem to have nobody on a comparable number of caps. Hopefully some of the ones coming through now can get there

USA was it not? He had a goal ruled out for offside I'm sure

Yeah just used him as an example. We just seem to have nobody on a comparable number of caps. Hopefully some of the ones coming through now can get there

Agree totally re putting faith in the very best young players. I always wonder what the squad/team would have been like now had the last batch of youth - Gordon, Fletcher and McFadden (expect to split opinion with this one) - not been ravaged by injury/illness. All three would surely have been on 80 caps by now, providing the squad with a much-needed spine of experience and consistency.

Surely the home game vs Gibraltar is the perfect time for his first appearance. Even if he didn't start, bringing him on when we're struggling at 0-0 with 15 minutes to go a few goals up at half time would be an ideal debut situation for him.

I agree with this. I think if Gauld is going to be the main piece of the national team for the next ~10 years, which he hopefully is, you need to get him in and playing as soon and as often as possible. That it can start against a pub team like Gibraltar is all the better. Less pressure on him and the team to get a result (because it'll come easily, obviously.... right?) so he can be eased gently into international games.

Yes it is. After you represent one country at youth level, the only countries you can switch to are those which you were already eligible for at the time of that original youth cap.

So when you get a youth cap you are essentially locked in to your original selection of countries? Would that be the same if you are capped in a senior friendly then decide to change?

Just curious

Agree totally re putting faith in the very best young players. I always wonder what the squad/team would have been like now had the last batch of youth - Gordon, Fletcher and McFadden (expect to split opinion with this one) - not been ravaged by injury/illness. All three would surely have been on 80 caps by now, providing the squad with a much-needed spine of experience and consistency.

Yeah, that's what I'd have thought. Fletcher has 66 caps. How many games has he missed in the last 3 to 4 years? It must easily be in the mid-to-high 20s.

Gordon must have missed even more...!

I'd like to think that a player like Gauld and Robertson could do our version of Ashley Cole and make it to 100 caps. Though it would be helpful if we could qualify for something - 4/6 extra games every 2 years (including warm up friendlies) is 30 caps!