Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

I can just about understand people spoiling their ballot in an election, even though it's an astonishingly VL thing to do. Participating in the democratic process even if you don't respect the legitimacy of said election, or feel that any candidate deserves your vote etc etc.

In a referendum though? It's a fucking yes or no question about what the country "should be". What on earth is the point on turning up to not vote on that? Utterly baffling behaviour. :lol:

As a protest at the sheer awfulness of the two competing visions for Scotland.

There won't be any "visions" on the ballot paper.

Anyone who feels the need to protest against the question "Should Scotland be an independent country?" is an absolute fucking nutcase of the highest order.

Talking of proportion of yes no voters, there was a time on here when yes voters were not a majority on P&B. I remember some significantly anti independence threads on here way back 2006/7ish. One of my first posts was on a independence thread. I think I posted for yes but I went through a bit of a no/undecided stage 2008-2009ish.

Talking of proportion of yes no voters, there was a time on here when yes voters were not a majority on P&B. I remember some significantly anti independence threads on here way back 2006/7ish. One of my first posts was on a independence thread. I think I posted for yes but I went through a bit of a no/undecided stage 2008-2009ish.

That's because no one, including me thought about what independence really meant, but with a bit of research and reflection I quickly became a yes voter in 2012.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but it's interesting that GCHQ have been working on software to manipulate online polls.

Operation Underpass.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28306819

A document that appears to list a wide variety of GCHQ's cyber-spy tools and techniques has been leaked online.

It indicates the agency worked on ways to alter the outcome of online polls, find private Facebook photos, and send spoof emails that appeared to be from Blackberry users, among other things.

Actually if the governement could, do you think they would alter the result of the referendum itself?

I know labour were quite prone to try it in Birmingham (among others), surely the government would be a wee bit better at it.

Or do you trust those in power to be upstanding and honest in their pursuit of democracy?

Tin hat time. (And I realise that most polls are not online)

Edited by Suspect Device

Two of the very worst examples you could not have found.

One, the UKG was at the very heart of.

The other BT and labour at the very heart of.

And explain how the ex-banker Alex Salmond might have dealt with the banks differently?

Given his cosy relationship with some of them I suspect our banking regulations would have been as lax or more so than under Brown/Darling.

It's the sort of historical revisionism that the SNP indulge that gets on my nerves.

I can just about understand people spoiling their ballot in an election, even though it's an astonishingly VL thing to do. Participating in the democratic process even if you don't respect the legitimacy of said election, or feel that any candidate deserves your vote etc etc.

In a referendum though? It's a fucking yes or no question about what the country "should be". What on earth is the point on turning up to not vote on that? Utterly baffling behaviour. :lol:

Because there should have been a third option.

I know blame lies on both sides for that.

As a protest at the sheer awfulness of the two competing visions for Scotland.

After independence you can vote for any vision you like. It's not a vote for the SNP.

Edited by welshbairn

Why bother?

Make up your mind or don't go.

Any time someone doesn't vote it simply encourages the view that the electorate are apathetic and disengaged, thus allowing politicians to think they have more leeway than appropriate to shovel crap policies our way. At least a spoiled ballot paper leaves no-one in any doubt that the voter did not feel that the various available options were worth voting for.

That said, I agree it's less appropriate in a referendum.

Confidensemus at a Public Enemy gig :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cuntydemus now confidensemus? Cringe.

Look, I've given you attention previously and a pat on the head, but you're clearly dying for some attention so I'll give it to you.

Very classy of you to judge my music tastes on my online persona.

What a strange little lad you really are.

Cuntydemus now confidensemus? Cringe.

Look, I've given you attention previously and a pat on the head, but you're clearly dying for some attention so I'll give it to you.

Very classy of you to judge my music tastes on my online persona.

What a strange little lad you really are.

I much prefer Chakademus.

And explain how the ex-banker Alex Salmond might have dealt with the banks differently?

Given his cosy relationship with some of them I suspect our banking regulations would have been as lax or more so than under Brown/Darling.

It's the sort of historical revisionism that the SNP indulge that gets on my nerves.

It's a hypothetical counter factual. It's pointless. The only thing that matters now is how a future Scottish government would deal with the same situation.

It's a hypothetical counter factual.

Hypothetical - yes. As is every estimate of what an Independent Scotland would have done for the past 50 years from a spending and income perspective.

Why is it counter factual though? You made this claim previously, and didn't explain it.

The facts are that the Scottish First Minister was a cheerleader for the excesses and disasterous financial decisions RBS made.