Scottish Independence

xbl

As far as I'm aware there is nothing in the Scotland Act of 1998 or 2012 that gives the devolved Scottish Parliament the right to call a referendum on independence.

Nor is there anything stopping the Scottish government calling a referendum at any time of its choosing.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Click away chaps:

European Union Shared publicly - 10:08 AM
Poll: The Scotland Independence referendum is less than 24 hours.

Q: If the Scots vote in favour of independence, how do you think the EU should react?

The poll is open till 5pm Central European Time 18th September 2014.

Simply +1 the option you think is the right action. Comments have been disabled, however feel free to discuss this in the European Union Community page.
https://plus.google.com/108549873871553806005/posts/e26hCU4GfU8

European Union

10:08 AM
+
1. Should it allow Scotland to automatically become part of the EU?
photo.jpg
European Union
10:08 AM
+
2. Should it consider Scotland a non-EU country but allow it to join through a fast track process?
photo.jpg
European Union
10:09 AM
+
3. Should it consider Scotland a non-EU country and have it apply and go through the normal process, like every other country wishing to join the EU?

Sorry about the messy C+P, the link to vote is below..

https://plus.google.com/108549873871553806005/posts

To all true undecideds

Hope is a good thing.

I hope Scotland says Yes tomorrow because there is no one better to manage the affairs of Scotland than the people who reside there.

Tomorrow is the only chance Scotland may ever have to do this.

A great man once said 'May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears'

To all true undecideds

Hope is a good thing.

I hope Scotland says Yes tomorrow because there is no one better to manage the affairs of Scotland than the people who reside there.

Tomorrow is the only chance Scotland may ever have to do this.

A great man once said 'May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears'

post-57264-0-34273700-1410954286_thumb.j

As far as I'm aware there is nothing in the Scotland Act of 1998 or 2012 that gives the devolved Scottish Parliament the right to call a referendum on independence.

We go one this time because the UK Government agreed to it, it invoked changes via the Reserved and Expected matters area where it still retains all jurisdiction, section 30 I think.

I'm not saying we won't get another vote but it's wrong to say we will definitely get one.

H_B is correct. They will never refuse a referendum request. If they did it would be disastrous for the union. It would ensure that the next time it would definitely be Yes. However the likelihood of enough Yes MSPs in the Edinburgh parliament to get a referendum vote passed in the future is certainly not certain. So again it comes at from which point of view you wish to side with.

Personally I do not think it would be likely to see a majority government in Scotland for the forseeable future if the Better Together team fulfil their promises. However if they do not I can see the SNP maintaining their majority. Also after how well the Greens have done in speaking up for Independence they may well get more seats next time out.

But the Westminster Government will never refuse a request, I am not even sure it would be legal to refuse as long as they remained in the EU.

H_B is correct. They will never refuse a referendum request. If they did it would be disastrous for the union. It would ensure that the next time it would definitely be Yes. However the likelihood of enough Yes MSPs in the Edinburgh parliament to get a referendum vote passed in the future is certainly not certain. So again it comes at from which point of view you wish to side with.

Personally I do not think it would be likely to see a majority government in Scotland for the forseeable future if the Better Together team fulfil their promises. However if they do not I can see the SNP maintaining their majority. Also after how well the Greens have done in speaking up for Independence they may well get more seats next time out.

But the Westminster Government will never refuse a request, I am not even sure it would be legal to refuse as long as they remained in the EU.

Spain refuse them regularly, as do Italy.

My thoughts on tomorrow.

When I was a very young boy, due to circumstances beyond our control we lost absolutely everything, had to start again. It wasn't easy, starting out is never ever easy. However we believed in making it work. I now see people who've lost everything and the system doesnt help them, I sit in meetings about lost causes, the unhelpables where the jist of it for the vast majority is there is no money for it. But then I also see a massive display of power just up the road, with money thrown at it unlimited overtime, with no real benefit to anyone and people actually starving and loosing their homes just down the road. Constantly seeing people resorting to desperate measures and seeing people at the worst and most traumatic time of your life really hits home, this isn't a small number of people its horrendously large. I can only speak from my own experiences and some may dismiss them as anecdotal, however I believe (and this whole thing is about belief isnt it?) that I am not the only one who recognises this. I genuinely can't see anyone trying to do anything about it, that includes the current Government, thats why I believe a change is necessary. Instead of a house of lords as a second chamber, what about a house of the people, which reflects all opinions ( i truly believe that no matter what side of the divide you fall on you think the way you do because you want the best for everyone).

