Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

Regardless of the moral high ground many take with statements like it's not about money, personal gain, etc, most people are heavily influenced by what they perceive an outcome will do for their pockets.

My Yes vote has precisely zero to do with personal gain or loss. Whatever way the country votes it will have little or no effect on my personal circumstances. Most Yes voters, especially on here, I suspect are the same.

My Yes vote has precisely zero to do with personal gain or loss. Whatever way the country votes it will have little or no effect on my personal circumstances. Most Yes voters, especially on here, I suspect are the same.

I suspect you are incorrect. Political parties and campaigners would not spend so much time talking about tax rates and policy, spending, how the 'average family' will benefit, etc if they didn't believe it was a huge issue for so many voters. I spend a lot of time working with politicians of all shades and, especially at election times, they can almost become obsessed with convincing the masses they will be better off because all their info. suggests it is a big vote winner.

That has to be the independence campaign's focal point - Labour urban areas. You might cynically suggest targetting those who believe they have most to gain personally from independence. Regardless of the moral high ground many take with statements like it's not about money, personal gain, etc, most people are heavily influenced by what they perceive an outcome will do for their pockets.

I would guess most rural areas are effectively Conservative but as voting Conservative is so last year in Scotland they turned to the SNP. That could explain the disparity between the SNP vote and the polling for the referendum.

certainly plausible in some places like Angus. I do think BT have been succesful in pushing EU uncertainty in these areas, and for them that's massive, both in terms of access to markets and EU subsidies. A lot of these guys live on narrow margins as it is. Alongsid ethat is the Yes campaigns failure to push how often Farmers (and fishermen) in Scotland have been fucked over in UK negotiations at European level over the years, and how independence would increase their direct represnetation at these negotiations.

They are hanging onto what they've got and you can't really blame them for that, but it's kind of like hanging onto an ever diminishing sand bar as the tide comes in.

Still, I don't think rural areas will return too many Yes votes on the day.

He's sating his opinion of what he believes are the facts.

Eh what Burma?

He's stating known facts, about Yes campaign material. That's produced by the SNP.

I suspect you are incorrect. Political parties and campaigners would not spend so much time talking about tax rates and policy, spending, how the 'average family' will benefit, etc if they didn't believe it was a huge issue for so many voters. I spend a lot of time working with politicians of all shades and, especially at election times, they can almost become obsessed with convincing the masses they will be better off because all their info. suggests it is a big vote winner.

I suspect you are partially correct.

I suspect many, if not most No voters are voting on how it will affect them personally. Yes voters not so much. I genuinely believe this to be the case.

I suspect you are partially correct.

I suspect many, if not most No voters are voting on how it will affect them personally. Yes voters not so much. I genuinely believe this to be the case.

If every single piece of evidence was that Scotland would be economically worse off following independence, do you think that support for a Yes vote would be the same? What if the White Paper had said that in an independent Scotland the basic rate of income tax would be bumped to 35%?

If every single piece of evidence was that Scotland would be economically worse off following independence, do you think that support for a Yes vote would be the same? What if the White Paper had said that in an independent Scotland the basic rate of income tax would be bumped to 35%?

A "Yes" vote is a selfless act. It's just the ethical choice, man.

Yes voters are thinking of children. And animals. And the environment.

And haggis and sporrans and porridge and brigadoon and rob roy and bonnie prince charlie and shortbread and oor wullie and bannockburn and archie gemmill and bagpipes and thistles and kilts.