East/West Combined Super League

HTG

A combined Super League running parallel to the Lowland League acting as a fifth tier could potentially be alright. Knock out play offs between the LL/HL/Junior winners and bottom of League Two to go up.

We have a winner !

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daft notion being promoted by people with NO UNDERSTANDING of the game at this level. Vast majority of clubs and their supporters DO NOT WANT more travelling, DO NOT WANT pyramid structure to obtain higher League status.

Please please consign this proposal to the dustbin of history.

.......and the vast majority of clubs won't be doing more travelling and the vast majority of clubs won't be progressing up the pyramid.

Useful to remember Whitburn Juniors at a time like this.

When the East Super league was formed they were the only team who qualified for the new set-up who refused to join.

At the time they were arguably the best team in the East, but now they have sunk to the third tier with little prospect of getting their old status back. I wonder what their current committee think of their decision now ?

Their loss has seen others gain. Teams like Tayport, Lochee United and Kelty Hearts showed ambition and have thrived at the new level over the years

When the East Super league was formed they were the only team who qualified for the new set-up who refused to join.

At the time they were arguably the best team in the East, but now they have sunk to the third tier with little prospect of getting their old status back. I wonder what their current committee think of their decision now ?

Their loss has seen others gain. Teams like Tayport, Lochee United and Kelty Hearts showed ambition and have thrived at the new level over the years

100% this.

If you try and achieve the best for your club through being ambitious then you might just have a chance of getting there.

If you show no sign of ambition whatsoever then you will have no chance of getting there.

Seems to me that the dinosaurs are still intent in holding the game back.

to suggest going backwards to the old regions again is just plain ludicrous

Talbot,Medda,Cumnock,Beith,Buffs,Kilbirnie...now Hurlford,Troon..Ayrshire never needed the Central clubs,never needed a west super league.Games against these teams will bring in more finance bring more punters into the park than Cumbernauld,Petershill,Bellshill,Maryhill or Harry Hill and will be even less for Blackburn,Arniston or whoever no disrespect to any of them.Junior fitba exists because of community involvement from committee men to sponsors.

To me there is no point in all this without the North clubs,it doesn't make sense,it's just another regional set up not national.Would much prefer the lowland league scenario if a had to choose one...and a don't trust Tom Johnston to run a bath.

One thing being forgotten about here. The ordinary punter. The fan that just wants to go out in the afternoon, watch his favourite team and be back home in time for tea. Spend about a tenner doing so cos he might be on a low wage or not working. Factor in another tenner if he's got a couple of kids. He's going to need a bank loan if this goes through.

One thing being forgotten about here. The ordinary punter. The fan that just wants to go out in the afternoon, watch his favourite team and be back home in time for tea. Spend about a tenner doing so cos he might be on a low wage or not working. Factor in another tenner if he's got a couple of kids. He's going to need a bank loan if this goes through.

Central Scotland is not some vast wilderness that is the size of the USA !!

I'm an ordinary punter. The cost of entry isn't going through the roof. What changes for the ordinary punter? A bit of extra travel here and there. Not huge changes in my book.

What this thread demonstrates though is why nothing ever changes in the juniors and why the whole grade is moribund. Supporters are already voting with their feet. Younger punters grow up with expectations of half decent facilities. It wasn't that long ago that the toilet facilities I would experience at tynecastle and prestonfield were on a par - horrific. Only recently has the Rose started to catch up but most of the places I visit haven't begun to make the shift.

By all means, let's keep bemoaning the fact that there is little money in the game, no sponsors and at the same time refuse to try and do things differently or better. That'll work.

It takes over an hour to get from Glenafton's ground to Largs. It takes slightly less to get to Kilbirnie and Beith from New Cumnock. It's almost a certainty that all four of these teams would be regularly playing in an Ayrshire Premier League.

When you consider that a trip to Linlithgow or Bo'ness from New Cumnock takes only 10-15 minutes longer than a journey to Largs it puts the fallacy of the vast distances of a combined league into perspective.

It takes over an hour to get from Glenafton's ground to Largs. It takes slightly less to get to Kilbirnie and Beith from New Cumnock. It's almost a certainty that all four of these teams would be regularly playing in an Ayrshire Premier League.

When you consider that a trip to Linlithgow or Bo'ness from New Cumnock takes only 10-15 minutes longer than a journey to Largs it puts the fallacy of the vast distances of a combined league into perspective.

New Cumnock to Largs would be once a season. With a combined league you would possibly be looking at six or more times a season.

The teams in favour seem to be the Central and East Lothian teams. These teams are in the centre and possibly not a lot of difference to them. For teams on the periphary such as Ayrshire teams its a big difference and a non starter.

I like my football but its not the only thing I do on a Saturday. I like the fact I can do something in the morning or arrange something for a Saturday night and have plenty of time to get there.

I am lost as an away fan if this comes in

Not quite.

Whitburn refused promotion to Superleague (first season 2002/03) and then finished runners-up in the Lothians First for two seasons running before going up at the third attempt as winners.

In the Superleague, they then finished 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 4th then 11th and were relegated and relegated again the following season to be where they are now.

Can this decline be attributed to their initial refusal 13 years ago? doubtful.

those teams were leaving a poor league .east region was far better standard .only my opinion

One of Tom Johnstone's prime reasons for being anti-Pyramid was the alleged cost to Junior clubs to meet Licensing requirements (the fabled £150k toilet block).

Does anyone perhaps think that if the Super Door League comes to fruition, would players not be looking for more money out of the clubs for this "step up" over what we have at the moment? I doubt it will drive up crowds, but it will drive up other costs particularly if ground criteria is brought in as part of the deal.

So Tom, what was the reason for bad mouthing the LL again?

A combined Super League running parallel to the Lowland League acting as a fifth tier could potentially be alright. Knock out play offs between the LL/HL/Junior winners and bottom of League Two to go up.

It would be a bit weird to have a combined Junior league running parallel to the Lowland League whilst covering the exact same geographical area. Would relegated teams be able to choose where they went?

Archived