Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

Twitter is absolutely full of dicks who hint they have heard something one way or another without ever saying anything.

In last few weeks I have definitely felt a change. Lots more people coming to yes and real change in mood,and canvassing numbers, on the doorsteps.

I'm not saying we will win but I now think we van and I don't know if I genuinely thought that a month ago.

Twitter is absolutely full of dicks who hint they have heard something one way or another without ever saying anything.

In last few weeks I have definitely felt a change. Lots more people coming to yes and real change in mood,and canvassing numbers, on the doorsteps.

I'm not saying we will win but I now think we van and I don't know if I genuinely thought that a month ago.

How does your canvassing process work? Do you try and give people a "hard sell" on doorsteps if they're undecided or do you simply give them leaflets etc. and let them make up their minds themselves? Do you think there's anything in arguments that people may say they're voting Yes on the doorstep but this is really just to stop being "pestered", as they may view it, by campaigners?

Just asking because no one has been canvassing at my door (probably due to the fact that I live pretty much in the city centre) so I'm not really sure what you guys actually do.

How does your canvassing process work? Do you try and give people a "hard sell" on doorsteps if they're undecided or do you simply give them leaflets etc. and let them make up their minds themselves? Do you think there's anything in arguments that people may say they're voting Yes on the doorstep but this is really just to stop being "pestered", as they may view it, by campaigners?

Just asking because no one has been canvassing at my door (probably due to the fact that I live pretty much in the city centre) so I'm not really sure what you guys actually do.

Well, you speak to folk. Experience plays a part. You're just checking mood.

If someone is a yes or a no I just thank for their time and I'm on my way - unless they want a chat as a lot of yes folk do.

If they are undecided I ask them if there is anything they want to know more about. If they say no then I just leave it at that but some folk do have questions and a couple of times I have chatted for over half an hour.

Every house gets a leaflet or a paper too, unless they refuse it - even amongst Nos they usualky take it. There is no hard sell as there is no point speaking to folk who have made their mind up.

I think most folk who don't want to engage say they are undecided rather than Yes. Definitely getting yes undecideds now, as you would expect close to decision time. Also getting far more informed questions and conversations now. Shit like getting into thr EU, border posts etc just don't come up now whereas they might have before.

Also very few people asking about currency, mist accept we will be using the pound but the questions tend to be more around different implications of currency union or using the pound without CU.

Edited by invergowrie arab

Do you sense much of an in-built bias though? That is, would people say 'yes' just to get rid of you, or 'undecided' if they don't want an argument?

I ask this because if a no came to my door, I wouldn't give them an indication of which way I was voting.

Edited by Mr Heliums

If this was a general election, I do believe there could be ambiguity, but this is a dichotomous decision; yes or no. There is no middle ground and because of that I don't believe people are being "soft sold" on the doorstep. If you are voting Yes and No campaigners turn up to the door you are not going to say "no" or "undecided" and the same applies for No voters.

Do you sense much of an in-built bias though? That is, would people say 'yes' just to get rid of you, or 'undecided' if they don't want an argument?

I ask this because if a no came to my door, I wouldn't give them an indication of which way I was voting.

My sense is when people say they yes they are smiling, conversational etc I don't recall any saying yes and slamming the door. I think some say they are undecided as they don't want to debate on the doorstep and I think you have to sense that a lot of them will be No.

However people will also tell you it's none of your business or they have the tea on and close the door so it's not like people need an excuse or hide behind something to get rid of you.

It's an interesting thought though. Maybe I should get some BT gear and go canvassing and see what difference it makes.

If the Sun come out for yes, I would respect him.

Sorry but I just cannot agree with you in the slightest. Murdoch demands our disrespect at all times, for all the obvious reasons.

If The Sun comes out and supports Yes they will do so only because it's purely in The Sun's interests, not the interests of the Scottish people.

What's the whizz kid guy from the States saying about it all (I can't remember his name)?

I know he predicted a couple of years back that there was zero chance of a Yes victory. Has he said any more on the topic?

I don't think he has said anything further.

It was a guy called Nate Silver. I can't mind the name of his book, it was Sound and the Noise, or Sound and the Signal. In fairness, he made that prediction while trying to punt his book over here, so it may not have been a considered analysis. It seemed to be a very early prediction, when serious academics went out of their way to say, at the time, it would be too close to call.

To be fair, he has called quite a few things wrong as well. I mind he worked out the Lib Dems in 2010 would make real gains, and they ended up falling back. He's a clever guy undoubtedly, but I've never been convinced politics is about numbers in the same way as he would suggest.

ETA: The book is actually called The Signal and the Noise - I was almost there.

Edited by ScotlandGer

Taxi driver I had last night was a staunch Yes supporter. #momentum

Taxi driver I had last night was telling me about his diarrhea. No indication of how he would vote however.

Edited by Sooky

Sorry but I just cannot agree with you in the slightest. Murdoch demands our disrespect at all times, for all the obvious reasons.

If The Sun comes out and supports Yes they will do so only because it's purely in The Sun's interests, not the interests of the Scottish people.

I agree with you regarding respect for him - as far as I'm concerned he's a despicable individual that has done an immense amount of harm to a lot of people.

But he could play a very interesting part in the next couple of weeks. He is quite clearly desperate to get revenge on Westminster after the way they went after him a couple of years ago (which I personally found glorious - but I'm guessing him not so much). He could possibly bring down the PM and ruin Miliband's chances of becoming PM in one foul swoop.

I would love it if it was the Sun 'what won it' for independence - but I will never have anything but contempt for him or the Sun.

But he could play a very interesting part in the next couple of weeks. He is quite clearly desperate to get revenge on Westminster after the way they went after him a couple of years ago (which I personally found glorious - but I'm guessing him not so much). He could possibly bring down the PM and ruin Miliband's chances of becoming PM in one foul swoop.

Agreed that he could, but that wouldn't explain how anti the Sun and the Times have been up to now. If he had an agenda you'd have thought he'd have put it out there more than 12 days before the referendum.

Agreed that he could, but that wouldn't explain how anti the Sun and the Times have been up to now. If he had an agenda you'd have thought he'd have put it out there more than 12 days before the referendum.

What point would have most impact though? I genuinely don't know the answer to this question but I do know there is still a long time to go.

I reckon if the Sun switched in the last week of the campaign it could tip the balance with no time left for a counter-offensive.

The Sun shifting it's stance shouldn't be rewarded, they have done considerable damage to the campaign up until now.

The analogy is this; you take a woman out for dinner and while you're at the toilet she drops a massive Cleveland Steamer right in the middle of your plate. On your return do you thank her for not pissing in your wine too?

The Sun shifting it's stance shouldn't be rewarded, they have done considerable damage to the campaign up until now.

The analogy is this; you take a woman out for dinner and while you're at the toilet she drops a massive Cleveland Steamer right in the middle of your plate. On your return do you thank her for not pissing in your wine too?

She sounds dead kinky, I'd propose on the spot.

You're weird...

How attractive is she?