East/West Combined Super League

HTG

There is no way that top junior clubs are going to unilaterally jump ship to the LL as it is currently constituted. Regardless of the rights and wrongs associated with it that horse has very much already bolted. In England, the Isthmian league hooked up to the Conference as a feeder after the Southern and Northern Premier leagues did and ran in parallel with the Southern League in geographical terms for many years. Having two south of the Tay feeders at tier five would address an imbalance in population terms in a similar sort of way to that, so even if the LL clubs were less than thrilled overall it might be seen as a positive by the SFA. I seriously doubt that there's any huge desire to actually get into the SPFL on the part of central belt junior clubs, so the issue that would drive all this might be senior Scottish Cup entry and the financial boost it provides, if not what's the motivation for Tom Johnston to push this so relentlessly?

I honestly believe it's to stop clubs deciding Junior football has had it and jumping ship.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are trying to circumvent the membership as they know this would never get voted through at an EGM/AGM.

So, appoint a "steering group" of club officials who propose a 12 team league and invite expressions of interest and if they don't get any well fair enough, BUT they know the applications will be forthcoming [the clubs involved in the steering group for one] so it wont fall flat on its face a second time as the "big clubs" will be in on this. So they get the 12 clubs and claim there isn't need for the wider membership to vote on it. Job done.

There will still be "big clubs" in the East who do not like the 16 team Superleague, it wouldn't surprise me they're involved in behind the scenes scheming.

Let's face it as I alluded to last night it's a ridiculous, desperate idea,

If going by the proposed entry requirements then hypothetically Hurlford wouldn't get in due to lack of fans. Clydebank wouldn't get in due to not having a ground, Newtongrange wouldn't get in due to lack of recent success other than an EOS in 2010. Pollok are now a second division club yet are a massive draw, but under proposed criteria surely they are a no go.

Basically it's a clusterfuck of an idea, and the sort of shite that you see a group of kids come up with when trying to form their subbuteo league. I'm embarrassed as a fan of junior football that this idea even saw the light of day, never mind was raised as a serious proposal.

The idea is elitist and is completely against the ethos of junior football, and I would suggest that whoever was in the management group that came up with this plan hang their heads in shame.

If this was meant to be an alternative to the pyramid then god help us and junior football. All it has done is make the powers that be a laughing stock.

All this proposed league would do is isolate and divide the junior game even more, which is the last thing we need. Disappointing to say the least and would suggest that those behind it spend a bit of time on their next plan before issuing it.

But apart from that...

They are trying to circumvent the membership as they know this would never get voted through at an EGM/AGM.

So, appoint a "steering group" of club officials who propose a 12 team league and invite expressions of interest and if they don't get any well fair enough, BUT they know the applications will be forthcoming [the clubs involved in the steering group for one] so it wont fall flat on its face a second time as the "big clubs" will be in on this. So they get the 12 clubs and claim there isn't need for the wider membership to vote on it. Job done.

There will still be "big clubs" in the East who do not like the 16 team Superleague, it wouldn't surprise me they're involved in behind the scenes scheming.

From what I can gather. Most of the superleague clubs were and still are against the 16 team league.

...Mrs Lincoln what did you think of the play?

"I think the SJFA want to go out with a bang"

It looks like the last throw of the dice from a drowning man.

Who of the 16 team Super League of last season didn't vote for it? What's a compromise then? A 14 team league as 12 is a waste of time.

From what I can gather. Most of the superleague clubs were and still are against the 16 team league.

Most [not all] voted against the re-structure at the AGM two years ago, but were overwhelmingly defeated by the rest of the East Region clubs. That's democracy and was the right thing to do, but it probably rankles with some, including your own club no doubt.

That will be at the root of this farce, the impression I have always got from some clubs in the Region (I can't speak for the West), is that democracy is not welcome and the "big clubs" know what's best and would like nothing more than to breakaway and run their own affairs without the diddy clubs interfering.

Is this the start?

Feck 'em, should be the message from the other clubs. If they want to go off and play in some bizarre hybrid league that is decided by fanbase and distance from other clubs then the remaining clubs will be well within their rights to remove these clubs from the likes of the EOS, F&L and WOS cups at the next AGM.

As we've seen with the SPL, letting the clubs breakaway and run things themselves can only be a massive positive for everyone concerned :rolleyes:

..but this ISNT the senior game, Clydebank tried that and died. This is the junior game a totally different entity from the Senior game.

I still believe the best format for our country is one governing body with 2 national 16 or 18 team leagues and regionalised leagues below that with north, east and west. With this id also allow teams to have under 23 teams in the leagues to allow the top teams to nurture talent through the system

I still believe the best format for our country is one governing body with 2 national 16 or 18 team leagues and regionalised leagues below that with north, east and west. With this id also allow teams to have under 23 teams in the leagues to allow the top teams to nurture talent through the system

No

I honestly believe it's to stop clubs deciding Junior football has had it and jumping ship.

My question was actually phrased in way that might entice responses on why the east-west thing is being pushed so hard from people who usually think the junior grade is in good shape, for what it's worth. I don't buy the jumping ship angle, because there was clearly no attempt to use the threat of a mass migration to the LL as a bargaining chip to make changes and no junior club broke ranks when the LL offered places a few months ago, which is quite telling when almost 130 clubs are involved in the east and west regions. Think there's more to what is going on between the SFA and SJFA where future Scottish Cup entry is concerned than we have heard about so far.

Interestingly the letter posted by TheOldNorthener makes no mention of promotion/relegation between the 'Central Superleague' and the existing regions.

(I use the phrase 'Central Superleague' as without the North Juniors - and with an explicit indication that clubs will be judged according to their locations in the East/South area - namings such as Scottish Junior Superleague, Lowland Superleague, or East-West Superleague might be inappropriate).

Does anyone know if that's been decided, suggested, even just rumoured?

If there isn't automatic promotion/relegation then it may be difficult for clubs excluded at the start to ascend in future. However, if there is automatic pro/rel, why bother with

additional travel cost and inconvenience of travel being cited as the main concerns.

3. Geography / travel cost.

6. Retention, where possible, of local derbies.

Selection process will be carried out in a manner that keeps any excess travel to a minimum (see item 3 above.)

because at the end of 'Year 1' a couple of central clubs could go down and a couple of clubs from the fringe could come up?

Interestingly the letter posted by TheOldNorthener makes no mention of promotion/relegation between the 'Central Superleague' and the existing regions.

(I use the phrase 'Central Superleague' as without the North Juniors - and with an explicit indication that clubs will be judged according to their locations in the East/South area - namings such as Scottish Junior Superleague, Lowland Superleague, or East-West Superleague might be inappropriate).

Does anyone know if that's been decided, suggested, even just rumoured?

If there isn't automatic promotion/relegation then it may be difficult for clubs excluded at the start to ascend in future. However, if there is automatic pro/rel, why bother with

because at the end of 'Year 1' a couple of central clubs could go down and a couple of clubs from the fringe could come up?

I very much suspect they haven't thought it through that much.

Archived