The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Yeah. I think I'll go with that. It would be a bit odd if Villa or St Mirren were forced to play with a glut of black stars adorning their shirts!

Good enough for them, IMHO

4 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

They don't show on the app!

I would put a crying emoji to emphasise the seriousness of the situation but you probably wouldn't be able to see it.

Jesus. We can put a man on the moon but can't seem to sort out a simple set of emoticons / emojis. 

1 minute ago, dee_62 said:

Have you thought about using some kind of colour coded star option?

Aye. They all come out black, hence pissing about with emoticons and emojis (no idea what the difference between them is). 

Just noticed your signature btw :) ... 

3 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Well spotted, well quoted JG :)

Right. I might as well post this now since I might actually have to do some work over lunch....

It’s the final of the Diddly-Dee Jam Jar Trophy!

And in the final, it's the not-so-young upstart Dee_62 up against the battle-scarred veteran, WhiteRoseKillie...  a real Aberdeen vs Celtic tussle in prospect. The only difference being I won't charge you £2.30 for a cup of tea like they do at Hampden. 

And here's the quiz... 11 general knowledge questions and 3 x sets of 3 related questions... no multiple choice... send your answers to me and I'll mark them (if anyone else wants to send me an attempt / put their attempt in spoilers, feel free). 

Pot Pourri (is it just my imagination, or did some TV quiz shows call general knowledge questions pot pourri?)

1. Which is the only EU country where Cyrillic script is habitually used?
  2. Which electoral area was first to declare in the Brexit referendum, with 96% voting to Remain?
  3. Which Briton is the only man in motor sport to have won World Championships on both two and four wheels?
  4. Which island nation is divided politically by a buffer zone known as the “Green Line”?
  5. Which city was location to Guy Fawkes’ birth and Dick Turpin’s death?
  6. In which field of study might information be shared digitally as a GEDCOM file?
  7. When playing Scrabble, which chemical element would earn you the fewest points? (the full name, not the symbol)
  8. The syrup grenadine, a common cocktail ingredient, is traditionally based on which fruit?
  9. Which country’s president has been awarded the 2016 Nobel Peace Prize?
  10. In which country did electronic duo Daft Punk originate?
  11. What term can refer to a second full moon in a calendar month?

Sets of 3 – Robertas on the Beat

• Which TV series featuring a female inspector was set in the fictional Lancashire town of Hartley?
  • Who played Chief Inspector Jane Tennison in a long-running TV police series? 
  • In which Coen Brothers film is a series of murders investigated by heavily pregnant Marge Gunderson?

Pets Win Prizes

• Which Oscar-winning film earned Palm Dog and Golden Collar awards for a Jack Russell called Uggie?
  • What sort of creature was Paul, credited with predicting match results in the 2010 World Cup?
  • Ability in which intellectual field was claimed for the early 20th century racehorse Clever Hans?

Antisocial Sciences

• Embraced by the Nazis, what is the theory and practice of “improving” the genetic quality of humans through selective breeding?
  • What is the name of the discredited “science” which relates personality to the shape of the head?
  • With which cult is the pseudoscience Dianetics particularly associated?

Spoiler

1. Bulgaria?

2. ?

3. John surtees

4. Cyprus?

5. York

6. ?

7. Boron?

8. Orange?

9.?

10. Germany?

11. Blue moon.

Happy valley, Helen mirren, Fargo.

The entertainer?

Octopus

Maths?

Eugenics, phrenology, Scientology.

Bloody difficult final. 

9 minutes ago, blackislekillie said:
  Hide contents

bloody difficult final. 

Of course it's difficult! The cream of P+B are doing battle!

12 out of 20.. good effort. Out of the three people who have submitted questions, you all got the one I considered to be a shoo-in wrong, and the one I thought impossible correct!

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

2 minutes ago, Eednud said:

You know putting answers in a spoiler not a good idea when using app as you can see them.

too late to help me!!  I submitted my response within the first 10 mins.  (that'll give you an idea on how in depth my answers are!)  But if WRK submits now, I can claim "foul" :) 

5 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

They don't show on the app!

We just use good old alpha-numerics.

C = Champion for the bloke who is first

C=Close for the bloke who comes second

C= Crap for the bottom of the table.

No confusion whichever device folk are using and is healthily symbol-free.  I can't see what could go wrong.

Edited by The_Kincardine

We just use good old alpha-numerics.

C = Champion for the bloke who is first

C=Close for the bloke who comes second

C= Crap for the bottom of the table.

No confusion whichever device folk are using and is healthily symbol-free.  I can't see what could go wrong.

I like the sound of this but seeing as how it'll never be me, could we have the winner classed as Winner And New King? (w**k)

2 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

I like the sound of this but seeing as how it'll never be me, could we have the winner classed as Winner And New King? (w**k)

We could have fun with this:

Clearly Understood Nothing on Thursday

Crap on Wednesday

and if we get a lady quizzer, maybe her score on Monday is like Friday.

We could have fun with this:

Clearly Understood Nothing on Thursday

Crap on Wednesday

and if we get a lady quizzer, maybe her score on Monday is like Friday.

My final effort would be
Champion Of Champions, Knowledgeable Winner Of Mainly Brainy League Event.

1. Macedonia. 2. Orkney and Shetland. 3. John Surtees. 4. Ireland. 5. Bristol. 6. Fuctifano. 7. Neon. 8. Melon. 9. Columbia. 10. Sweden. 11. Easter? 12. Wife watches it I've no idea. 13. Pauline Quirk? 14. Pass. 15. Pass. 16. Octopus. 17. Literature. 18. Eugenics. 19. Don't know. 20. Scientology.

They're my guesses.