Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

30 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Needy? It's people keeping an eye on a players career, we're not looking for attention or recognition of what great fans we are of Ryan Gauld.

What an odd stance. If you don't think the boys up to much then I'd recommend not reading a thread dedicated to him.

Why are you being daft about this?

I don't think he looks like fulfilling the enormous potential he was widely held to have a few years back.   Just as people are perfectly entitled to chart every step of his career, I'm similarly free to say it's now a bit silly.

I've no idea why my perfectly rational outlook on this seems to bother you so.  

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Why are you being daft about this?

I don't think he looks like fulfilling the enormous potential he was widely held to have a few years back.   Just as people are perfectly entitled to chart every step of his career, I'm similarly free to say it's now a bit silly.

I've no idea why my perfectly rational outlook on this seems to bother you so.  

People are highly invested in Gauld - just as they were invested in Islam Feruz - and may end up looking a bit daft/revisionist when all is said and done, and Gauld is running about for Livingston.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Because it's needy and reliant more on blind faith than any strong likelihood. 

I do find the charting of his fleeting appearances a bit laughable to be honest.  It's clearly not happened for him, but his disciples see a heresy in anyone saying so.

This.  It's not just Gauld, it's happened before and it'll happen again.  There's a desperation for someone who will improve our lot, which translates into hype, and then the complete opposite once he inevitably turns out not to be quite as good as we thought.

56 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

People are highly invested in Gauld - just as they were invested in Islam Feruz - and may end up looking a bit daft/revisionist when all is said and done, and Gauld is running about for Livingston.

Not sure he'd get in our Champions League squad tbqhwy. 

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

He was one of the best players in the league when he left. I doubt if he’s lost technique or conditioning in Portugal, so he’d more than likely be one of the best players in the league should he return. 

I think it's fair enough to chart his progress, given he was the only player (apart from Burke, I think) to take a glamorous move abroad. It's a relatively unique and exciting career path. 

£3m for a teenager with a reported £50m release clause? It's hard not to get a wee bit excited about that. At the time it seemed like we might soon have a teenage no 10. starring in the Champions' League for Sporting Lisbon. Now, admittedly, it seems more like a case of 'what can he salvage from this move?' 

Even if he does end up as a ball-boy at Livingston, it's still makes for an interesting career trajectory.

3 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

I think it's fair enough to chart his progress, given he was the only player (apart from Burke, I think) to take a glamorous move abroad. It's a relatively unique and exciting career path. 

£3m for a teenager with a reported £50m release clause? It's hard not to get a wee bit excited about that. At the time it seemed like we might soon have a teenage no 10. starring in the Champions' League for Sporting Lisbon. Now, admittedly, it seems more like a case of 'what can he salvage from this move?' 

Even if he does end up as a ball-boy at Livingston, it's still makes for an interesting career trajectory.

True enough.

There really was huge excitement round this player and the hype didn't seem unjustified, given that he was a standout in a good first team at such a young age.

What gets me though is the defensiveness it prompts in some when it's suggested that it's not gone to plan.  It seems so self evident as to scarcely need observing, but when it is, the reaction can be odd. 

As already highlighted, people do seem to be invested in this guy, which is fair enough.  He was an impressive player who came across as mature, diligent and level headed.  It's therefore a pity it's veered off track for him.  That investment seems to induce a certain loss of balance in some though.

The Scottish press calling him "Mini Messi" is the most cringe I can recall in recent times. I get so embarrassed by that shite. The English media pick it up then the European press are reading "Mini Messi!" and watch a few youtube vids of a wee guy slicing open Scottish defences. Genius! I think I'm on the side of... it's time to step up! You've served your apprenticeship.. you should be a key player now. If he can pass the ball he's an improvement. He is very small though. Bah!

9 hours ago, Principal Flutie said:

Are we now reaching a point where people get laughed at or ridiculed for hoping a Scottish player turns out well? Because that's just fucking pathetic.

There's a difference between hoping he does well, and desperately searching out his form, like the 15 minutes he's now got might mean he's now totally going to turn out alright.  

I hope he does do well, but that doesn't mean I'm going to merrily leap onto the hype train, because I know where it usually heads.  It's fairer to him just to let him get on with his career.

A lot of teams around our level seem to have one special player around whom everything else happens. Wales have Bale, Macedonia have Pandev, etc. I think we're just desperate to find our version.

Start of this thread is mental

Shouts for starting him for Scotland at 17
Comparisons with Eriksen
Dryhorce
Alex Harris and Ryan Fraser who is better debates
Dryhorce
Paul Slane
Someone predicting John McGinn would play for Scotland and in the EPL
Dryhorce

On 17/10/2018 at 09:53, Monkey Tennis said:

Because it's needy and reliant more on blind faith than any strong likelihood. 

I do find the charting of his fleeting appearances a bit laughable to be honest.  It's clearly not happened for him, but his disciples see a heresy in anyone saying so.

Jesus your posts are boring