F1 2014

deano67

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In other news however, Simona De Silvestro has been signed by Sauber as a affiliated driver with an aim to race in 2015.

I really hope she gets a chance. She's impressed me several times in Indycar, and has looked very capable on road courses despite driving for small teams. I would rate her as the best female single-seater driver in the world at the moment and in a completely different class to drivers like Wolff and Giovanna Amati (the last woman to attempt F1).

OKdoke folks, it's fantasy F1 time again:

Go to www.fantasyracers.com

Register your team

Go to "Join Personal League" and use the league number 421 (We Know What We're Doing)

Share the details with as many people as you want.

That's me signed up, as Bruno Jack O'Malley. I've gone for a few young guns. Wanted Jules Bianchi too but ran out of cash.

Seems like the Renault-engined teams are still having issues at the Bahrain test... :o

I seen Seb stopped in a hail of smoke!!

ERS still overheating :unsure2:

When does SSF1 coverage of this test start??

9PM tonight for a round-up of the day.

I presume SS won't be doing any live testing coverage like last year? I have to say I found it was like watching paint dry.

Maybe someone could YouTube edit 'Greatest Ever Installation Laps' along the same lines of 'In Memory of Backpasses'.... :P

Took in an afternoon's testing in Bahrain the other day. A few thoughts, none of which are particularly insightful.

1. The Bahrain race track will be beautiful when it's finished. And that will involve knocking down the entire grandstand. What a horrendous spectator experience that is. Fair play to the guy for one of the teams with the lap counter board for turning it sideways so the spectators could see what it said. One of the other team officials tried to stop him, but he did it anyway and got a massive round of applause. Otherwise you'd have no idea who was who. For that money, you are better off going to the pub.

2. My goodness the Caterham is ugly.

3. My goodness the Mercedes is pretty.

4. The Ferraris were running some kind of weird set up. All the photos I've seen of their car have the T shape at the rear, but they were weird inverted cones from what I saw. The Ferrari car is significantly higher pitched than any other car I saw.

5. It's really hard to take photos of F1 cars on an iPhone.

I was waiting till after the Bahrain testing before making any comments, but I do think Renault are in more trouble than they are letting on. Even today Renault are saying that they are weeks behind.....I'll say it's more likely months. So where did it go wrong, well Sam Collins made a few interesting points while on Radio LeMans Midweek Motorsport show (from about the 7th minute in) a couple of weeks ago.

Before testing, the thinking was that Renault was the engine to be with, they had good results coming from their rolling road and everything seemed good on paper. When it went into the cars then everything went to pot and it turns out that it may be that the rolling road was not calibrated correctly, it turns out that the Red Bull, Torro Rosso and Lotus have designed cars with incorrect data with regards to heat dissipation.

McLaren look good though, Ferrari also for efficiency and Mercedes for pure pace.....despite everything I'm looking forward to the first few races where I think we'll see a fair few retirements, maybe even a good old fashioned engine blowout.

I was waiting till after the Bahrain testing before making any comments, but I do think Renault are in more trouble than they are letting on. Even today Renault are saying that they are weeks behind.....I'll say it's more likely months. So where did it go wrong, well Sam Collins made a few interesting points while on Radio LeMans Midweek Motorsport show (from about the 7th minute in) a couple of weeks ago.

Before testing, the thinking was that Renault was the engine to be with, they had good results coming from their rolling road and everything seemed good on paper. When it went into the cars then everything went to pot and it turns out that it may be that the rolling road was not calibrated correctly, it turns out that the Red Bull, Torro Rosso and Lotus have designed cars with incorrect data with regards to heat dissipation.

McLaren look good though, Ferrari also for efficiency and Mercedes for pure pace.....despite everything I'm looking forward to the first few races where I think we'll see a fair few retirements, maybe even a good old fashioned engine blowout.

So Red Bull to run away with again then probably :lol:

Brilliant stuff in the papers in the last few days about Susie Wolff. In Saturday's Sun she was described as a "bike ace", while in today's Record story about her getting practice sessions for Williams there is this gem: "Susie joined the team in 2012 after blazing a trail on the German touring car circuit."

Also talks about an FAI licence.

Archived