Scottish Independence

xbl

Got a fair surprise last night. It took me a while to decide I was voting yes, and all through it any time I've gone to my parents' house to discuss any of it with them they we were both staunch "no's". Last night all of a sudden, both were seriously considering a yes. I have a feeling the tide has turned and the result has a certain air of inevitability about it now. Since the one poll indicated a yes lead, BT have essentially tried everything possible to shoot themselves in the foot.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deliberately trolling IMO:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/17/scotland-struggle-newly-independent-state

Comparing Scotland to Kosovo, South Sudan, Lebanon, Slovakia, Kyrgyzstan, El Salvador, Turkmenistan and the Republic of Congo.

Not sure if serious. For the part about Kosovo alone that should never have ,made it to publication. What a ludicrous argument.

Deliberately trolling IMO:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/17/scotland-struggle-newly-independent-state

Comparing Scotland to Kosovo, South Sudan, Lebanon, Slovakia, Kyrgyzstan, El Salvador, Turkmenistan and the Republic of Congo.

More fear and belittlement. And not just of Scotland.

What an absolute fcking c**t of an author.

Anybody who says vote no this time we will get another shot in 10 years or so .

No we will not "Asked on Radio 4 if a "No" vote would only hold back independence for a short time, Alistair Darling says: "No, because both sides are agreed. This is to settle the matter for a generation.""

are you genuinely trying to say the Yes campaign and supporters haven't used bully tactics in this campaign? :lol:

Absolutely.

Are you trying to say that BetterTogether haven't been utter c***s who have ran the most despicably deceitful political campaign in Scottish history?

Somebody said Westminster could pull the option for us to have a 'Indy' vote ever again if we vote no.

Is there any credence in that?

I know Westminster reserves the right to 'pull' the Scottish Parliament but would they ever do that?

Don't see why not - that's what they did with Quebec IIRC (happy to be corrected here though)

Will be interesting to see what happens if these superubermax new powers don't appear in the event of a no imo

Not just Lord Barnett:

In case anyone is in any doubt about the Barnett formula, the stated aim of Westminster is to reduce public spending so even if Barnett is retained its value to Scotland must fall if Westminster achieves its stated aims on public spending.
But, despite noises from BT?NT to the contrary, as you point out Nancy there is real doubt that Barnett will survive and its replacement will certainly not be more favourable to Scotland than Barnett. And there are plenty indications out there that all the Westminster parties want to see Barnett chopped as these quotes posted on Wings Over Scotland in February clearly demonstrate (the “best” one being from Joel Barnett himself after whom the formula is named):
David Cameron, Prime Minister “[The Barnett formula] cannot last forever, the time is approaching”
Alistair Carmichael (Liberal Democrat) – “We do want to see Barnett scrapped. We want to see that replaced by what we call a needs based formula.”
Margaret Curran (Labour) – “I do believe that we should allocate public funding on the basis of need and it should not be around just a regional or a national demarcation around that.”
The House of Commons Justice Select Committee – “The Barnett Formula is overdue for reform and lacks any basis in equity or logic. It creates controversy in all of the constituent parts of the UK. There is controversy in England that the Barnett Formula allows for higher levels of public spending in Scotland from the UK Exchequer and does not deal with different needs in different parts of England. We urge the Government to publish its position as a matter of some urgency and to proceed to devise a new formula which is needs based, takes into account regional disparities in England as well as in Scotland and Wales, is transparent and is sufficiently robust to enable long-term planning.”
Local Government Association, England – “Council leaders in England are to campaign for Scotland’s block grant to be cut. Local government chiefs south of the Border say they are envious of the powers and funding given to a devolved Scotland and have revealed they will push for the UK Treasury to scrap the Barnett formula, the system that gives Scotland more per head of UK funds than it does to England and Wales.
The All Party Parliamentary Taxation Group – “The APPTG echoes the findings of the House of Lords Committee on the Barnett Formula in recommending that a shift is required towards a ‘needs-based’ formula, whereby a ‘dynamic’ and ‘simple, clear, and comprehensible’ system is used to allocate resources to the devolved regions ‘based on an explicit assessment of their relative needs’, calculated ‘per head of population’.”
Ruth Davidson, Leader of the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party – “Barnett was only supposed to be temporary… I do think that there will be a review of Barnett after 2014. The ground has shifted since devolution.”
Lord Lang of Monkton – “On the Barnett surplus, everyone knows that the basis of the present distribution of funds is out of date. We know that that, too, created an imbalance that can be put right. A fair-minded Scotland would agree. We need an up-to-date measurement of relative need in Scotland and elsewhere in the United Kingdom.”
The Calman Commission – “The commission has decided major changes need to be made. Significantly, however, experts believe the change will result in a drop in Scotland’s budget – which could lead to cuts in service”.
Lord Joel Barnett, who devised the formula – “It’s quite wrong. It clearly should not be based on per head expenditure but should be based on needs in particular areas. The amount of money going to Scotland on a needs basis by comparison, say with my own North West or the North East, is far higher than it should be, so it should be changed. They'd lose quite a bit in my guess, done on a proper needs basis”.
So what do you think that means for you if we are in the UK?

Somebody said Westminster could pull the option for us to have a 'Indy' vote ever again if we vote no.

Is there any credence in that?

No.

It's part of the laughable Yes fear package, along with the UK leaving the EU, a UKIP government and IMF bailouts for the UK.

No.

It's part of the laughable Yes fear package, along with the UK leaving the EU, a UKIP government and IMF bailouts for the UK.

As far as I'm aware there is nothing in the Scotland Act of 1998 or 2012 that gives the devolved Scottish Parliament the right to call a referendum on independence.

We go one this time because the UK Government agreed to it, it invoked changes via the Reserved and Expected matters area where it still retains all jurisdiction, section 30 I think.

I'm not saying we won't get another vote but it's wrong to say we will definitely get one.

Archived