Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Scottish Government you mean?

Both westminster and the sg

Westminster hasnt dipped into the coffers for Glasgow for years and now 2 projects within a week,now off you pop and google some projects westminster has payed for,but everybody else knows what i mean

None of that disagrees with with what I said.

Sorry I thought the part where you said NATO isn't a nuclear alliance was ever so slightly contradicted by NATO saying that it is.

Both westminster and the sg

Westminster hasnt dipped into the coffers for Glasgow for years and now 2 projects within a week,now off you pop and google some projects westminster has payed for,but everybody else knows what i mean

Well, yes.

Large population centre attracts investment from central government. Astonishing news.

Population of Dundee: 140,000; Aberdeen: 210,000; Glasgow: 600,000; Edinburgh: 500,000; Inverness: 70,000; Perth: 50,000.

Total: 1.57 million which is around 30% of the Scottish population.

But, that's not considering urban areas and is stuck to the government definition of a 'city'. I don't think Perth and Inverness are more relevant than 'Greater Glasgow' which changes things a bit. We have:

Greater Glasgow: 1,170,000

Edinburgh: 500,000

Aberdeen: 210,000

Dundee: 150,000

Falkirk: 90,000

The top five population areas give about 40% of the national population. If turnout for these areas is around 75% while the rest of the country is down to 65% (which is quite a difference) then they would still only be worth 44% of the vote. That's assuming that the percentage of eligible voters is the same in each area.

Out of curiosity, where does Greater Glasgow start and end?

*sigh*

A

YES

VOTE

ISN'T

A

VOTE

FOR

THE

SNP.

Is it sinking in yet?

For at least 18 months it very much is - the SNP are taking a yes as the chance to implement their white paper.

How do you vote for indy but out of NATO for instance? or Indy with no monarchy ?

For at least 18 months it very much is - the SNP are taking a yes as the chance to implement their white paper.

How do you vote for indy but out of NATO for instance? or Indy with no monarchy ?

And worse than that, plan to try and shoehorn what are party political decisions in a constitution.

Which is disgraceful.

You would vote for whatever party has the abolition of the monarchy in their manifesto after a yes vote.

What is your position on:

Trident

The monarchy

NATO?

All you do is criticise the SNP position. What would you do different?

You would vote for whatever party has the abolition of the monarchy in their manifesto after a yes vote.

Really? By that time I think perhaps the proposed new Scotland will already be in place.

The BBC's coverage of the independence debate has been absolutely abysmal so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised but....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28192293

"Without Scotland, the UK would move from being the 45th most densely populated country to the 29th. So an already busy island would suddenly become much more crowded statistically at least".

NO IT WOULDN'T. BECAUSE ENGLAND/WALES IS NOT AN ISLAND. f**k sake!!!!! The remaining part of the United Kingdom would become statistically more crowded but "the island" would be exactly the same.

Good insight into how England sees us, or perhaps doesn't see us since, according to this Scotland is literally an imaginary realm somewhere beyond the north coast of England.

Noticed that earlier and had to read it a couple of times to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I for one will be delighted when Scotland digs a channel along Hadrians Wall and leaves England to drift off on it's own, which is obviously what the BBC are suggesting will happen.

Really? By that time I think perhaps the proposed new Scotland will already be in place.

Don't want to but in on your conversation but can an anti-monarchy party that comes to power in say 30 years not abolish it?

Sorry I thought the part where you said NATO isn't a nuclear alliance was ever so slightly contradicted by NATO saying that it is.

Depends on your definition of nuclear alliance. I said it was a military alliance with nuclear weapons. The primary role of NATO was the defence of it's component nations from agression - it's predecessor, the WUDO had no nuclear weapons. Nations do not join up primarily to share nuclear technology or to proliferate nuclear weapons (surely a itghter definition of 'nuclear alliance'?). It's history has always pushed conventional defence as the primary rung on the ladder of defence. It's subsequent interventions in the balkans and Afghanistan have pushed the conventional arm of NATO.

IN this respect then, an iScotland's effectively hostile stance to nuclear weapons is not a priori a rejection of NATO principles.

Out of curiosity, where does Greater Glasgow start and end?

think the likes of clydebank , rutherglen , kirkintilloch, bishopbriggs , bearsden , newton mearns etc count as greater glasgow with potentially east kilbride, cumbernauld and paisley thrown in there aswell.

Elections will take place before independence day. Vote for the greens as they are anti-nato and anti monarchy. Or, you could just stop whinging like a big lassie :)

Elections will take place before independence day. Vote for the greens as they are anti-nato and anti monarchy. Or, you could just stop whinging like a big lassie :)

Not according to the SNP they won't!

They want independence day to be in March 2016 before elections in May 2016.

Not according to the SNP they won't!

They want independence day to be in March 2016 before elections in May 2016.

Fair enough. Doesn't change the fact as a sovereign nation we will be able to choose our own path and elect a government which best fits views on things.

I want a republic at some point in the future but I'm not in a state of perma rage over retaining the monarchy. If enough people want rid then that's what will happen. Same with NATO.

Archived