Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

Not really, no. They don't know who is yes or No before they go to the door number, so how can they be self selecting. Folk who won't answer the door, won't necessarily be doing so because it's RIC. It isn't a demographic profile of Scotland, of course it isn't - but it isn't meant to be either. Therefore it can't be used in place of BPC polling, but it can be a useful supplementary data point on a demogrpahic that is not always, picked up, if at all by BPC pollsters.

one interesting effect of face to face polling and canvassing, by the way, is the larger number of DKs. You can see this in the TNS BPC polling as well as canvassing. Whether that means the online pollsters are self selecting from more politically aware repsondents who are naturally more sure of their voting style, or whether tha act of asking someone face to face creates more reticence in the respondent is interesting to me. The last two RIC canvasses have shown Yes ahead but with a DK as big as the No response. Now, in BPC polling they've been looking for Shy Nos but areguably haven't found it. There is some anecdotal evidence of shy yes responses to BPC pollsters, but you have to wonder: Could someone with a RIC badge etc be producing a shy No response in these canvasses?

I meant more self-selection among respondees than the RIC. Given that the RIC announce in advance that they're going to be mass canvassing a particular area, some may choose to just ignore the knock at the door - especially if they look out of the window and see a bunch of canvassers going round the neighbours. As you said earlier, the response rate would be interesting, but I don't think they publish that. Also unlike with BPC polling, you've got no guarantees about how the question is asked, what else is being asked etc.

I'd be amazed if their latest poll doesn't show something like 65/35 in favour of yes.

I meant more self-selection among respondees than the RIC. Given that the RIC announce in advance that they're going to be mass canvassing a particular area, some may choose to just ignore the knock at the door - especially if they look out of the window and see a bunch of canvassers going round the neighbours. As you said earlier, the response rate would be interesting, but I don't think they publish that. Also unlike with BPC polling, you've got no guarantees about how the question is asked, what else is being asked etc.

I'd be amazed if their latest poll doesn't show something like 65/35 in favour of yes.

Maybe, but then it depends on how much attention you are paying in advance. I don't doubt the many issues involved with canvassing for a partisan organisation, and as I said, you can't treat it as a replacement for BPC polling, it's a supplement - but an interesting one. BPC polling does indicate an uptick in independence support amongst C2D2E percentile voters, so the RIC showing a Yes lead amongst that demogrpahic - their raison d'etre - might not necessarily be self selection or industrial scale lieing to the canvassers.

As with all data points, it's methodology limitations must be considered, and the results filtered accordingly into an overall picture.

If someone from RIC dared to canvass me he would be getting an earful.

Thankfully I'm not a scheme goblin so they will avoid my area (it doesnt suit their agenda)

Yes Scotland themselves did visit, but I didnt answer.

Why do you have to keep borrowing someone elses utterly shite banter?

If someone from RIC dared to canvass me he would be getting an earful.

Thankfully I'm not a scheme goblin so they will avoid my area (it doesnt suit their agenda)

Yes Scotland themselves did visit, but I didnt answer.

Feart.

Hides in the hoose behind his keyboard. SHOCKER.

Anyone who can't decide between a simple yes or no question on such an important issue is a bloody idiot.

Ah, the close cousin of the 'You're either with us or against us' line. I might say that anyone who can't see that the vote is largely irrelevant is a bloody idiot, but that wouldn't be nice. So I'll stick with 'deluded'.

If your going to NOT vote, any chance you could NOT talk? Cheers

No, I'm afraid your fascist interpretation of free speech doesn't apply here. If you can't handle an alternative view then maybe a discussion forum isn't the place for you.

I was going to offer my opinion, but since the rest of the forum have outed you as a complete idiot, I needn't bother

Resident Yes seethemonkey in blind seethe shocker :lol:

Oh dear! "Scotland is not a bloc vote"...

Yes. You seem to find this surprising for some reason.

Almost as many Scots voted for the current Westminster government, as voted for the current Holyrood administration

Ah, the close cousin of the 'You're either with us or against us' line. I might say that anyone who can't see that the vote is largely irrelevant is a bloody idiot, but that wouldn't be nice. So I'll stick with 'deluded'.

No, I'm afraid your fascist interpretation of free speech doesn't apply here. If you can't handle an alternative view then maybe a discussion forum isn't the place for you.

This is about a YES or NO. NOT a none of the above.

Fascist? Alternative view?

You madam are a twat.

This guy keeps jumping to mind when reading some of the topics:

If that's aimed at me then you've got a severe misunderstanding of the position of many non-voters like myself. There's absolutely nothing indecisive about my non-vote, it's a very decisive decision not to vote.

This is about a YES or NO. NOT a none of the above.

Fascist? Alternative view?

You madam are a twat.

Maybe to you it is, it's not to the large minority of non-voters.

Madman? Twat? :lol: You're not a very good advert for the tolerance of the average Yes voter.

Edited by banana

The irony of you throwing accusations of seethe around shows how incredibly thick you are. You really are an angry little chap.

Maybe to you it is, it's not to the large minority of non-voters.

Madman? Twat? :lol: You're not a very good advert for the tolerance of the average Yes voter.

If NO voters want to waist their ballot paper then carry on.

Yeah your right. Not a good advert. I should just stick to calling you a fascist.