East/West Combined Super League

HTG

Its not really longer distances with m8 and m80 links improved now. Would take 40 mins to get to edinburgh you can get to Glasgow Airport from Falkirk between 45 and 50 mins. Easier for some of the lothians teams to travel west than Travel north i'd say

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's unworkable, it's just a really rubbish idea.

Basically this allows them to form the new league against the wishes of the clubs, as the previous proposal involved fully reorganising the 2 Superleagues - whereas in this case they're simply asking for invitations then can take whoever goes for it.

Unless clubs talk to each other (which would be a novelty) then you may well find clubs who don't want to play in it feeling they have to apply anyway, for fear they don't apply but a few of their equivalents do, then they get left behind.

It's also seems loaded with enough ambiguous criteria that it would be very difficult to see how any club could challenge the committee's choices: how do you define "pitch standard" as distinct from "ground facilities"? Isn't a criteria of "geography travel costs" simply unfair? It even says that clubs will be actively chosen to try and keep travelling down and keep/create some derbies which isn't really a level playing field. And how can you measure "fan base / travelling support" when barely any Junior clubs publish crowds, and SJFA only collect SJFA cup gate receipts?

Plus no mention of LL/pyramid.

When was that sent out ? So clubs have less than a month to decide , doesn't seem very long.

Just noticed that myself.

It's ironic that, after the criticisms levelled at the LL of being "rushed" through without some clubs having enough time to consider things, the SJFA are now racing ahead with an even more accelerated process for their own (rival?!) Lowland structure. Clubs get a letter on 30th June, and have to apply by 31st July, that single month being right across the closed season and holiday period.

Plus as least the LL had been talked about for years and was known to be coming - everyone on here at least seemed to think the Superduperleague idea had bitten the dust, and it's the first I've seen this idea.

One other odd thing is the start date of 2016-17. If it's done by expressions of interest and not by taking existing leagues (or league placings) as part of a rehash, why the initial rush, then the long wait.

Hmmm, I'd disagree to an extent. You've specified Glasgow Airport from Falkirk in about 45 mins but Lothian and Edinburgh teams further east who, for example, may have to travel down to Ayrshire, can factor in at least another 45minutes to an hour travelling time. And possibly even longer if you include the heavier volume of traffic around cities and major routes on Saturdays.

But those teams are likely to find themselves blocked on too far away rule. This IMO if for some incredible reason goes ahead will in effect create a 4th central region.

I can't see ground condition or any other criteria being pinned down eitas HibbeeJibee said it looks like its deliberitly set to be ambiguous as possible.

From what locheeboy posted previously the larger superleague clubs wanted it the last time around, so they maybe already know who is likely to apply.

I certainly suspect a fair number of clubs have been already earmarked for this. Maybe not all 12 but I reckon they've already got at least half the clubs in mind.

Yeah you're probably right there, but when it comes to travel, surely it should be up to the individual clubs to decide whether they're logistically or financially 'too far away'.

Quite simply: The whole thing is a piece of unworkable fucking nonsense.

Whoever drafted or contributed to that letter should be encouraged to f**k off far away from all things football.

Yea probably but your likely to get situation where a club possibly is happy to make 8-9 hour + trips but everyone else will moan like f**k over having to do it once a season.

There would seem to be 2 main objections to the plans.

Firstly the broader concept... is this intended as a rival to the pyramid and the LL, and is forming a single 12-team Superduperleague league going to help / hinder the Junior game.

Secondly the criteria... is it fair to judge by location, (supposed) supports and derbies - then form by application, very quickly.

Unless you ask the "distance" question a different way. What is the definition of the starting point for "too far away"?

That's probably aimed at clubs from the old Tayside region. They don't want a club like Forfar West End gatecrashing the proceedings. Back when the superleagues were brought in your club wanted an East, Central and Ayrshire axis rather than a East, Fife and Tayside one. If this all ties into the pyramid and I suspect it might be being done with a view towards being part of club licensing and eventually acting as a third feeder to SPFL4 then Tayside (with a few exceptions in and around Perth) now falls under the HL catchment as far as the SFA are concerned.

Hmmm, I'd disagree to an extent. You've specified Glasgow Airport from Falkirk in about 45 mins but Lothian and Edinburgh teams further east who, for example, may have to travel down to Ayrshire, can factor in at least another 45minutes to an hour travelling time. And possibly even longer if you include the heavier volume of traffic around cities and major routes on Saturdays.

Well I put in google maps bonnyrigg to Pollok can be done in an hour. Its an hour and a quarter/half for most teams camelon bo'ness to go to likes of Carnoustie and lochee so whats the difference.

Unless you ask the "distance" question a different way. What is the definition of the starting point for "too far away"?

You can't get much further from the centre than Auchinleck, Cumnock and Glenafton. So that's those three bombed out.

You can't get much further from the centre than Auchinleck, Cumnock and Glenafton. So that's those three bombed out.

Indeed, needs to be a centralised league that keeps local rivalries so the obvious candidates from both leagues are (and looking at the criteria)-

1. Linlithgow

2. Boness

3. Camelon

4. Falkirk

5. Sauchie

6. Bathgate

7. Dunipace

8. Cumbernauld

9. Kilsyth

10. Petershill

11. Maryhill

12. Ashfield

Cant say fairer than that. Ayrshire and East Lothian are too far from the centre to be viable propositions for this league.

Archived