Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

So by your definition, a person who wishes independence for Scotland because the believe they will be better served by that scenario, is not a nationalist.

Not in the way of the concept of nationalism that your original post alluded to anyway.

My first post of a criticism of someone saying that the only things to consider were, if Scotland was a country or not, and if you believe in democracy. I don't think they are the only two questions to consider.

I'm not a nationalist. If I was Scottish and I was given the options I would look at how the status quo or independence would effect me. Whether I consider Scotland as a country or not wouldn't even come into it.

We already have self governance.

Great. I think we should cut our International Aid Budget...... what is that? we don't control this... OK then how about cutting back the defence budget..... we don't control this either hmmmmm. Well in that case what about:

Increasing Immigration, No?

Data Protection, No?

Broadcasting, No?

foreign policies, No?

Out of work benefits, no?

Pensions, No?

Well surely as the largest oil producing area of the EU we will at least be able to self govern in relation to this.................What - No again!!!!!

Funny shade of self government we have in Scotland.

Great. I think we should cut our International Aid Budget...... what is that? we don't control this... OK then how about cutting back the defence budget..... we don't control this either hmmmmm. Well in that case what about:

Increasing Immigration, No?

Data Protection, No?

Broadcasting, No?

foreign policies, No?

Out of work benefits, no?

Pensions, No?

Well surely as the largest oil producing area of the EU we will at least be able to self govern in relation to this.................What - No again!!!!!

Funny shade of self government we have in Scotland.

You won't control it post independence either. You'll just have a say at a general election when you consider who you vote for, just as you do now.

My first post of a criticism of someone saying that the only things to consider were, if Scotland was a country or not, and if you believe in democracy. I don't think they are the only two questions to consider.

I'm not a nationalist. If I was Scottish and I was given the options I would look at how the status quo or independence would effect me. Whether I consider Scotland as a country or not wouldn't even come into it.

Lets further your line of thought then.

In a hypothetical scenario, your argument suggests that you would be content that Berwick (or wherever you stay) was taken over by, for example, a greater German state.

As long as it suited your individual circumstances?

Great. I think we should cut our International Aid Budget...... what is that? we don't control this...

Right.

What control will you have over this as part of a collection of 5,000,000 plus individuals with contrasting views?

Lets further your line of thought then.

In a hypothetical scenario, your argument suggests that you would be content that Berwick (or wherever you stay) was taken over by, for example, a greater German state.

As long as it suited your individual circumstances?

Well yes, that's what I have been saying. I would weigh up the pro's and cons like I would with any decision.

And the band played believe it if you like...

What would be your problem with this?

The only issue I'd have would be increasing the scale exponentially would increase the likelihood of corruption on a massive scale, as has been evidenced with the EU.

Right.

What control will you have over this as part of a collection of 5,000,000 plus individuals with contrasting views?

What 5m+ voters in Scotland? The SNP have surely taken this too far if they have given everyone the vote. :P

When you add a 4 to the start of your number you begin to see how much less influence I have in the UK. Even less so given the FPTP system used for Westminster. Was I the only one that voted for proportional representation????? (even in the crap AV guise that it was offered!)

Edited by strichener

Hmmmm......

Hmmm....

So which one is it? We already have self governance or we'll never have self governance?

I don't think you understand what self-governance is.

Herre's a clue. We don't have our own persona; army and health service. I can't phone up Alex Salmond or David Cameron and tell them that actually they need to change their policies because I've decided I don't like them.

I don't think you understand what self-governance is.

Herre's a clue. We don't have our own persona; army and health service. I can't phone up Alex Salmond or David Cameron and tell them that actually they need to change their policies because I've decided I don't like them.

You actually can. If you lived where I do you could even go and chap on Alex's front door as I have done in the past.

When you add a 4 to the start of your number you begin to see how much less influence I have in the UK. Even less so given the FPTP system used for Westminster. Was I the only one that voted for proportional representation????? (even in the crap AV guise that it was offered!)

Sorry what?

Your original point was about governmental policies you personally want changed hypothetically. You used the example of cutting the International Aid budget.

What control will you have over whether we do this in an Independent nation of many millions of people?

You actually can. If you lived where I do you could even go and chap on Alex's front door as I have done in the past.

Which policy did he change on your say so?

Are you Brian Souter?

Edited by H_B