Scottish Independence

xbl

Can a No voter, any No voter please clarify exactly why David Cameron is cancelling PMQ's to come up to Scotland to beg for people to vote No when he has repeatedly explicitly said that this was a choice for the people of Scotland and that he wouldn't involve himself?

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can a No voter, any No voter please clarify exactly why David Cameron is cancelling PMQ's to come up to Scotland to beg for people to vote No when he has repeatedly explicitly said that this was a choice for the people of Scotland and that he wouldn't involve himself?

I'm not sure why it has to be tomorrow. There's still seven other days he could choose to come up. You don't think it might be some kind of political stunt, do you?

I'm a Yes voter. It's not cancelled. Their deputies will be standing in.

On the other bit, it's because he's fucked up royally with his 'nothing to do with me mate, I don't have a vote' patter. So he's now making himself look a complete c**t (not for the first time) by doing exactly what he said he wouldn't do.

I've not read his full comments yet but I have read a summary, and if it's the same then you can't argue with his reasoning.

What is interesting, though, is that he is not ruling out a currency union and he won't because it benefits the bank and the country even if it's in the short term to have one.

I've always said we should set up an independent central bank and use our own currency. That said I would still prefer full powers and negotiating a union than having limited power and have to kowtow to Westminster.

he cant really win he got moaned at for saying nothing now he is heading up he gets moaned at as for why he, is pm for the uk and wants us to stick together maybe that's why

I'm a Yes voter. It's not cancelled. Their deputies will be standing in.

Yeah, it's not cancelled. Hague is standing in and you would have to describe him as a "safe pair of hands". That said any difficult questions will just be given the brush off saying they will need to take it up with Cameron when he returns.

It is a tad fishy he chooses the PMQ day to come up though.

I'm saying I want the people of Scotland to be given the right to decide their own future. As I'll repeat again, the consequences of a Yes will be detrimental to me personally, as I don't live in Scotland.

Self-determination is the fair and right thing, though.

I laughed at your attempted "united, but independent" parallel with the US. If you think that's a well-run society, you're even more barking than I assumed. Sell some grass perfectly legally and then get arrested, imprisoned and your business confiscated because you're breaking the law? Aye, that's Utopia right there.

Did i say anything about basing it on the USA? I said a collection of United states of Britain.. or Untied countries to stop any diambiguation. It just a name. countries are called States and United means together, you are just making assumptions. Jeez, I imagine they had this discussion when forming the EU.

Stop dodging the question.

Do you want an independent Scotland to be in the EU and NATO or not?

he cant really win he got moaned at for saying nothing now he is heading up he gets moaned at as for why he, is pm for the uk and wants us to stick together maybe that's why

"Moaning" at him for not openly debating this issue and moaning at him now for totally going against his word and scrambling around talking about new powers after the vote has started, are not contradictions.

He's had a nightmare. Which is nice.

kevthedee, on 09 Sept 2014 - 17:56, said:

No, I suppose you can't win when you completely contradict yourself as soon as it looks like their is a chance it won't go his way. He had his chance to convince the Scottish people to stay with the Union, it's far too little too late.

Actually I've just had a second thought about this. Carney needs to bolster the pound due to the uncertainty and mess that Westminster have created, thus he is naturally going to knock it on the head. I am still of the opinion though that if push comes to shove the BoE (and Westminster politicians for that matter) then a considerably more pragmatic approach will be taken.

Archived