East/West Combined Super League

HTG

You have to start somewhere and if Ayrshire in particular chooses to opt out then there's not much that can be done about it. The Lowland League has been built using an applications system to get it up and running so the model for doing so is already in place.

You keep saying Ayrshire but it has been reported only two WEST were in favour, theres two teams to get it started , hardly a top league though ?

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You keep saying Ayrshire but it has been reported only two WEST were in favour, theres two teams to get it started , hardly a top league though ?

I think there is more private support than that. I can't see him putting his neck out without having a feel for numbers.

Good on him. About time there was some leadership and direction in the Juniors. If you don't fancy it don't apply.

Edit to add that I still don't endorsed this - I'd far prefer we all just joined up with the Lowland League but if it takes us a step in the right direction then so much the better.

Leadership !!! Good on him !!!...TJ is simply looking after himself...if he presses ahead with this without consent of clubs he should be removed from office.

If we are going forward then the lowland league and not this keep TJ in a job set up is the way to go.Do not want my club to apply for it,there is nothing to be gained travelling to Carnoustie for a league match,nothing whatsoever...the lowland route has many advantages...other than that my club can make more cash playing Medda,Talbot,Buffs in an Ayrshire league.

I think there is more private support than that. I can't see him putting his neck out without having a feel for numbers.

There may be but from the people I have spoken with it certainly isnt the top six which is the preferred option surely ?

If it were the other way and the East teams were dubious I certainly wouldnt want to enter a league with the lower teams from the East, both financially and prestige wise, just because they were in favour.

Btw I dont believe all East teams are in favour either.

Was in the newsagents again, so for the sake of 60p I bought the paper to look at the article (that's me bought a Sun more in the last month than the previous decade I think :lol:!!).

Basically the heading is that Johnston "vows to keep on battling for a new Super Superleague" of either 1 or 2 divisions, formed by "leading clubs from the 2 main regions". However, notably his subsequent quotes aren't quite as bullish as the article's opening.

"It was what we expected. Some people are up for a change, while others were strongly opposed to it. The cost of added travel seems to be one of the major objections. Some of the Ayrshire clubs in particular expressed reservations primarily because of that.

"There was a bit of a geographical split with more reservations from the West clubs. While some of the East clubs seemed more open to change. But I think the principle behind the meeting, to see what sort of appetite there was for change, was acceptable to the clubs.

"What we are trying to do with this is get the best v best and raise the profile of the Junior game.

[Then several paragraphs saying clubs look after themselves, it was just a consultation, he'll go back to the drawing board, then bring it back].

"It's certainly not been abandoned or dropped off the radar altogether. But we all realise that it's not something that will happen overnight. Some clubs felt that the product we have now is good and that there was no real reason to change it. But if you stand still in this day and age you will quickly get overtaken".

Leadership !!! Good on him !!!...TJ is simply looking after himself...if he presses ahead with this without consent of clubs he should be removed from office.

If we are going forward then the lowland league and not this keep TJ in a job set up is the way to go.Do not want my club to apply for it,there is nothing to be gained travelling to Carnoustie for a league match,nothing whatsoever...the lowland route has many advantages...other than that my club can make more cash playing Medda,Talbot,Buffs in an Ayrshire league.

Without getting sidetracked too much, it becomes much tougher for the more far-flung teams to get into the top division once the best of East and West get involved. Carnoustie, one of the better sides from the old Tayside region at present, can't compete well in the present East set-up so would likely struggle to get a consistently good side to flourish in a combined East/West league. 11 of the 16 are old East/Lothian region. 4 of the bottom 6 are from Fife/Tayside.

It's far more likely that the regular opposition from the present East set-up will be teams between Harthill and the far end of the Edinburgh bypass.

Don't think there's much danger of you travelling to Carnoustie on a regular basis. The top Tayside and north Fife teams usually yo-yo between the bottom half of the east superleague and the top half of the east premier at the moment. Right now the top ten clubs in the east are Kelty, Newtongrange, Lithgae, Bo'ness, Penicuik, Bonnyrigg, Musselburgh, Sauchie, Broxburn and Sauchie. All those clubs are reasonably easy to get to from the Glasgow area.

Don't think there's much danger of you travelling to Carnoustie on a regular basis. The top Tayside and north Fife teams usually yo-yo between the bottom half of the east superleague and the top half of the east premier at the moment. Right now the top ten clubs in the east are Kelty, Newtongrange, Lithgae, Bo'ness, Penicuik, Bonnyrigg, Musselburgh, Sauchie, Broxburn and Sauchie. All those clubs are reasonably easy to get to from the Glasgow area.

Currently only one team from the top seven in the West Superleague is in the Glasgow area

I didn't know Sauchie had two teams.

Think what was reported was that only two from the west (believed to be Clydebank and Rob Roy) voiced an opinion in favour. A lot of people stay quiet in meetings.

The delegates at the West meeting the other night were certainly not keeping quiet!

Sounds like if Tom Johnston wants to bring it back as he appears to (for whatever reason) there will need to be some outside the box thinking.

East and west sections of 8 playing home and away inside their section and once against the teams in the other section provides 22 games with 7 out of 11 away games guaranteed to be inside the region. Then there could be an east-west playoff to determine an overall champion.

Sounds like if Tom Johnston wants to bring it back as he appears to (for whatever reason) there will need to be some outside the box thinking.

East and west sections of 8 playing home and away inside their section and once against the teams in the other section provides 22 games with 7 out of 11 away games guaranteed to be inside the region. Then there could be an east-west playoff to determine an overall champion.

I like it.

Winner into the Lowland League IMO :-)

Could do what they do in the MLS in the USA and play teams from your own conference twice and teams from the other conference once. two leagues of 12 that would be 33 games then playoffs between two region champions to win it.

Yep have thought of that one but 33 games is a tad too much especially if a bad winter and Scottish Cup backlog...could do it with 10 team league more likely.

However it would need to be the East region fixtures secretary that works out the schedule as it would be far too difficult for the West guy to comprehend never mind implement.

It may well be there's matters going on behind the scenes that Johnston's not telling them - that he may have been told by the SFA either he makes sure the Juniors get with the programme on the pyramid end game or they'll be disaffiliated altogether. He may well be having to play more of a Gospatric role more than anyone knows rather than out of self interest. Time will tell perhaps.

Your East-West sections seems the best workable compromise, with a play-off for an overall champion. I'd take it one stage further and the champion taking part in the SPFL play offs - this would produce a workable two semi-finals and a final, would make the Junior set up part of a pyramid whilst retaining the Junior Cup, etc, and little else would need to be altered, save perhaps turning the Northern Juniors into a league for promotion/relegation into the Highland League and ending the annual Strathspey Thistle/Fort William fiasco. Everyone ends up happy.

Archived