Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

Scotland, as seen by Scots and rUK residents is a country.

Maybe it's just the EU who see Scotland as merely a region, or as Viviane Reding said in her letter to McKelvie, a territory.

attachicon.gifmep_map.gif

Today a common way to define a country is say that if it's a member of the United Nations, it's a country. However, the Holy See, or Vatican, isn't a member of the United Nations, but it certainly is a country. The United Kingdom is a member of the United Nations, but the countries of England, Scotland and Ireland aren't, so by the UN rule, they aren't countries.

That of course goes against what the UK government states where it declares that " The United Kingdom is made up of four countries: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. " So yes voters should be supporting the UK Gov. You know it makes sense!

So, if you really want to know how many countries there are, first select the definition you want to use, then allow for where you are and what political views you have, then you have a chance of making an educated guess at the answer!

However the following are generally accepted as Countries.

Can't help but notice that you pair failed to answer my question.

Do you consider Scotland to be a country?

I have my own concerns about how the numbers have been gathered but on the basis of canvassing I have done I wouldn't be at all surprised to see 60-40 for yes in the areas RIC have been canvassing.

What conclusions you can draw from it though I have no idea given the turnout from these areas.

RIC in Dundee claimed they canvassed 500 households in Stobbie - given that you are unlikely to get 500 people in Stobbie that will open the door to you I have my doubts. In my political days (a long time ago) for a normal canvass I was lucky to get at most 30 people opening their door over a 3-4 hour period. Given the relatively few folk I saw helping them at Dens on Saturday I do have doubts about those figures. As you say say there's nothing about voting intention, or even if those canvassed are actually registered voters.

A survey from Survation or YouGov, for all their flaws, is more reliable.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

RIC in Dundee claimed they canvassed 500 households in Stobbie - given that you are unlikely to get 500 people in Stobbie that will open the door to you I have my doubts. In my political days (a long time ago) for a normal canvass I was lucky to get at most 30 people opening their door over a 3-4 hour period. Given the relatively few folk I saw helping them at Dens on Saturday I do have doubts about those figures. As you say say there's nothing about voting intention, or even if those canvassed are actually registered voters.

its not just the RIC that are taking part in these canvasses though, Shona Robison, Stewart Hosie and dozens of folk from the SNP in Dundee are taking part in these. i find it a bit strange that it is badged as RIC to be honest.

They claim to have canvassed 1800 people in the mass canvass in charleston which i find pretty impressive/ hard to believe but they did have about 40 out that day.

However, having said all of that, in similar areas when I have been canvassing in Perth ( around 100 individuals from around 30 households,obviously a very small sample) Yes has been polling at over 50% with undecideds and at 66% without so the actual numbers dont seem completely out of kilter to me.

Again with the caveat that it just one demographic and one that has one of the lowest voter turnouts and registered voters.

You seem to have a terrible opinion of half of Dundee, chum. My auntie lives in Stobbie and she's lovely. You paint it like the Gorbals or something. The cheek you have to imply that i'm a snob astounds me.

You seem to have a terrible opinion of half of Dundee, chum. My auntie lives in Stobbie and she's lovely. You paint it like the Gorbals or something. The cheek you have to imply that i'm a snob astounds me.

Quote where I said that?

I lived in Stobbie for 5 years, as did my step-daughter for 4. Said nothing about it being deprived but that I was surprised that many opened doors. Very transient population, lots of rented accommodation, students - certainly my experiences there in the past was that doors rarely got answered.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

Quote where I said that?

I lived in Stobbie for 5 years, as did my step-daughter for 4. Said nothing about it being deprived but that I was surprised that many opened doors. Very transient population, lots of rented accommodation, students - certainly my experiences there in the past was that doors rarely got answered.

King of the backpedal. When was the last time you were in Dundee anyway?

Does whether one defines Scotland as a country or a region actually make any difference to the importance of the democratic deficit? Is Scotland's democratic deficit worse than, for example, the North of England's, simply because we define Scotland as a country and define the North of England as a region?

I feel like it does, but I'm not sure why. If anything it's actually better as we have our own parliament with devolved power to negate the impact of the deficit that other 'regions' don't have.

I still think it does (I personally think having a more representing government in full control of Scotland is the best reason for voting Yes, and whilst it's not enough to change my vote I think it's the best argument by quite some distance), but I'm not entirely sure why. It feels almost as though I think it does as I've essentially decided it does. Perhaps it's simply due to a different history or because we have a separate legal system/education system etc.

Does whether one defines Scotland as a country or a region actually make any difference to the importance of the democratic deficit? Is Scotland's democratic deficit worse than, for example, the North of England's, simply because we define Scotland as a country and define the North of England as a region?

I feel like it does, but I'm not sure why. If anything it's actually better as we have our own parliament with devolved power to negate the impact of the deficit that other 'regions' don't have.

I still think it does (I personally think having a more representing government in full control of Scotland is the best reason for voting Yes, and whilst it's not enough to change my vote I think it's the best argument by quite some distance), but I'm not entirely sure why. It feels almost as though I think it does as I've essentially decided it does. Perhaps it's simply due to a different history or because we have a separate legal system/education system etc.

The reason you feel that Scotland should be described as a country is because it is.

HTH.

I'm just curious here, but if that is not enough for you, in what scenairo would you be open to a Yes vote, if at all?

Can't help but notice that you pair failed to answer my question.

Do you consider Scotland to be a country?

Wouldn't be allowed on Pointless. Seriously though, if you need to ask you must be suffering from an inferiority complex. Just having a wee bit of fun with the separatists.

The issue of whether Scotland is a country is, to me, the key point in the debate. The 2 key questions are - do you believe Scotland is a country? And do you believe in democracy? If the answer to both those is yes then surely you have to vote yes. To do otherwise would be a total contradiction.

Hardly. Some people may vote purely on whether they think they, or Scotland for that matter, would be better off financially in an independent Scotland or as part of the union.

I'm just curious here, but if that is not enough for you, in what scenairo would you be open to a Yes vote, if at all?

I feel the price we would pay for slightly more representative democracy isn't worth it. I'd vote Yes if I was confident there wouldn't be negative consequences, or if I believed the negative consequences were negated by the positive ones. However I feel we would be risking a lot for not much of a return. Having a more representative democracy for the part of the country I live in I think would be a good thing, but it's fairly low down in the list if things that matter to me.

Confidemus: I believe Scotland is a country, I'm not sure why I think that matters though.

Edited by jmothecat

I feel the price we would pay for slightly more representative democracy isn't worth it. I'd vote Yes if I was confident there wouldn't be negative consequences, or if I believed the negative consequences were negated by the positive ones. However I feel we would be risking a lot for not much of a return. Having a more representative democracy for the part of the country I live in I think would've a good thing, but it's fairly low down in the list if things that matter to me.

Confidemus: I believe Scotland is a country, I'm not sure why I think that matters though.

Who will inflict those negative consequences?

Hope it's not the very people you want to govern you. That would be idiotic.

I feel the price we would pay for slightly more representative democracy isn't worth it. I'd vote Yes if I was confident there wouldn't be negative consequences, or if I believed the negative consequences were negated by the positive ones. However I feel we would be risking a lot for not much of a return. Having a more representative democracy for the part of the country I live in I think would be a good thing, but it's fairly low down in the list if things that matter to me.

You have bought the message of fear from the scaremongers.

Hope will triumph over fear???? (hopefully????)