East/West Combined Super League

HTG

You've also got to remember the cash bonus of taking part in the main cup competitions (Challenge Cup is a bit of a cash write-off unless you win it). A 2nd round exit (having played in the preliminary too which I believe carries the same cash bonus as R1?) in the Scottish Cup will net £8000 before fines accrued. The money is also decent in the League Cup for the 42.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've also got to remember the cash bonus of taking part in the main cup competitions (Challenge Cup is a bit of a cash write-off unless you win it). A 2nd round exit (having played in the preliminary too which I believe carries the same cash bonus as R1?) in the Scottish Cup will net £8000 before fines accrued. The money is also decent in the League Cup for the 42.

Correct - no wonder they don't want the Juniors near it and are being so protective about the relegation spot in the new pyramid. I see folk going on about the number of senior clubs playing nationwide - are there too many Juniors? I'm not saying whether there are or aren't - just throwing it out there.

• 2 months later...

Correct - no wonder they don't want the Juniors near it and are being so protective about the relegation spot in the new pyramid. I see folk going on about the number of senior clubs playing nationwide - are there too many Juniors? I'm not saying whether there are or aren't - just throwing it out there.

I don't think there are too many of either. The problem is that people from all over Scotland are travelling to see two particular clubs to the detriment of the numerous others they pass on the way. And if they can't make it or refuse to go then they give football a miss instead of attending another match.

I'm a firm believer in a pyramid involving all junior clubs. There are still ways that local competition can be successfully maintained other than a league. After all, the Junior Scottish Cup is more sought after than the regional Premier League titles.

As an experience, football hasn't evolved in the same way that other sports have. While other sports have taken steps to increase their appeal to families such as the Glasgow Warriors rugby team and the Braehead Ice Hockey team, football clubs (senior and junior) have grimly clung to this notion that football is a man's game where you turn up, sit or stand about for 90 minutes then go home.

Scottish football needs to do something radical in my opinion. A pyramid wouldn't solve anything by itself but would be a sign that the clubs and authorities are serious about increasing competition and attraction to the sport.

Were the results of the SJFA's poll of clubs ever released?

Anyway, for the sake of 60p I bought a copy when I was in the newsagents just now. Basically:

* a meeting of "top flight Superleague clubs and some ambitious outfits currently outside the main leagues" has been called for Thursday

* proposals include a single 12-team Super Superleague, or the earlier plan of merging the existing top-tiers into 2 divisions of 14

* there will be no North teams - Johnston says this is as "they have restructured recently", and they wouldn't want to become involved

* agreement "of all clubs" would be needed, including reorganisation below the Super Superleague(s)

No direct mention is made of the pyramid system, or of the criteria to join the standalone 12-team Super Superleague if established.

However, it does say:

the SJFA, mindful of the Highland League and Lowland League's role in the new pyramid system, are keen to explore options to maintain their grade's strong position in the non-league game

Johnston also denies the proposals are a reaction to LL and its expansion, although he does state:

It's more a case of looking after ourselves. And see if we can take the junior game to the next level regardless of what is happening elsewhere in the country.

I'm not averse to the idea. I just couldn't resist a dig at The Sun. If fixture lists would allow it. I would like to see a Champions league type play off. Maybe the top few could be excused league cup entry. Although I think someone came up with fairly valid arguments against this before.

Away supports are generally chronic. Junior football can stay in the 1960s and become a complete backwater in the modern game or it can try to move forward. The status quo is not an option. I may be a minority voice at the moment but if this doesn't happen I hope my club will give serious consideration to the pyramid - hopefully along with a licensed Bo'ness.

Why would this be pish because you don't want your club in it ?

It's not the one true holy and apostolic pyramid system, so a few people on here are going to dislike it. If it's a way to keep junior football together complete with its "Holy Grail", while allowing the larger clubs to get entry level licensing from the SFA and enter the senior Scottish Cup every season with the top tier of the junior game in the central belt being on par in status terms with the Lowland and Highland Leagues (and this was mentioned in an earlier document that was posted on here), then it probably is the sensible thing to do at this point on the basis of pragmatism with an eye to the future.

It's not the one true holy and apostolic pyramid system, so a few people on here are going to dislike it. If it's a way to keep junior football together complete with its "Holy Grail", while allowing the larger clubs to get entry level licensing from the SFA and enter the senior Scottish Cup every season with the top tier of the junior game in the central belt being on par in status terms with the Lowland and Highland Leagues (and this was mentioned in an earlier document that was posted on here), then it probably is the sensible thing to do at this point on the basis of pragmatism with an eye to the future.

The super super league won't be on par in status terms because the lowland and highland league teams can progress to the SPFL while the juniors can't.

Archived