EU membership

invergowrie arab

So was H_B telling a lie when he said that the EU was prepairing legal opinion on Indy Scotland?

I never said at any point that the EU was preparing a legal opinion on Indy Scotland.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THE European parliament is to set out its legal advice on whether an independent Scotland could be fast-tracked into EU membership.

A formal legal opinion from the parliament’s lawyers will be published within the next few weeks in what will be a major test of the SNP government’s claim that it could be swiftly admitted to the EU through a treaty amendment.

Maximises free trade: You have free movement of people and capital with mainland Europe via the EU and maximise the same with a notional rUK outside the EU via the currency union.

Fair point. It just seemed that if there was really a risk, it might be more prudent to set your own monetary policy, or pursue greater intergration with Europe, rather than be dicatated to by a country outside of the common market.

Not that UK or rUK is going to be leaving the EU.

And? A huge rump of Scots also want to leave the EU.

That'll be why UKIP and the Tories are an utter irrelevance north of the border compared to England.

I would prefer my representatives to be honest and open with the public on issues such as the EU and immigration, hence I'll voting for independence.

There are also huge numbers of Scots, of all political persuasions, who want to leave the EU. But no frontline political parties.

Thanks for playing though.

I was just pointing out the problem with the coherence of your response. It doesn't mean I agree with what was said.

I'll try to explain my point, as you must have misunderstood.

The following two statements are bollocks:

A: Scotland will not be allowed into the EU.

B: The UK will leave the EU

So if A is thrown at me, it's reasonable for me to throw back B. And of course, if I say B, even in jest, you're welcome to use your equally bollocks A. That's why I said quid pro quo. In fact, I'll even let you throw in the megabollocks 'it's like the situation with Kosovo' and ask for nothing in return.

That'll be why UKIP and the Tories are an utter irrelevance north of the border compared to England.

What does that have to do with many hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions, of Scots wishing to leave the EU?

Do you think all those people who argued the rest of the UK deserved a say in the 2014 referendum would argue that the rest of Europe deserved a say in an in/out UK referendum on the EU?

I was just pointing out the problem with the coherence of your response. It doesn't mean I agree with what was said.

I'll try to explain my point, as you must have misunderstood.

The following two statements are bollocks:

A: Scotland will not be allowed into the EU.

B: The UK will leave the EU

So if A is thrown at me, it's reasonable for me to throw back B. And of course, if I say B, even in jest, you're welcome to use your equally bollocks A. That's why I said quid pro quo. In fact, I'll even let you throw in the megabollocks 'it's like the situation with Kosovo' and ask for nothing in return.

I have never said Scotland will not be allowed into the EU, so I'm not sure why you have meandered down this highway of irrelevance.

THE European parliament is to set out its legal advice on whether an independent Scotland could be fast-tracked into EU membership.

A formal legal opinion from the parliament’s lawyers will be published within the next few weeks in what will be a major test of the SNP government’s claim that it could be swiftly admitted to the EU through a treaty amendment.

I have never said Scotland will not be allowed into the EU, so I'm not sure why you have meandered down this highway of irrelevance.

I realise that, though it took until page 6 of this thread for you to clarify that you did not agree with Barroso's comments, which were the OP's focus of attention.

A poster used statement B from above, not directed at you in particular. You called this a lie. I said it was a reasonable, quid pro quo response to people who use A. You didn't see any symmetry there, so I explained further, with examples.

This will be such a non-event. Does anyone think it won't say that Scotland will need to reapply? The only thing that matters is whether we will have a continuation of the treaties applying in Scotland while we make our application or whether we will be outside, temporarily or not. And that will not be confirmed one way or the other until there is a Yes vote.

I'm beginning to think Barroso has done the SG a big favour by diverting (at least some) attention away from the currency issue onto this.

This will be such a non-event. Does anyone think it won't say that Scotland will need to reapply?

Haven't you read the White Paper? The Scottish Government have legal advice that says this isn't the case, and I'm sure they are right.

Haven't you read the White Paper? The Scottish Government have legal advice that says this isn't the case, and I'm sure they are right.

Lawyers in contradictory legal advice shocker. Yawn. You make law sound like a science, or at least some kind of profession with integrity. Complete bollocks.

Lawyers in contradictory legal advice shocker. Yawn. You make law sound like a science, or at least some kind of profession with integrity. Complete bollocks.

Who provided the Scottish government's legal advice and where is it?

A formal legal opinion from the parliaments lawyers will be published within the next few weeks in what will be a major test of the SNP governments claim that it could be swiftly admitted to the EU through a treaty amendment.

Can you provide a link to this news? Would be interesting to read more about it.

That's a direct quote from the article in the Scotsman.

You have stated on a number of occasions on here that this advice is due to be published soon. Do you have any evidence other than a line that appeared in a unionist newspaper that you havent linked?

You have stated on a number of occasions on here that this advice is due to be published soon. Do you have any evidence other than a line that appeared in a unionist newspaper that you havent linked?

I have linked to it several times.

It has been reported in the Nationalist rag, the Herald as well as the Scotsman.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/legal-advice-on-scottish-eu-membership-within-weeks.23373248

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-eu-to-outline-legal-advice-1-3298316

"Legal advice has been sought by the European Parliament’s constitutional affairs committee chairman Carlo Casini, an Italian Conservative politician."

Archived