Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I've just had a second thought about this. Carney needs to bolster the pound due to the uncertainty and mess that Westminster have created, thus he is naturally going to knock it on the head. I am still of the opinion though that if push comes to shove the BoE (and Westminster politicians for that matter) then a considerably more pragmatic approach will be taken.

All he said was that if Westminster don't want a currency union we won't get one, the word independent is only a word.

I'll humour you. NATO doesn't really bother me. If there was a threat to us, I am sure most of the developed world would be really worried. We are in a highly strategic position. No real worry there at all.

EU. I'm actually leaning towards joining the EFTA (Norway in this position at the moment) as we can pick and choose which EU directives we want to follow, but would still be in the common market. If we're in under similar terms, I'd still probably prefer the EU, though.

Pound. I'm of the belief that we'll probably form our own currency eventually. The CU would hopefully be a stop gap measure. I'd envision us to be akin to Denmark and Germany.

Im sure other countries would be worried and even come to your aid without a doubt.

However that is fundamentally imho unfair, because it's like having a flat share and one person is constanly doing the washing up. Sure we could get bogged down in US UK forign policy, but for a country to spend less on defense does put more pressure on others and I don't see it as fair. You are in a stategic possision yet you expect some other counrty to bail you out should Putin come knocking is a little presumptuous and not really fair.

I started a thread in December last year (on a tech forum) predicting Putin would invade Ukraine soon, It's also true he wants to rebuild the USSR, and 4 NATO allies are almost in a war state. Poland who is now lethaly arming Ukraine and LIT, LAT & EST. As well as other behind the scences NATO arrmament of Ukaine. Putin can't back down or he will risk losing his power at home, It may take weeks, months or years, but we will be at war. The Putin's unmarked troops "little green men" are appearing Moldova's Russian backed transnistria break away state in the last day http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3201808/posts

Defence is my biggest issue with indpendence, I agree having trident on my door step is worring, but better to have it then not.

For the EU it must succeed or Europe is screwed.

The probelm with currency is we will all suffer if the Union falls. The pound will be battered, 10 - 20% drops are possible.

Im sure other countries would be worried and even come to your aid without a doubt.

However that is fundamentally imho unfair, because it's like having a flat share and one person is constanly doing the washing up. Sure we could get bogged down in US UK forign policy, but for a country to spend less on defense does put more pressure on others and I don't see it as fair. You are in a stategic possision yet you expect some other counrty to bail you out should Putin come knocking is a little presumptuous and not really fair.

I started a thread in December last year (on a tech forum) predicting Putin would invade Ukraine soon, It's also true he wants to rebuild the USSR, and 4 NATO allies are almost in a war state. Poland who is now lethaly arming Ukraine and LIT, LAT & EST. As well as other behind the scences NATO arrmament of Ukaine. Putin can't back down or he will risk losing his power at home, It may take weeks, months or years, but we will be at war. The Putin's unmarked troops "little green men" are appearing Moldova's Russian backed transnistria break away state in the last day http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3201808/posts

Defence is my biggest issue with indpendence, I agree having trident on my door step is worring, but better to have it then not.

The probelm with currency is we will all suffer if the Union falls. The pound will be battered, 10 - 20% drops are possible.

Why is it better to have them than to not have them?

Swimming against the tide perhaps, but I actually think HB is a decent poster who does highlights a fair amount of nonsense on the Indy board at times, and I do accept his point about the lack of self policing, but even given that, it's fingers over the eyes stuff reading back over his contributions today.

More top trolling from Salmond;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11083874/Alex-Salmond-implies-Queen-backs-Scottish-independence.html

Life is unfair and pretty shitty so if you can get some breaks then all to the good. We bailed out Europe numerous times in the last couple of hundred years so we can for a while let them deal with something on their own. Your constant moaning about everything yes do as being unfair and/or worrying is getting tiresome. BT fear mongering is obsessive. As for your Trident comment you are clearly insane. Any accident and we are all wiped out, no unfairness there eh..!!

I think you are confusing Putin's aggressive actions (and there is no doubt they are that) with a desire to reclaim the USSR and not just a way of flexing his political muscles and give "the West" a bloody nose at the same time. If he genuinely wished to do that then he could roll tanks into Kiev in a matter of hours. It's a hell of a lot closer to the Russian border than Crimea is for example. The Donbas region is a political pawn not some expansionist territory. All in all if you know your history then Crimea, Kiev and the Donbas are historically linked to the foundations Russia. In fact quite a lot of that could be taken as the ranting of a tin foil hat wearer, although I am no so harsh as to suggest that there is no kernel of truth at the centre of it.

However, this is a Scottish independence forum, so I'm not really wanting to stray into the Ukrainian conflict, and with that context in mind you need to understand that Scotland, as a generalisation, has historically considered itself non-nuclear and have hated the idea that we have nuclear weapons stationed just miles from our biggest city. It's just another example of what we would consider it an act of arrogance to place them somewhere where they are not wanted with so little grace about it from Westminster.

Archived