Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

25 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Would you disagree that its difficult to show you can fit a system, score goals or assist goals when your not in the squad?

While this is obviously true - a player can't contribute if they don't get a chance - Clarke is a clever guy and I usually trust him to know if a player will fit into his team based on what he's seen of them at club level. He'll make mistakes, and maybe overlooking Gauld has been one, but imo he's earned the right to be given the benefit of the doubt. 

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

While this is obviously true - a player can't contribute if they don't get a chance - Clarke is a clever guy and I usually trust him to know if a player will fit into his team based on what he's seen of them at club level. He'll make mistakes, and maybe overlooking Gauld has been one, but imo he's earned the right to be given the benefit of the doubt. 

Of course he has.

Hail King Clarke.

I'm just saying call the kid up, once, just once, see what he looks like in camp. I honestly don't see what the harm in it is. 

It's often players that just get a single chance that surprise you - who honestly would have predicted (a year ago) before he was called up that Porteous (for example) would now be a nailed-on starter?

I genuinely don’t even think Clarke is considering him or that he is in his thoughts, I might be wrong. I think Clarke has settled on this generation of players and those that are in are the ones he wants, I think it’s the next generation coming through, getting them involved, showing them there is a pathway, that’s his focus now.

In an International sense, rightly or wrongly, Gauld has missed the boat and that’s not been helped by poor choices he has made. Poor loan spells, lower league clubs in Portugal and a move to America has probably been good for him but not for his International career as when Clarke was probably looking at him as an option, he wasn’t…..if that makes sense.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Of course he has.

Hail King Clarke.

I'm just saying call the kid up, once, just once, see what he looks like in camp. I honestly don't see what the harm in it is. 

It's often players that just get a single chance that surprise you - who honestly would have predicted (a year ago) before he was called up that Porteous (for example) would now be a nailed-on starter?

He's not a kid. He's 28

Porteous was 22. The difference is Porteous has the potential to play at the top level. Gauld has found his.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Porteous was called up by Clarke in October-2020, so maybe he identified that as a future possibility and doesn't see the same for Ryan Gauld.

If Clarke thought Gauld could improve our chances of achieving our goals then why hasn't he called him up? The fact he hasn't supports the case that Clarke doesn't believe that he is better than what we have as of September-23. File under Liam Henderson.

Edited by 2426255

34 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

He's not a kid. He's 28

Porteous was 22. The difference is Porteous has the potential to play at the top level. Gauld has found his.

Well 27. And we have different outlooks on age I guess.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

I dont disagree with any of that, if hes not selected ill trust that clarke has assessed it and doesn’t think he can contribute. Which is fair enough its his call.

Gauld is probably competing against Christie more than Armstrong.

Armstrong can play in the middle aswell while neither Gauld or Christie do at club level, both more wingers/attacking midfielders.

Surely not much debate that you'd choose Christie over Gauld? Be interested to see if Gauld would get a call up if Christie pulled out.

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I genuinely don’t even think Clarke is considering him or that he is in his thoughts, I might be wrong. I think Clarke has settled on this generation of players and those that are in are the ones he wants, I think it’s the next generation coming through, getting them involved, showing them there is a pathway, that’s his focus now.

In an International sense, rightly or wrongly, Gauld has missed the boat and that’s not been helped by poor choices he has made. Poor loan spells, lower league clubs in Portugal and a move to America has probably been good for him but not for his International career as when Clarke was probably looking at him as an option, he wasn’t…..if that makes sense.

Agree with this. Gauld’s window was probably right after his stint in Portugal but he went to MLS. It sounded like Sporting treated him like shit so can’t really blame him for taking the money option after that. Covid came along and made it impossible for call ups during that period and now Clarke’s squad is pretty much set and as you say, his priority will be more players like Doak and others his age.. It’s fair enough.

5 minutes ago, bleedingums said:

Agree with this. Gauld’s window was probably right after his stint in Portugal but he went to MLS. It sounded like Sporting treated him like shit so can’t really blame him for taking the money option after that. Covid came along and made it impossible for call ups during that period and now Clarke’s squad is pretty much set and as you say, his priority will be more players like Doak and others his age.. It’s fair enough.

The height of Gauldmania was around March-June 2021 when he was getting a lot of plaudits for his Farense performances, however Clarke went with Turnbull for the Euros. I don't think selecting Turnbull ever worked out, so you could argue that Gauld deserved his place, but there was also a lot of clamour for Turnbull at that time due to his form for Celtic. 

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Of course he has.

Hail King Clarke.

Porteous is a nailed on starter? I'm not sure that's true. He probably is at the moment because Hanley's injured and he got ahead of McKenna too while he was injured. Personally if everyone was fit I think Tierney and Hanley are nailed on starters. The right sided centre back position I'd probably have Hendry ahead of Porteous but granted it's closer than I thought it would be. McKenna's playing at a better level than both of them to be fair (though currently out of favour at Forest right enough).

I don't really know enough about Ryan Gauld or how he's playing to make any judgement on his ability to contribute to a Scotland squad but I trust Clarke to do so. That is by definition what he's employed to do. The "call the kid up to see what he's like" argument doesn't really wash. I mean we don't really know that I'm not a better goalscorer than Dykes and McGinn. I doubt I am (due to be being fat, over 50 and not having played 5 a sides since Covid) but I've never been given the "chance" to see. If the manager thinks he warrants a chance he'll get a chance. He's shown absolutely no inclination to do so in his time in charge.

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Porteous was called up by Clarke in October-2020, so maybe he identified that as a future possibility and doesn't see the same for Ryan Gauld.

If Clarke thought Gauld could improve our chances of achieving our goals then why hasn't he called him up? The fact he hasn't supports the case that Clarke doesn't believe that he is better than what we have as of September-23. File under Liam Henderson.

FO.

Liam is a footballing god