Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

History will remember Yes voters as being correct imo. Independence only a matter of time now.

Nah, don't agree with that.

I'm under 30 and I don't think I'll ever see another referendum. Think we will see a leap towards Britain and a leap away from nationalism now.

Polls were actually reasonably accurate in the end. Some shift to No on the day. westminster back tracking on "devo max" all ready. See you all in a generation

As I said all along, they were doing YES a favour.

When it was 60/40, it was really 65/35, when it was 52/48 it was really 55/45.

A lot easier to say yes to a pollster than say no. A lot easier to put a cross in the no box than...

Nah, don't agree with that.

I'm under 30 and I don't think I'll ever see another referendum. Think we will see a leap towards Britain and a leap away from nationalism now.

I think it depends on the number of people who were swayed by the offer of extra powers and whether or not these materialise.

Well I am gutted, but that is democracy.

Was it project fear that won it? Maybe. I think the currency issue was a big mistake for Salmond he backed himself into a corner, and people were not prepared to risk pensions etc. Not sure if Europe was a huge issue as we are closer to leaving today than we were yesterday.

Now we need to see what extra powers will come our way. Will their be a genuine effort to involve all parties? Or will Lamont rush to a vote of no confidence in the First Minister?

Cameron has appointed Lord Smith to bring forward the Scottish proposals. But I guess what this has done is shake up the whole of Britain. Cameron now wants the West Lothian question addressed. A tricky one for Labour given their Scottish votes.

So the two year journey is over. I wonder if I will ever see another vote. I am not sure if this is a generation thing. We have 1 Tory MP, we once had 20. But Independence is still a distant object. Labour leaked votes to yes , but still not enough.

What is clear is that we are still in for a fascinating time in UK and Scottish politics. Westminster elections next year will be very difficult to call. Even more interesting in my opinion will be the next Holyrood elections. It will depend I guess on what Government we get in London, but I think Lamont and Labour will struggle to wrestle Holyrood from the SNP.

Time to pull together folks. Whether you like it or not the majority of Scots think we can make the Union work. Let's make the best of what we have and try to produce a modern democratic multinational state we can be proud of.

Nigel Farage,s partys take on it "when the Scots BOTTLE it and they WILL" lots down south hold this opinion and boy were they proved right! FEARTIES is what the majority are,Johann Lament had it right as well,Scots are not genetically programmed to make the big decisions,we have had in this country for hundreds of years people that do not think of themselves primarily as Scottish they have fought for and alongside of the crown even against their own countryman so no chance are they ever going to go against the establishment,my consolation is that 1.6mil have the "bottle" and desire for change, though expected the result I am still gutted,no wonder the English look down on us we have no PRIDE no gumption.

Time to pull together folks. Whether you like it or not the majority of Scots think we can make the Union work. Let's make the best of what we have and try to produce a modern democratic multinational state we can be proud of.

It was more of a case of not thinking we could make independence work, rather than thinking we could make the union work.

Well I am gutted, but that is democracy.

Was it project fear that won it? Maybe. I think the currency issue was a big mistake for Salmond he backed himself into a corner, and people were not prepared to risk pensions etc. Not sure if Europe was a huge issue as we are closer to leaving today than we were yesterday.

Now we need to see what extra powers will come our way. Will their be a genuine effort to involve all parties? Or will Lamont rush to a vote of no confidence in the First Minister?

Cameron has appointed Lord Smith to bring forward the Scottish proposals. But I guess what this has done is shake up the whole of Britain. Cameron now wants the West Lothian question addressed. A tricky one for Labour given their Scottish votes.

So the two year journey is over. I wonder if I will ever see another vote. I am not sure if this is a generation thing. We have 1 Tory MP, we once had 20. But Independence is still a distant object. Labour leaked votes to yes , but still not enough.

What is clear is that we are still in for a fascinating time in UK and Scottish politics. Westminster elections next year will be very difficult to call. Even more interesting in my opinion will be the next Holyrood elections. It will depend I guess on what Government we get in London, but I think Lamont and Labour will struggle to wrestle Holyrood from the SNP.

No - this is what will happen. The Tory backbenches will go into open revolt (as some were last night when the polls had barely shut) & the whole Devo Max thing will get quietly binned next year. The SNP vote will collapse in the same way it did post-79 as disillusioned voters start staying at home again, & it will take a generation to rebuild.

Face it, Yes got cuffed, & that's all the mandate Westminster needs to say "the majority are happy with the way things are." If you thought things were bad now, here comes the real reckoning.

Save me a bit of time and hopefully friends here - I stayed up until just after 3 and I'm trying to catch up with stuff, a lrge chunk of my FB friends are English and there's some right guff getting thrown my way .... has there been examples of the union flag being burned in Scotland ?

Archived