Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

I'm not giving up on him and i'd be chuffed if he proved me wrong, but he's been there for nearly two years now and it appears he's made very little impact. Less so this season than last actually. Last season he at least played some league cup games for the A team.

Yeh but he's 20, sporting have a chance at winning the league this season and they've changed their system and want him to develop into a new position to fit the side. There's still every chance of him making it there, plenty of players don't cut it til they're over 20

Edited by MarkoRaj

He obviously isn't the next Feruz given that he's played about 100 matches in professional football at a reasonable level (Scottish Premiership and Portuguese top two tiers).

Feruz is lucky if he's racked up 100 minutes.

Yeh but he's 20, sporting have a chance at winning the league this season and they've changed their system and want him to develop into a new position to fit the side. There's still every chance of him making it there, plenty of players don't cut it til they're over 20

I don't think there's enough understanding of the importance of this at a club like Sporting. Their B team is essentially a mirror image of the first team, but with developing players who are being taught to see if they can perform the exact role that they'd have to perform in the first team.

"He's 20 and not playing for their first team, he must be rubbish" is such a negative (Scottish?) way of looking at things. Thankfully Sporting are the sort of club who will put him in the right place and give him as much time as possible to develop instead of chucking him in at the deep end and possibly ruining their £3m investment. That's why there's still a lot to be excited about with someone like Ryan Gauld. And thankfully he seems to appreciate that, rather than claiming he's homesick so he can leave and sign for dross like Huddersfield.

Edited by Nightmare

Debateable. He was out getting pished every week in Dundee (At 16 - f**k knows how he got in places).

Everyone does that it seems, May was at Loft every Saturday night off his nut on stuff. Get the feeling Gauld is more like May in that he'll actually put a power of work in during the week, while Feruz doesnt

Aye he needs out of Lisbon, it's clear they don't think he's good enough for their first team. And he's 21 this year, he really should be playing first team football somewhere.

Wouldn't surprise me if ended up at Celtic.

Do you have any evidence to support your stupid assumptions above?  Sporting have one of the best track records for bringing on youth players in the world and many of these lads don't get a look in at the first team until they are 20/21.  

I'm not giving up on him and i'd be chuffed if he proved me wrong, but he's been there for nearly two years now and it appears he's made very little impact. Less so this season than last actually. Last season he at least played some league cup games for the A team.

See above, players generally don't break through at Sporting until they are 20/21, obviously some are ready earlier but Sporting don't rush players through.  Cedric Soares, currently playing for Southampton didn't make his debut until 20.  And for those panicking that he'll be shite if he doesn't make it at Sporting and "will be in League 1 or the Championship" in a years time, tell that to Eric Dier who's currently challenging to win the Premier League with Tottenham and picked up his first International caps.  He was sent on loan to Everton's Academy, played for 2 years with Sporting's B team before going on to make 20odd appearances for the first team over the next 2 years, they then sold him for £4 million.  Sporting deeming a player surplus to requirements doesn't automatically make them a shite player.

Can we not just wait and see what the boy does rather than trying to second guess whether he's the saviour or another for the shitpile?

Didnt realise they waited until as old as 20/21 for them to be tried and tested. 

Ronaldo 17

Nani 18

Nuno Valente 19

Beto 18

Hugo Viana 19

Ricardo Quarsema 18 ( spent a year in B team)

Joao Moutinho 17 debut ( spent a year in B team) then back into full team

Miguel Veloso 18 then out on loan then back again

I did small research on whatage the stars of Sporting Lisbon came through at.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sporting_Clube_de_Portugal_players

The ones who did "make it" were younger certainly than 20-21. Going by this anyway unless you are using different stats?

I did say some break through earlier.  I also never said that they wait to try and test all players at 21.  Gauld played in cup matches for Sporting in 2014, is that not a form of trying and testing?  They've used him in some games to see where he was in his development and by all accounts they seem really happy with him now, 2 years on.  It's conceivable they're doing what they did with Veloso and Moutinho with Gauld, but maybe Gauld is taking a bit longer, or maybe he's not as good?  Who knows, writing the guy off using some rough guess work based on assumptions isn't exactly helpful.

Sporting have produced hundreds of players, there is no set rule for them like many have on here that players need to have made it by 21 or he's useless, they take the sensible approach of putting players in when they're ready, for which they clearly believe is a bit later for Gauld.  And unless I'm mistaken, all of those boys were brought up from 8/9/10 years old at Sporting and I imagine it would be easier to integrate them into the first team.  They picked Gauld up really late in comparison and could be taking time to settle him into the style of football/system the team plays.

I'd also be doubting the authenticity of that list given that it's claiming that Frank Rijkaard was a notable player to play for the club despite never actually playing for the club.  I just don't see why everyone's stumbling over each other to say he's shite or brilliant because of x, y and z factors.  Can't we just wait and see how he plays football?

Didnt realise they waited until as old as 20/21 for them to be tried and tested.

Ronaldo 17

Nani 18

Nuno Valente 19

Beto 18

Hugo Viana 19

The ones who did "make it" were younger certainly than 20-21. Going by this anyway unless you are using different stats?

Maybe look a bit harder at when some of those players actually broke into the first team. The ages are off in some cases and misleading in others.

Ronaldo 17

Nani 18

Nuno Valente 19

Beto 18

Hugo Viana 19

The ages are correct, but only for their debuts, not for when they become regulars in the first team. In which case Gauld should go on that list at 19 years old.

The ages are correct, but only for their debuts, not for when they become regulars in the first team. In which case Gauld should go on that list at 19 years old.

Yeah, I assumed the ages were for when they made the proper step up to the first team. In which case Gauld made it ages ago.