Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

How soon after a NO vote will we be saddled with £1.5 trillion worth of debt?

That's not what I asked, yes we are struggling but I guess managing that debt already as a nation. (UK)

But again, how soon after independence would we be asked to take our share of the debt and would it coincide with an agreed increased share in Oil revenues?

And if not how would we service that debt and still be able to borrow from International banks to fund new infrastructure/service investments, in Health, Education, Housing, Industry etc.

It's not a point scoring statement it's a straight question.

That's not what I asked, yes we are struggling but I guess managing that debt already as a nation. (UK)

But again, how soon after independence would we be asked to take our share of the debt and would it coincide with an agreed increased share in Oil revenues?

And if not how would we service that debt and still be able to borrow from International banks to fund new infrastructure/service investments, in Health, Education, Housing, Industry etc.

An agreed share ? Its our oil.

And what about our assets ? That will offset the debt a bit eh ?

Plus you are adamant that we won't have a currency union. So no debt then ;)

Not all of it, 93 percent or something is by International Law though, not bad.

But again, how soon after independence would we be asked to take our share of the debt

Impossible to answer until we start post yes negotiations with WM

I believe the SNP are hoping for "independence say" to be around 2016 thought

Edited by Enrico Annoni

Again?

Why would the SG take on the debt of a country it has no union and no CU with?

That £1.5 trillion is for ever.

Poor credit will at worst last a few years.

Do you really think that Scotland will not be able to borrow from International banks? Really?

Can you help remind me what the last big infrastructure program in Scotland was, before devolution?

Genuine question, is it the currency that "owes" the national debt of the country itself?

No. A country's national debt comes about after it borrows money from lendors. Typically, this can take the form of bonds which have various names depending on the country (the US has T-Bills and T-Notes, the UK has Gilts, Germany has Bunds etc). The government will say they're looking to raise a certain amount of money, the length of time they want to borrow the money for and the coupon (i.e. the annual interest payment) they're willing to pay.

To use one example I've got on my screen right now: 4% Treasury Gilt 2022, Redemption Date 7/3/22, Issue Date 27/2/2009, Divi dates 7 Mar/Sep, Nominal Value £37,543m.

What that essentially means is that the UK government sold £37.5bn worth of Gilts in 2009, and are paying 4% interest on that (split into 2 payments each year). In 2022, the bondholders would get a final payment of £37.5bn. In reality, the government would probably just issue a new gilt.

That's one of the ways a country borrows money. All this adds up to the national debt, which the country itself must finance.

Again?

Why would the SG take on the debt of a country it has no union and no CU with?

That £1.5 trillion is for ever.

Poor credit will at worst last a few years.

Do you really think that Scotland will not be able to borrow from International banks? Really?

Can you help remind me what the last big infrastructure program in Scotland was, before devolution?

I thought Standard and Poors said we would qualify for a AAA even without oil ?

Scotland has had under investment in infrastructure for generations whilst we've funded another countries infrastructure for generations. Shire state of affairs.

I've seen plenty evidence of vile behaviour from "cyberNats", I've seen some pretty bad some from the No side too but I've seen a lot more and a lot worse from the Yes side.

The reason it's a yes/no is because that is Salmonds preference - he doesn't really want devo-max, otherwise thats what we would be discussing now instead of yes/no. It suited him that the Edinburgh agreement defined the referendum to ask 1 question. Stop blaming WM and DC for everything - Salmond only wants independence, and at any cost.

My understanding is that he wanted Devo Max on the ballot but was opposed by his own party executive.

1) Yep, it will all be handed over immediately, British & Foreign investors will just have to stick it?

2) Which assets do you wish that we keep against our liabilities? And how does that work out financially for Scotland?

3) So no if no Union Currency we just default?

Aye right! ;)

1) Yep, it will all be handed over immediately, British & Foreign investors will just have to stick it?

2) Which assets do you wish that we keep against our liabilities? And how does that work out financially for Scotland?

Aye right! ;)

It's not a case of "we just default". The debt is the UK's. We don't HAVE to take any of it.

Aye right! ;)

So much fail in such a little paragraph.

Handed over ??? :lol: the tax revenue will be ours. Simple as that.

The assets in the BOE for a start. I wonder how much that will be.

We are not liable for the debt. You cannot default on debt you are not liable for. Pretty basic stuff. The only way our share can be defaulted on is if the UK defaults on it.

It's not a case of "we just default". The debt is the UK's. We don't HAVE to take any of it.

We are not liable for the debt. You cannot default on debt you are not liable for. Pretty basic stuff. The only way our share can be defaulted on is if the UK defaults on it.

^^^ Sevco fans IMO