SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

23 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

If an retired racing greyhound would be of interest, you could try https://www.homes4hounds.org/available-greyhounds.

Janice is very good at matching the available dogs with the right home.

We got our jast 3 dogs through her - here are the current two

eddie and percy.jpg

They look cracking, i'll have a look at most dogs tbh but im a sucker for labs and GSD's even the belgian ones ive looked at

Seen a massive amount of lurchers in kennels, they are one of the most given up breed by looks of it

1 hour ago, RH33 said:

Various folk rescue from Spain and Romania but I'm always wary.

We were at a park earlier and some w****r had a wee Pitbull looking thing with clipped ears. 😡

Aye even hearing all the good stories about rehoming from spain etc, im always very wary, shame as well

My old dear lives in Greece and she says they treat the dogs like garbage too, fucking hate that

8 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Aye even hearing all the good stories about rehoming from spain etc, im always very wary, shame as well

My old dear lives in Greece and she says they treat the dogs like garbage too, fucking hate that

I've a friend who's partner has home on Greece and rescued two. Long drive home.to Lenzie!

Guest ICTFCwife

My first dog Mikey that I grew up with we rehomed him from the springer spaniel rescue in Scotland. He was a lovely dog and lived till he was 15.

A4773C66-55F7-439F-8C60-18DC36CED868.png

E2A11A94-9383-42FC-A5CE-F1A0AEC7569A.png

Morse is just becoming somewhat sane after being with us for 3 years this week.

He celebrated by getting his head stuck in a bag of cold pressed dog food and battering about the hallway in a blind panic.

IMG-20230513-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20230513-WA0013.jpg

On 13/05/2023 at 20:26, 54_and_counting said:

Seen a massive amount of lurchers in kennels, they are one of the most given up breed by looks of it

On 13/05/2023 at 20:27, 54_and_counting said:

Having had Bert for 3 months now, I can only imagine that many lurchers are lazy sooks that don't quite meet working-dog grade.

After our initial attempt at getting Bert failed, we were at an advanced stage in the process of adopting a collie from Spain (the £550 transport cost had us sitting on the fence) who was described as being 'lovely with people, but absolutely useless at herding sheep', hence why the farmer wanted rid asap.

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Having had Bert for 3 months now, I can only imagine that many lurchers are lazy sooks that don't quite meet working-dog grade.

After our initial attempt at getting Bert failed, we were at an advanced stage in the process of adopting a collie from Spain (the £550 transport cost had us sitting on the fence) who was described as being 'lovely with people, but absolutely useless at herding sheep', hence why the farmer wanted rid asap.

Haha hopefully he got a good home eventually, A lot of the lurchers ive looked at say they need to continue muzzling due to their prey drive, i hate the thought of muzzling my dog, last one hated it when he had to do it at the vets once

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

Haha hopefully he got a good home eventually, A lot of the lurchers ive looked at say they need to continue muzzling due to their prey drive, i hate the thought of muzzling my dog, last one hated it when he had to do it at the vets once

When we first got him, he came with a halti harness that seems to double as a breathable muzzle as he can't open his jaws wide enough to bite anything with it on.

He's not the biggest fan of it of course, but he does indeed dart for fast moving things (and deer in the forest as I discovered recently). We only have him off the lead (often the extended add-on) in out-the-way areas such as quiet beach stretches anyway.  I think he clocked that large mammals would kick his arse seeing as he's not as large/bulky as a deerhound.  As the lurcher bible (recommended by somebody earlier in the thread) says, in the case that he ever catches a rabbit, it'll be a more dignified death than most other ways considering that wild rabbits don't die of old age.

IMG-20230509-WA0007.thumb.jpg.83d90187296f5618c6a4aeedf31a9d5f.jpg

For a relatively skinny dog, he's surprisingly powerful because of the long leg reach.  Apparently that's why he was given up for the second time, as the older couple realised he'd be trickier to handle than they thought (they got him ahead of us because both my other half and I work, and they didn't 😵‍💫).

Edited by Hedgecutter

Came home from work to find my dog having the time of her life 

ADB82DDF-3E9F-41B7-AF84-A7038182B41D.jpeg

Incidentally, just checked on the puppies and this one definitely takes after it’s mother

E8EA0980-FFF4-425A-97F0-31AB5FA62D84.thumb.jpeg.f2220ea490a31fb760a7ea8f42b70217.jpeg

Edited by PSJ.84

On 13/05/2023 at 00:37, RH33 said:

Shug's dog walkers were asked if they knew of anyone who would take a female 3 year old lab.....

Shug isn't all out anti but obviously his space has been invaded, advice on next few days from those who've introduced new dog to fold?

IMG_20230513_054623634.jpg

IMG-20230512-WA0054.jpeg

IMG-20230512-WA0073.jpeg

I saw a hound the spit of your Shug on the river bridge in Bucktown this morning. Struck me as being kinda cool given he's a mixture-maxture and obvs the chances of it being one of his immediate relatives aren't high. Figured it'd be weird to just take photos of unwitting peeps tho. 

4 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I saw a hound the spit of your Shug on the river bridge in Bucktown this morning. Struck me as being kinda cool given he's a mixture-maxture and obvs the chances of it being one of his immediate relatives aren't high. Figured it'd be weird to just take photos of unwitting peeps tho. 

Surely not! If you'd said shadow fair enough as black labs are common. But Shug, well he's one of a kind!