SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

2 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

^^^ Is there possibly a bit of wolfhound / deerhound in Rab ??

I did think and ask about that because of the strong similarities, but seemingly not according to the trust / initial owner.  I feel as if we've got one, but one that's less than 100ft tall and doesn't go through a bag of food per day. A win-win, although I'm fully expecting to be answering that same question a lot.

Just back from a 1.5 hr walk, and despite the rehoming notes saying that he pulls on his lead and needs further training with that, he heeled like an absolute champion the whole way.

Notes also said that it's unknown how he deals with cats, and after encountering some en-route, the report card should read: "no f***s given".

Yip,...changing name in your early days with him is absolutely fine as long as you  are consistent in using the new name. Don't confuse him by using a combination of the new name and his former name. Won't be long before you've given him a nickname anyway !

He is a beauty, but I don't see any Staffie in him at all. Maybe you've misheard the rescue people and they were telling you that he may, possibly, be a Beddie / Collie type cross ? Sometimes the volunteers, and even staff, at the general dog rescue type places don't have a clue about Lurchers.

I'm willing to bet (only going by how he looks in the pictures) that Bob will have Deerhound (definitely not Wolfhound), greyhound and/or whippet, collie, and maybe Beddie bloodlines in him.

If you've never had a Lurcher before, can I recommend that you read a book called "The House Lurcher" written by Jackie Drakeford about twenty years ago ? She tells you what you need to know.

Another useful source of information will be the frequent Q&A section of the LurcherLink rescue website. https://www.lurcher.org/llink/forum/index.php

You're going to have so much fun with him.

This one isn't mine, but I love the picture...hope it works...

Mattie.jpg

1 hour ago, Black Pennel said:

Yip,...changing name in your early days with him is absolutely fine as long as you  are consistent in using the new name. Don't confuse him by using a combination of the new name and his former name. Won't be long before you've given him a nickname anyway !

He is a beauty, but I don't see any Staffie in him at all. Maybe you've misheard the rescue people and they were telling you that he may, possibly, be a Beddie / Collie type cross ? Sometimes the volunteers, and even staff, at the general dog rescue type places don't have a clue about Lurchers.

I'm willing to bet (only going by how he looks in the pictures) that Bob will have Deerhound (definitely not Wolfhound), greyhound and/or whippet, collie, and maybe Beddie bloodlines in him.

If you've never had a Lurcher before, can I recommend that you read a book called "The House Lurcher" written by Jackie Drakeford about twenty years ago ? She tells you what you need to know.

Another useful source of information will be the frequent Q&A section of the LurcherLink rescue website. https://www.lurcher.org/llink/forum/index.php

You're going to have so much fun with him.

This one isn't mine, but I love the picture...hope it works...

Mattie.jpg

I think recused just assume all dogs have staffie in them as they fair get about!

I did a DNA test on Shug, was fun to see how daft some of the tiny % were.

11 hours ago, RH33 said:

She is beautiful. 

Wonder if a p&b dog walk would result in a happy band of pouches chanting FTOF and/or a mauling of an OF supporter!

We would wind up under the ban hammer early doors after half the participants trip over Millie and the other half get clattered in the back of the knees when Morse starts running about with a f**king giant stick he's picked up. :lol:

Teaching Millie how to beg. To be fair to her, I started trying to train this last night and she can now just about put the action to the command.

Problem is, she has the back half nailed, but seems to have zero clue with what to do with her crazy front legs.

20230211_113229.jpg

20230211_113313.jpg

41 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Genuine question Riz..........why would anyone want to teach their dog to beg ?

So she can distract folk while Skye nips in and swipes their wallets... obviously.

Edited by Rizzo

On 09/02/2023 at 13:26, Hedgecutter said:

I did think and ask about that because of the strong similarities, but seemingly not according to the trust / initial owner.  I feel as if we've got one, but one that's less than 100ft tall and doesn't go through a bag of food per day. A win-win, although I'm fully expecting to be answering that same question a lot.

Just back from a 1.5 hr walk, and despite the rehoming notes saying that he pulls on his lead and needs further training with that, he heeled like an absolute champion the whole way.

Notes also said that it's unknown how he deals with cats, and after encountering some en-route, the report card should read: "no f***s given".

pity !

"Hold on f***wit, how exactly do you expect me to get home your way with this?"

PXL_20230216_1559278802.thumb.jpg.84d0a0de5ad79b9d40984ceb2fd15dfc.jpg

Bert* is still obviously trying to suss out his limits, but 10/10 for ambition.

PXL_20230216_1543208762.thumb.jpg.28741d7dc303519e1b21ab6cad594618.jpg

*It's what we've gone with.  On the new name tag, so it's official.

Edited by Hedgecutter