Helicopter crashes into Clutha pub, Glasgow

The Master

Guest The Phoenix

My dad said at the weekend, the first he heard was a news item just after 10. A local press reporter had heard a chopper over bargeddie with a spluttering engine.

Seems strange that story hasn't been mentioned since.

Not really given the flight path of the helicopter that crashed meant it was nowhere near Bargeddie,

Yep. I said exactly the same about the father and daughter that were interviewed on sky yesterday. Its painful for them, yes, but let the emergency services do their jobs.

I guess that's easy for us to say sitting here behind our keyboards but can you imagine the frustration and utter desperation of frantically clinging on to the hope that your loved one was somehow still alive in there while on the surface it looks like the emergency services are going about their job at a rather slow and steady pace ?

You'd have to drag me back from rushing in there myself !!

I'm sure they'll reflect and possibly even apologise in time but for now I'm not going to judge them - they are going through absolute and utter hell !

Trying to restart the engines or manouvering the helicopter towards the Clyde would have been more than enough to do

The Sun reporter who was an eye-witness has stated that the aircraft was tumbling nose over tail - if that's a true reflection of what was going on then there's no way he could have done any sort of manouvering - I'm sure that for a good few seconds those on board knew what was coming ... not sure if I'd be radioing 'maydays' under those circumstances !

Perhaps if your dad had informed the authorities they would know, they'll certainly want to know.

Sorry, I'm not sure if you get what I'm saying. It was reported in the news(possibly local radio) about 20 minutes before the crash that a helicopter had been heard with a spluttering engine, over Bargeddie. 20 minutes later the crash happenned.

Maybe the authorities do know, and are asking it be kept out the news?

I find it hard to believe a news editor wouldn't follow it up.

But as someone else says, it's been reported that it was in the south side prior to the accident... Not sure why it would head north east from pollokshields east, instead of north west to the helipad, unless there was no problem what so ever.

Sorry, I'm not sure if you get what I'm saying. It was reported in the news(possibly local radio) about 20 minutes before the crash that a helicopter had been heard with a spluttering engine, over Bargeddie. 20 minutes later the crash happenned.

But as someone else says, it's been reported that it was in the south side prior to the accident... Not sure why it would head north east from pollokshields east, instead of north west to the helipad, unless there was no problem what so ever.

Apologies, it won't be the last time I inadvertently take what I want out of someones post. :)

Went over today for a nosey as I was in the city centre. Obviously tons of streets were blocked so we couldn't be too near it but there was a deafening silence and it was just so eerie. Pretty mental and kinda just sunk in that this happened in the city I live in and not in London or something. A guy came up to us and said two of his friends were at the gig that was in there and can't get a hold of them.

What kind of person goes for a nosey at a death scene. Relatives would want privacy, not rubber neck goons gawping.

Smurph, I'm not offended and you can do what you like, but some folk might be thinking that. Who knows?

At least four folk are still missing...

A woman who got out alive, her pal went to the toilet just before the crash.

The jags fan who booked the gig for the band, his mate is still missing, I think.

Think 2 others have been mentioned.

I guess that's easy for us to say sitting here behind our keyboards but can you imagine the frustration and utter desperation of frantically clinging on to the hope that your loved one was somehow still alive in there while on the surface it looks like the emergency services are going about their job at a rather slow and steady pace ?

You'd have to drag me back from rushing in there myself !!

I'm sure they'll reflect and possibly even apologise in time but for now I'm not going to judge them - they are going through absolute and utter hell !

I keep hearing about these 5 steps after something like this.

I am sure one of them is anger. In this instance, who can the relatives be angry with, other than the emergency services? That will pass though.

SKY have to fill their programming, just a shame they sometimes choose to pick the wrong people to interview at the wrong time. The McGarrigle lad should have left alone, given the circumstances, not shown on nationwide television. Feel for the lad, I really do.

I keep hearing about these 5 steps after something like this.

I am sure one of them is anger. In this instance, who can the relatives be angry with, other than the emergency services? That will pass though.

SKY have to fill their programming, just a shame they sometimes choose to pick the wrong people to interview at the wrong time. The McGarrigle lad should have left alone, given the circumstances, not shown on nationwide television. Feel for the lad, I really do.

I actually don't think that the Jim Murphy interview should have been shown, the guy was quite clearly in shock!

It pissed me off they were then later interviewing witness's specifically asking about the human chain... You were at the door, did you see it... Almost as if they were deliberately trying to throw doubt on the guys account.

Not sure there's any need for a 30 minute documentary the Monday after the event, particularly when no investigation has been complete.

30 minutes to speculate what might have caused the crash, interviews with aviation experts etc. As you say, no need.

It had been at Larkfield Jn ( Just south of the M74 just after it goes Cathcart Rd) helping the BTP look for a trespasser.

What kind of person goes for a nosey at a death scene. Relatives would want privacy, not rubber neck goons gawping. Smurph, I'm not offended and you can do what you like, but some folk might be thinking that. Who knows?

Quite agree, the poor relatives must have felt they were in a zoo, like caged budgies..