Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not exactly news though with SNP on that case, although I would certainly speculate that they are certainly more united on their front for independence, especially after seeing what happened with NATO. My problem with Labour right now is that they are very anti-incumbent without coming with enough substance of their own.

I would say it's a recognisable gap. I would argee that a combination between the UKIP difference up here and down south, as well as couple of polls I've seen would say there is at the very least a contrast.

I'd hope so! :P

There is certainly a gap but it isn't exactly vast. Probably single digit too. Well within the realms of going one way or the other depending on which way the wind is blowing.

I'd hope so! :P

There is certainly a gap but it isn't exactly vast. Probably single digit too. Well within the realms of going one way or the other depending on which way the wind is blowing.

So we'll vote for independence if the wind's blowing in the right direction?

That'll do for me at this stage.

Just reading a debate on a student forum with a member called "Mr Tory" arguing for a one month cap on JSA(lifetime) and arguing that anyone who gets sacked for misconduct should rely on food banks because its obviously their own fault.

Urgh, this kinda stuff riles me up so badly

Just reading a debate on a student forum with a member called "Mr Tory" arguing for a one month cap on JSA(lifetime) and arguing that anyone who gets sacked for misconduct should rely on food banks because its obviously their own fault.

Urgh, this kinda stuff riles me up so badly

That would be the point, I think.

So we'll vote for independence if the wind's blowing in the right direction?

That'll do for me at this stage.

I suppose we would. Unfortunatley for you nats it's directly into your faces and you're also climbing a mountain. It might work out better next time though, who knows?

Why would it be out of spite? They may veto in their own self interest though.

Spain has a much bigger problem than the UK does with secessionists anyway. They wouldn't be coming out and saying what they said yesterday otherwise. Can you guarantee that Spain won't veto? Can you guarantee that we will be negotiating from within? Can you guarantee that we will have the exact same opt outs that the UK has negotiated in the past forty years?

Well, their foreign minister can:

"If the two parts of the United Kingdom are in agreement that [scottish independence] is in accord with their constitutional arrangement, written or unwritten, Spain would have nothing to say, we would simply maintain that it does not affect us."

The constitutional arrangements of the United Kingdom are one thing, those of Spain another, and it is their own business if they decide to separate from one another."
They refuse to recognise Kosovan independence because that came as a result of a unilateral referendum which Serbia didn't recognise: just as Spain doesn't recognise the Catalan referendum. The UK recognises the Scottish referendum through the Edinburgh Agreement. The situations are not analogous and there is absolutely no chance of Spain vetoing Scotland's entry to the EU.

Well, their foreign minister can:

"If the two parts of the United Kingdom are in agreement that [scottish independence] is in accord with their constitutional arrangement, written or unwritten, Spain would have nothing to say, we would simply maintain that it does not affect us."

The constitutional arrangements of the United Kingdom are one thing, those of Spain another, and it is their own business if they decide to separate from one another."
They refuse to recognise Kosovan independence because that came as a result of a unilateral referendum which Serbia didn't recognise: just as Spain doesn't recognise the Catalan referendum. The UK recognises the Scottish referendum through the Edinburgh Agreement. The situations are not analogous and there is absolutely no chance of Spain vetoing Scotland's entry to the EU.

In spite of their PM (the foreign ministers boss) saying different.

I think you are back to assertion once again.

The UK made the referendum legally binding with the Edinburgh agreement and in spite of the nat clown collective whining it is worth noting how easy the government was to deal with here. Unlike the likes of Spain who would have had the tanks sitting in the grounds of Holyrood if it got a bit tasty.

Ther's also the small point that support for Catalonian secession is miles higher than for the Scottish version, hence the government pretty much giving Salmond as much rope as necessary to hang himself. They might not have been so accomodating otherwise. But who knows?

So still no details from the NO camp on Currency or our position on the EU.

Can't be much longer until the people decide they don't like being taken for a fool. If the apologists don't deliver the information the people have been calling for it will all end in tears for No Scotland.

Give the people the information and let us make the call.

In spite of their PM (the foreign ministers boss) saying different.

I think you are back to assertion once again.

Please point out where Rajoy has said any differently? He's said we would be negotiating our entry from outwith the EU, not from within. He did not say they would veto Scotland's entry. They only statement from the Spanish government specifically relating to Scotland's entry being vetoed was García Margallo's statement saying they wouldn't.

Archived