The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

15 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Welcome btw :)

Edit. Any newcomers too ... that was just Salvo's hazing. 

Another edit. BigBo's suggestion ... the only problem is keeping track of it all. 

I think the only way the Joker can work is for everyone to state their 'Joker Day' prior to the following week's quiz being released. Cut off would have to be an hour or so before the quiz is normally released or else agree that everyone notifies of their joker day when posting the previous Friday's score. Everyone gets some notice that the Joker is coming into effect and we all pick a day to play it. The following week, if someone fails to notify their joker day, they either lose the joker (my preference) or it remains on the day they have previously picked. An extra column in the tables with everyone's last nominated joker day to track this.

For the table placing rules, I'd suggest that the Joker score is removed so we don't end up where someone who scores 6 as a highest during a week but played their joker on a day they scored 2 loses out to someone who scored 5 as their weekly high but also had the joker that day which gave them 10pts. That might be harder to track or avoid a 'cardi' than the actual joker day though.

2 hours ago, gkneil said:

I think the only way the Joker can work is for everyone to state their 'Joker Day' prior to the following week's quiz being released. Cut off would have to be an hour or so before the quiz is normally released or else agree that everyone notifies of their joker day when posting the previous Friday's score. Everyone gets some notice that the Joker is coming into effect and we all pick a day to play it. The following week, if someone fails to notify their joker day, they either lose the joker (my preference) or it remains on the day they have previously picked. An extra column in the tables with everyone's last nominated joker day to track this.

For the table placing rules, I'd suggest that the Joker score is removed so we don't end up where someone who scores 6 as a highest during a week but played their joker on a day they scored 2 loses out to someone who scored 5 as their weekly high but also had the joker that day which gave them 10pts. That might be harder to track or avoid a 'cardi' than the actual joker day though.

Re: jokers... they would inject a wee frisson of excitement but people will definitely forget to nominate a day (and take the hump when they miss out cos they failed to nominate)... also, surely jokers are best suited for quizzes where there are categories ... i.e. if you were good at sport and Thursday was sport day, then you'd play your joker. 

How would anyone feel about dinghying the Ozzie quiz and moving to a themed format? 

14 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Re: jokers... they would inject a wee frisson of excitement but people will definitely forget to nominate a day (and take the hump when they miss out cos they failed to nominate)... also, surely jokers are best suited for quizzes where there are categories ... i.e. if you were good at sport and Thursday was sport day, then you'd play your joker. 

How would anyone feel about dinghying the Ozzie quiz and moving to a themed format? 

All for themed format and picking a subject for the Joker as opposed to the joker being a complete luck of the draw-esque addition

I did find this site the other day, not themed, but not Aussie either. Seems to have a new quiz every day...

http://quizoftheday.co.uk

Questions maybe a bit easier than we are used to so some of the big guns would be getting 10s regularly.

11 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I did find this site the other day, not themed, but not Aussie either. Seems to have a new quiz every day...

http://quizoftheday.co.uk

Questions maybe a bit easier than we are used to so some of the big guns would be getting 10s regularly.

I got 7. Let's try it.

7 minutes ago, The DA said:

Let's stick with the Aussie quiz - I got 8 for Tuesday.  Didn't guess either Aussie question right, though.

Oh, and I played my joker.

How the f**k did you get 8? Knew one,  educated guess with another, a lucky 4.

Edited by welshbairn