I know of a doctor who has had to refer several working families to food banks in the past month, this isn't just 'usual customers' as some people have suggested on here, its working families, struggling to make ends meet due to the cost of care provision, child care, food, fuel, power, god even sending a letter now costs a fortune, clothing their kids so that they don't get bullied at school.

Every day i feel completely powerless to help those who really need it, those you can see are too proud to say 'i need a hand here' and its becoming more and more difficult to hold in just how much it hurts. I dont think that white papers or vows of extra powers hold the answer, what we need is to hold the power, create an example for the rest of the world. I've read quite alot of inspiring stuff from both sides, i know im not alone the number of registered voters shows people are listening, what is clear is that these people are listening because they see it as something new, something different, something engaging, regardless of the result we cannot allow it to return to how it was, because it wont return there, there is no chance it will remain the same. But tomorrow is not every day, tomorrow I like everyone else hold the power. I am not scared of the unknown, the uncertainty, the unanswered question, because from what i've seen it really cannot get any worse. I want when I am ill and frail to be able to receive care and not be made to feel a burden to the system, If i ever fall down on my luck, i don't want to be made to feel like i'm the bad guy, i don't want everything handed to me either. I want when I have children for them, their friends and the children of the people less fortunate than my own to be able to go to university and sit in the same class, not because they can afford it, but because they have put the work in and merited that place. When they graduate I don't want them forced into low paid jobs because of the pressure of paying off debt. When I am ill and vulnerable I do not want to have to pay to see my doctor, I don't want to pay to get tablets to make me feel better. I also don't want to see people making the choice between taking their antibiotics or feeding the kids because that £8 could feed the family for a few days.

Alot of decent people are making decent arguments on either side, everyone knows in their heart that they are making the choice that they feel is right. Most people know what my choice is, however if it should be the will of the majority to do differently please don't let them get away with empty promises. If you don't know tomorrow then do a bit of reading, read either side read in between, read stats just make sure you vote. Anyway i've said my bit, i hope not to have offended anyone.

Superbly put, and obviously from the heart. Well said. Now go find a DK and persuade them to use the "Yes" I haven't got. ;)

Optimism returned today. Secured three yes votes since this morning. One of them was super opposed and is forwarding information to his family. I think I can get a fourth or even fifth by tonight.

A lot of people are going right down to the wire.

I'm sure you'll be aware that Westminster, whilst devolving powers, retains the right of Veto over everything. That's why the Edinburgh Agreement was, em, an agreement.

I'm sure you are aware that, erm, there's nothing preventing the Scottish Parliament holding a referendum at any point of its choosing.

Erm.

Thanks it really was,however it was all entirely true, iv tried with as many folks as I can,it's just difficult and understandably so people read the media and believe what they read which is a shame.

It's not so much a shame as a downright crime. The MSM, whose raison d'etre is to inform and educate, has wilfully misled the public in so many ways during the last few months that it goes beyond incompetence and into the bounds of conscious wrongdoing for the sake of pleasing those with vested interests. Since a "Yes" became a realistic possibility, the scale of lying and propaganda has become totally shameless.

Scotland, believe in yourself! God knows, you can't believe a word from Westminster or their Business puppet masters.

Thanks it really was,however it was all entirely true, iv tried with as many folks as I can,it's just difficult and understandably so people read the media and believe what they read which is a shame.

It is a shame, but hopefully people can see beyond the SNP's lies and still vote No.

I'm sure you are aware that, erm, there's nothing preventing the Scottish Parliament holding a referendum at any point of its choosing.

Erm.

Which would be a worthwhile thing, erm, to do, erm, if there was the, erm, slightest chance, erm, of Westminster taking any notice of the, erm, result.

Do you have to practice to be this thick, or is it a gift?

Which would be a worthwhile thing, erm, to do, erm, if there was the, erm, slightest chance, erm, of Westminster taking any notice of the, erm, result.

Do you have to practice to be this thick, or is it a gift?

That depends, erm, on what you wish to do following the vote. Erm.

I think you should stick to embarrassing yourself on the BRALT. That's about your level.

Archived