Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

Would be a tiny price to pay if it was subsidised by the UKG though.

Golng by the horrendously underhand campaign they've run so far, I genuinely wouldn't put it past the UKG/ BTUKOK to subsidise a bookie to pay out on a No vote in an attempt to get some psychological ground.

It's a 6 figure sum they're paying out. Remarkable really, they must be more confident of a win than I am, and I'm extremely confident.

I see bet fair have decided it's all over: now paying out on a no vote.

I'm really suspicious of this. They couldn't wait THREE days?

Conspiracy?

'The Bureau’s investigation into Tory party funding has revealed that, in addition to extensive donations from the City, the party has received substantial contributions from Edward Wray, co-founder of Betfair, and aviation tycoon Michael Bishop among others.'

http://www.thebureauinvestigates.com...e-square-mile/

Just doing his bit for Queen and country, and probably a knighthood.

Edited by Ross.

'The Bureau’s investigation into Tory party funding has revealed that, in addition to extensive donations from the City, the party has received substantial contributions from Edward Wray, co-founder of Betfair, and aviation tycoon Michael Bishop among others.'

http://www.thebureauinvestigates.com...e-square-mile/

Just doing his bit for Queen and country, and probably a knighthood.

And there you go. That took all of 10 minutes to unravel that little story.

Nah. As I alluded to in another thread, it's publicity. The odds have always been so ludicrously short on a No vote, they've probably made next to no net loss.

Nothing is changed. Still all to play for. Still going to be a Yes win.

Betfair have made a loss on this, but as my post above suggests, this looks very much like writing off a loss in lieu of a donation to his beloved Conservative Party.

I have posted on here a couple of times about the odds being offered on the referendum. Whether people choose to read between the lines(And I made it as easy as I could) is up to them.

Betfair have made a loss on this, but as my post above suggests, this looks very much like writing off a loss in lieu of a donation to his beloved Conservative Party.

I have posted on here a couple of times about the odds being offered on the referendum. Whether people choose to read between the lines(And I made it as easy as I could) is up to them.

Yep - The founder of Betfair was an MOD contractor before he left to start betfair and is the grandson of a tory MP.

They'll be paying out a lot if it's a yes. Pretending it's already over to get people disheartened wouldn't be a terrible strategy.

The bookies will be paying out far more in the event of a No vote than they will in the event of a Yes vote. A yes vote will make the industry a healthy profit. A no vote will result in at least 6 figure losses.

Edited by Ross.

The bookies will be paying out far more in the event of a No vote than they will in the event of a Yes vote.

Really? Higher odds, and there's apparently been more put on yes than no according to oddschecker. (Actually just checked and it's the popularity of the bets rather than the £'s)

Edited by Mr. Bojangles

Really? Higher odds, and there's apparently been more put on yes than no according to oddschecker. (Actually just checked and it's the popularity of the bets rather than the £'s)

The odds for this were not worked out based on probability. There was a strategic decision made to offer "No" at very short odds with the expectancy of flushing out big stakes south of the border who wanted a good return on a short term investment on something that was seen by many as an almost certain outcome. That is exactly what has happened.

Bookies exist to make money. If there is a yes vote, they will make money. That is all I am saying on it.

If Betfair really were doing this to help the No campaign then surely it would be counter-productive.

Send the message that it's a done deal, give some potential No voters a reason not to make the effort to vote, and let Yes sneak in through the back door?

Nah, whatever the reasoning is it'll be to do with maximising profits for the bookmaker, not about politics.

I see bet fair have decided it's all over: now paying out on a no vote.

Are they not paying out 1/4 of the odds though, ie similar to the live in-betting football where you can cash in early at reduced odds?

I'm pretty sure I read this will only cost them £40,000, which is a decent price to pay for all the publicity they're getting from it.

Bookies exist to make money. If there is a yes vote, they will make money. That is all I am saying on it.

This isn't true at all.

If it's a No vote they will make money. Although there have been large amounts placed on No, there are at very short odds. The liabilities are relatively low. There have been plenty of mug money on a Yes vote.

I expect they will profit regardless.

This isn't true at all.

If it's a No vote they will make money. Although there have been large amounts placed on No, there are at very short odds. The liabilities are relatively low. There have been plenty of mug money on a Yes vote.

I expect they will profit regardless.

You'd be surprised.

Final polls...

TNS-BMRB: 5pm Tuesday
ICM: Tuesday night
Ipsos Mori: Wednesday night
YouGov - Wednesday night
Survation - Wednesday night
Opinium - Wednesday night
Panelbase - Wednesday night

Each organisation's most recent poll (Yes-No):

TNS-BMRB: 49-51
ICM: 54-46
Ipsos Mori (Aug 3): 43-57

YouGov: 47-53
Survation: 47-53
Opinium: 48-52

Panelbase: 49-51

Edited by banana

The odds for this were not worked out based on probability. There was a strategic decision made to offer "No" at very short odds

:lol:

What absolute nonsense.

This will be like the "strategic" decision to offer Liverpool at very short odds to beat Ludogorets.

If Betfair really were doing this to help the No campaign then surely it would be counter-productive.

Send the message that it's a done deal, give some potential No voters a reason not to make the effort to vote, and let Yes sneak in through the back door?

Nah, whatever the reasoning is it'll be to do with maximising profits for the bookmaker, not about politics.

Have you seen the state of the BT campaign so far? Why would it surprise you if they made another horrendous strategy call? It's a bit of everything I think.